RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving and Ram consumption

KonssnoK

Sorceror
Saving and Ram consumption

Making consumption tests looking for an host i found those "problems"..

evey I/O is a save ( purple )
Ram ( yellow ) increase at every save.. ( not so much but it does ) and this is not good..
Teorically saving shouldn't leave ram consumption the same?

This is also with spawning ( i'm using nerun's premium spawner )

the great increasing of ram is dued to world item spawning ( doors and decoration )

even after saving it does not decrease .. Only restarting keeps ram from 220 to 92 mega consumption..

Core problems? :p

Thanks

squishy

Wanderer
Wrong forum - Someone might want to move the thread.

However, the .NET GC will only collect when there is memory pressure. So although your application hogs more ram, it will release it once you come close to using up the other 3.5 gigs you probably have in your machine :)

KonssnoK

Sorceror
squishy;758257 said:
Wrong forum - Someone might want to move the thread.

However, the .NET GC will only collect when there is memory pressure. So although your application hogs more ram, it will release it once you come close to using up the other 3.5 gigs you probably have in your machine :)

which is the right forum?

i got lot of gb of ram, but my server does not :p
So if i put server on a 512 mega ram it will release it after saving?

old_school

Wanderer
Well I assume your running 2.0 server. Heres the thing. 1.0 uses around 192 mb on average on my server before people log in. 2.0 uses around 512 on average before log ins. the differance is this 2.0 supports new stuff and more stable. However, being more stable requires more ram. Kinda like compareing windows 98 to windows XP. I also seen your using Vista. yeah good luck to you on that POS OS. I work for the geek squad and See Vista daily. Those whom ts working for awsome. But for the other 99% of the world yeah they agree Vista is trash. I would probly go back to XP and you will see a huge differance in your hosting. Vista for one is a mem hog and 2.0 in a way is a mem hog too. However, if you use XP and 2.0 togethier the mem hogging is not that bad and your server will run alot smoothier. as far as this being a Core issue not realy. More of a Core improvement. I hope that helps

KonssnoK

Sorceror
YEah i'm using Vista, but only on my Home pc, and i got 4 giga ram
( and it's working nice, even when i code with vs2008 )

but all host server got XP on them :)

b0b01

Sorceror
You can run

Code:
GC.Collect();

whenever you want to to free up unneccesary ram, however this will take processing time. Anyway if you got such a bad server these days i would say just upgrade it.