RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scripting In VB.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmiller21

Wanderer
Scripting In VB.NET

I have some time off from work and school and I am going to be making some scripts in VB.NET for RunUO. On doing so I will write a little tutorial/converting essay on doing so. BTW if anyone on the forums has any questions regarding VB post here and I will try to offer my advice and assistance.

- Ryan(Not the admin Ryan)

Phantom

Knight
rsmiller21 said:
I have some time off from work and school and I am going to be making some scripts in VB.NET for RunUO. On doing so I will write a little tutorial/converting essay on doing so. BTW if anyone on the forums has any questions regarding VB post here and I will try to offer my advice and assistance.

Just a suggestion :)

If your good enough to work with VB.NET without help then you should. But writting a guide to help people who cannot even code in C# write code in VB.NET is a mistake.

There are very few people who can help them. Thus when they have troble only a few select people can help him.

Your welcome to do this guide, just inform people of that fact, that by writing a script in VB.NET they don't gain anything.

Wrycina

Wanderer
If anyone wants to see a script in VB.Net then download SharpDevelop...You can open scripts you already have in C# and convert them to VB.Net.

rsmiller21

Wanderer
If your good enough to work with VB.NET without help then you should. But writting a guide to help people who cannot even code in C# write code in VB.NET is a mistake.

lol, Phantom that is very true and some of the posts I have seen here are kinda scary. Sometimes I wonder if some of these people would instead go out and buy a book or two on programming instead of buying toys, a skateboard or a bag of pot most of these questions wouldn't be answered here.

This tutorial here is pretty simple. In it you are creating a "sample item". Basicly, I am showing side by side comparisons between C# and VB code. It is stated in the introduction that "help will be very very limited in the RunUO forums given the fact that RunUO was founded on C# and therefore supports C# development."

This tutorial will not be a primer into writting in VB for RunUO and not meant for amature programmers. This is meant for those that might want to actualy take the time to learn a new programming language on their own(With that limited support) through their own experimentation(Trial and error, something I guess they don't teach in school anymore).

Anyways, I feel like I am ranting so I will just stop now. Thanks for your post Phantom your suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Phantom said:

Why is it worse? Does it matter which language they can't write code in? VB.Net might be easier for some since its more verbose in syntax. I mean, its like writing a damn paragraph that you could turn in as an English paper.

rsmiller21

Wanderer
VB English Paper:

Private Const​

Imports System
Imports System.Text

Public Class WhyIHateOracleDBAAndForms

Public Sub WriteCrap()

For i as Integer To 150
TextBox1.Text = TextBox1.Text & " Oracle Forms Suck "​
Next​
End Sub​
End Class

Use that code and let me know if it works lol. A+ hurray!

My teacher said: "Brilliant work! A++! I wasn't sure what was going to happen there at the end, and that End Sub totally threw me!"

Arvoreen

Sorceror
TheOutkastDev said:
Why is it worse? Does it matter which language they can't write code in? VB.Net might be easier for some since its more verbose in syntax. I mean, its like writing a damn paragraph that you could turn in as an English paper.

I agree! I personally can't stand VB myself, but that doesn't mean other people might not gain something from it. Just like people that know C/C++/C# might say "Why learn VB? It's useless", people that are all into VB could say "Why would you want to do C? It's ugly", or something.

The more resources people have, the better all around, IMHO. :)

rsmiller21

Wanderer
I wouldn't say VB is useless... I have been working for a freelance company for about 6 months now and all we work with is VB and ASP. I personaly have written a Administation backend in a project that connects to a Oracle Server. This application was written for Huntsman Chemical(A company of Exxon Mobile) for chromatography related retrieval and storage. Basicly, the project that I have worked with is helping to make the gassoline you put in your car or truck. I wouldn't say that is useless.

Anyways, from a beginners stand point VB might be a little easier to understand. This is the beginning of the class not end it here. Begin your procedure here and end it here. It is pretty straight forward. However, VB does have its draw backs but for the development of simple scripts written for the RunUO community this language should be just fine. I believe this is a untapped resource for the beginners to work with to better understand the fundamentals of programming.

David

Moderate
There is one impact of RunUO scripting in VB verses C# that users should be aware of. Since the compiler processes all C# scripts first and VB scripts second, VB scripts can reference methods and properties from C# scripts--but C# scripts cannot reference methods and properties of VB scripts. They don't yet exist when the C# scripts are processed.

It is actually more a limitation on C#, and may never pose a problem, but it is only an issue if there are VB scripts present. Just wanted to be sure you were aware of that point--it may be good to mention in your tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.