RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shard Bandwidth

Darkzuel

Wanderer
Shard Bandwidth

Im starting my server soon for my .com gaming site, and was woundering how much internet bandwidth would a 30-50 player server take up? I'm on a limit of 20 gb a month with extra bandwidth options which either cost more or minus out on the next months bandwidth amount.

Phantom

Knight
Darkzuel said:
Im starting my server soon for my .com gaming site, and was woundering how much internet bandwidth would a 30-50 player server take up? I'm on a limit of 20 gb a month with extra bandwidth options which either cost more or minus out on the next months bandwidth amount.

Your going to need alot more then 20gb a month.

What your going to need can't be calculated but I can tell you, you would go through 20gb of data transfer very quickly.

I would say you could get by perhaps with 100gb/month you might need mroe, depends if your active 24/7 or if its only busy for a fraction of any given day.

Darkzuel

Wanderer
Well I might have to change some things, like have the server just for 20 people or so at a time, and have on site reg. Then open up slots once inactive accounts are no longer being used.

I ran a 70 people Ragnarok Server on 10 gb a month bandwidth and it didn't even use close to that in a month. It was pretty active too.

Phantom

Knight
Darkzuel said:
Well I might have to change some things, like have the server just for 20 people or so at a time, and have on site reg. Then open up slots once inactive accounts are no longer being used.

I ran a 70 people Ragnarok Server on 10 gb a month bandwidth and it didn't even use close to that in a month. It was pretty active too.

Do what you want...This isn't Ragnarok, were talking about a more advanced game which uses more bandwidth.

Darkzuel

Wanderer
Well I wont take your word for it, i'll have to ask someone who has experince in knowing how much bandwidth the avg player takes. Oh and I don't see how it's more advanced in anyway, just differntly made. Data is data, so don't talk about matters you don't know about. :)

EDIT: So if anyone knows how much bandwidth your going to need for 20 people, that would be great, please have common sense to back what your saying up. :)

Wasn't it like 3 kilobytes per second per player? 3 up 3 down? Maybe less, because I've been on a server someone was hosting on dial-up on the other side of the world. Well with 3 people online, of which one was local. There was no lag there.

If that figure is accurate, then you would need about 520MByte (up and down combined) of bandwith per user per day, counting there is a user logged in 24 hours straight, and he's busy doing something all the time. And you have only 600MB per day to spend, if you have a 20GB limit each month, and that limit counts both up and downstream traffic.

I'm glad that my broadband connection at home has Fair Use policy.

sicron

Sorceror
Darkzuel said:
Do I know this person? Know, so therfore I wont take his word on it right off the bat.
then perhaps you should research a little bit on him before you question what he knows about and what he doesnt...I dont blame you for not taking someones word right off the bat, but when you make comments like
Darkzuel said:
i'll have to ask someone who has experince in knowing how much bandwidth the avg player takes. Oh and I don't see how it's more advanced in anyway, just differntly made. Data is data, so don't talk about matters you don't know about.

EDIT: So if anyone knows how much bandwidth your going to need for 20 people, that would be great, please have common sense to back what your saying up.

I think thats a little out of line especially from someone looking for help

I say every person is about 100kbps based on that when I get about 30 online on my 3.0mbps connection is when players start to lag. But it also depends on your bandwidth, but I'm gonna tell you your gonna need about 10.0 mbps bandwidth and you will probably use every bit of it all the time, so just figure 10 x seconds in a month = monthly bandwidth... That would be about 432 GB. Your best off getting an unlimited bandwidth server...

Darkzuel

Wanderer
Alright thanks! :)

To the person who "reported me" Thats just fine, if you belive I have broken a rule then reporting me is what you should do. :)

bzk90

Lord
Darkzuel said:

To the person who "reported me" Thats just fine, if you belive I have broken a rule then reporting me is what you should do. :)

phantom is propably one of the most respected people in this community, if anyone knows how much bandwidth you need its going to be him or the dev team (keep in mind that phantom has done extensive work for the runuo devs)

take the advice because 90% of the time phantom is right

Phantom

Knight
Darkzuel said:

I have alot of experience and knowlege, I know what kind of bandwidth small shards use, and what kind of bandwidth UO Gamers: Hyrbid uses. Its not possible to do a calculation like this, my suggestion was to give you small amount of bandwdith to start you could increase from there.

Trying to question my knowlege is foolish but your welcome to do so, since you can prove my statments were not valid, because here is a shocker they were.

Packer898

Knight
Darkzuel said:
Do I know this person? Know, so therfore I wont take his word on it right off the bat.

Ever heard the expression: Dont bite the hand that feeds you? The rudeness was totally uncalled for and will cause you to not get help from the people you will probably need it most from.

You dont know anyone on here so dont trashing people when they give you Knowledgable answers. Obviously you dont know how this game works or you wouldnt have to ask the question. And comparing one game to antoher in terms of the amount of data sent back and forth probably wont work. Maybe ask the question a defferent way.

Why dont you ask people that run a shard to tell you Avg players online monthly and the bandwidth they have now. THen ask if they think for that many players they could use more/less. Seems pretty simple.

/Rant off

Phantom

Knight
Packer898 said:
Ever heard the expression: Dont bite the hand that feeds you? The rudeness was totally uncalled for and will cause you to not get help from the people you will probably need it most from.

You dont know anyone on here so dont trashing people when they give you Knowledgable answers. Obviously you dont know how this game works or you wouldnt have to ask the question. And comparing one game to antoher in terms of the amount of data sent back and forth probably wont work. Maybe ask the question a defferent way.

Why dont you ask people that run a shard to tell you Avg players online monthly and the bandwidth they have now. THen ask if they think for that many players they could use more/less. Seems pretty simple.

/Rant off

This is good advice, find another admin with similar stats, the problem is you most likely won't find a small shard professionaly hosted ( would be a waste of money ). But you can ask if they keep stats at least.

Paying to host a shard for 20 people, seems like a waste...

Darkzuel

Wanderer
Well sorry, Im new to RunUO and Im not up todate with who has worked with the dev team. Thanks for the help everyone. :cool:

Cyndrz

Wanderer
I feel bad for even letting this get to me but it did cause I am tired of going threw this forum and finding these kinds of arguements, the only rudeness I found in this post where the one that never even tried to give out a somewhat decent answer but instead post info no one needed to know , like who helped who and on what dev team. This is the new join forum so question can be posted in any form and shouldnt be left for attack from the communitie. I understood the question just fine the way it was.

Recommendation: I think Phantom is a big boy and can take care of himself

But hey here is your chance to flame me and prove just how ugly people can be on this forum....or should I say in this communtie, sounds more like a few have some strange click going on there.

Darkzuel, I would say that testing this for yourself would give you the best answer, sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Darkzuel

Wanderer
I have already tested it a bit, I think if I go for a public server then my best bet is to get as much bandwidth as possible, thanks.