RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Server force screenshot via razor?

Iraq-

Sorceror
Is there any way a server could force a user to take a screenshot using razor and an in-game command? (in the future, i'm well aware that there isn't currently.)

On fps style games, and before punk buster, this was used as a method of catching players running cheat programs and using modified client files. (The server admin would force a screenshot of a suspected cheater, and request that they send the screenshot in via email to lift a ban.)

The function could also prove useful when players are having in-game/client side issues and have paged a staff.

Of course, if the player wasn't using razor, then they'd remain unaffected - but since it's a widely used tool - and has video/screenshot functionality - I figure it's worth the shot as asking.

fwiffo

Sorceror
Screenshotting ONLY the game window could be a great idea, but It would require a lot of work, because the client then have to send this damn file to server in some way.

Iraq-

Sorceror
Well even without it forcing to send to the server (which imo wouldn't be all that hard since razor already has the server information) it'd still be useful. In the past on other games the server (or rather an admin of the server) could force a screenshot which would get saved into that games folder (in this case it'd go into the razor folder) and then it was requested that they send the screenshot in, but was left upto the user to actually do it.

Example scenario:
1) Admin suspects user of hacking.
2) Admin forces screenshot of user.
3) Screenshot goes to users game folder.
4) Server notifies user of screenshot, and asks user to send the screenshot back into the Admin via email.
5) Server bans user.
6) A. User sends screenshot into Admin as instructed.
B. User ignores instructions and remains banned.
C. User attempts to alter screenshot and sends edited image into Admin.
7) A. Admin checks screenshot and un-bans user if all is well, else user remains banned.
B. N/A - user remains banned.
C. Admin checks screenshot, notices the issues, and user remains banned.

Additional scenarios:
- A user is having an issue with their cleint and messed up art files, the admin doesn't know exactly what the user is talking about and forces a screenshot. The admin asks the user to send the screenshot in, and the user agrees. The admin receives the screenshot and is able to help the user find the solution to the art file issue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

It could even be a feature that could be disabled by the user via a checkbox in ScreenShot options ("Allow Server-Forced Screenshots [yes/no]").

The server could choose to "require" the user to enable the feature at connection (similar to the way FPS games require punkbuster to run on a user's machine ) - and kicks them out if they choose not to comply.

(Truly, it'd be best if we had a punkbuster-type program linked in that checked for certain programs running in the background like FPS games do, but that's even more unlikely than this feature is.)

fwiffo

Sorceror
the problem is, I don't think that razor is still under development...Anyway I don't see any legal problem in doing only game screenshot, there isn't any reason to do otherwise.

That could be a really nice feature.

If there was the possibility to get an hand on Razor source I would do it myself, but I think that is mostly impossible.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
(Truly, it'd be best if we had a punkbuster-type program linked in that checked for certain programs running in the background like FPS games do, but that's even more unlikely than this feature is.)

You have any idea how much money companies waste trying to stay ahead of hackers/crackers when it comes to stuff like this? People always find ways around it, or ways to break it, or ways to trick it. It's like trying to keep a lighter lit in the middle of a water fall.

Wouldn't be worth the time and effort.

Iraq-

Sorceror
I know pure insanity, but it wouldn't need to just be for catching hackers, it could have very nice uses for these runuo servers. (I also know it's far fetched, and highly unlikely to ever be accomplished, especially with the development of these things not really being of priority anymore, but it's still worth putting out the idea in hopes of the off chance somebody wants to take on a project and searches here for ideas).

Another possible scenario:
A staff could put a trigger on a mob called (something like) "ScreenShotWorthy = true" and then when that mob dies, the people who killed it would automatically take a screenshot of the beast falling. Then, they could send it into the server, or post it on the servers website/forums.

Additional features could include: A cloud web-space that a server could register and then the users could sign up (if they wanted) to automatically post some of the screenshots as they are taken. With a scrolling slideshow of recently submitted screenshots that could be linked into the servers front page website.

Iraq-

Sorceror
Really, I just wish there was more we could do as server admin/owners to utilize the feature-packed Razor client practically all of our players are running to play our servers. Razor has so many features that could be beneficial to a server and server's community, but it's mostly all inaccessible. I'm just hoping to chip away and reveal some of the underwater iceberg to benefit our community, both our Server's and RunUO's.

I know there is already code which allows a server to interact with the user's Razor client, as demonstrated by the ability to Enable/Disable razor features based on server preferences.

fwiffo

Sorceror
The problem is this: One thing is to have the server ready-to-use (if you want to use a almost-finished OSI replica), and then write "scripts" in there, having tons of information available, having good custom script base were you can take ideas, having good algorithms in the background doing some work for you...

One thing is to implement something inside a client helper.

I think it is bad that razor don't have many new things implemented in it. Ok, windows 7 compatibility issues solved is good, but I think it needs really a RENEW. Something useful to both shard admins and players.

Screenshot request by server would be one thing, there is nothing bad in my advice, you can only see what is going on in game, nothing else, but there is also need for: (this is not my case...but anyway)
- Support for mapping on new client and above smooth movement
- Other removable/adjustable features, like auto-ore-log-resources drop to ground, allow calculation of crc32 of game files prior of client loading?

Well, I know this will never happen; again, if I had something in hand were I could work on, this could become true in some way. But beginning from scratch now, is a pain and I don't think something will happen now, UO is a good game and still has some fashion, but something is missing...We are missing new players and new minds...we are almost all old.

The younger of you ACTIVELY DEVELOPING is? 20?! 24?!
There is no hope if there is no new (and young with lot of *free* time) people interested in this game.

Excuse me for my rant...I'm just nostalgic.

Iraq-

Sorceror
I really wish there was, but seeing as razor is a closed source application and the original project owners aren't around, no.

The creator of Razor (Zippy) is no longer actively involved in UO and quit a while ago .... even if he wanted to make a quick fix - he does not have the applications installed on his computer anymore and would prob not reinstall them...so theres really no chance in the above change ever happening

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
Other team members also have the source, but yeah...nothing will ever happen with Razor other than fixes for new clients.