RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO scripting.

Zulu

Wanderer
RunUO scripting.

I am just wondering about scripting on RunUO. I am not sure if these questions have been answered in other areas.

What application do people use to code? Is it done in Microsoft's C#
Do we need to compile the code in Microsoft's C# or is there a compiler in the RunUO.

When RunUO is released, what is going to be finished? We people running shards need to code any skills?

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Re: RunUO scripting.

Zulu said:
I am just wondering about scripting on RunUO. I am not sure if these questions have been answered in other areas.

What application do people use to code? Is it done in Microsoft's C#
Do we need to compile the code in Microsoft's C# or is there a compiler in the RunUO.

When RunUO is released, what is going to be finished? We people running shards need to code any skills?

At this time, we are runtime compiling all scripts (meaning that at boot of the server your scripts in the 'scripts' directory get runtime compiled.

For the Initial non-beta release we should have all skills done. For the beta 1 we will obviously not have all skills done :)

Hope this helps... if not ask away some more ;)

R

Rainman

I am sure they will have a recompile function on the console. It only makes sense. So I am sure scripts on the fly will be fine.

Dreoth

Wanderer
If so, may want to add something so that it doesnt have to recompile a script unless its last modified date has changed?

L

Lost User

Will RunUO have to be run on an NT-based OS (2k, XP, you know) to compile the scripts (since they are in C# and as far as I can tell you can't M$ decided not to let anyone using ME or older non-NT versions of windows be able to compile C#.)

Dreoth

Wanderer
Well, my mom uses a Windows 98 machine and has the .NET Framework installed... don't think you would need a NT 5.0 kernel to run it...

J

Justae

Hello,

I would very much like to contribute to the coding base for RunUO, if you're looking for any help at all with C#

I currently run a highly-successful POL-based Shard in South Africa named The Forgotten Realm and what you folk are doing with .NET is the way to go. I'm very much into development and my shard is under constant evolvement in terms of scripts. The world is now 13 months old with no wipes at all.

Any person or persons in particular that I can contact?

Regards
Justae

K

Krazy_zack

Well, my mom uses a Windows 98 machine and has the .NET Framework installed... don't think you would need a NT 5.0 kernel to run it...

Win98SE with .net and running it right now. (but I wouldn't sudgest doing this for a public server unless you want to restart the 'puter once a day... Dam memmory leaks...) ;)