RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shard Bandwidth

Arajh

Wanderer
Darkzuel said:
Well sorry, Im new to RunUO and Im not up todate with who has worked with the dev team. Thanks for the help everyone. :cool:

- newguy : help! I'm new here
- other guy : Yeah ? what's the problem?
- newguy : are you a Developper or something ?
- other guy : no...
- newguy : Oh! so you know nothing! you can't help me...
- newguy : help! I'm new here...

Phantom

Knight
Cyndrz said:
I feel bad for even letting this get to me but it did cause I am tired of going threw this forum and finding these kinds of arguements, the only rudeness I found in this post where the one that never even tried to give out a somewhat decent answer but instead post info no one needed to know , like who helped who and on what dev team. This is the new join forum so question can be posted in any form and shouldnt be left for attack from the communitie. I understood the question just fine the way it was.

Recommendation: I think Phantom is a big boy and can take care of himself

But hey here is your chance to flame me and prove just how ugly people can be on this forum....or should I say in this communtie, sounds more like a few have some strange click going on there.

Darkzuel, I would say that testing this for yourself would give you the best answer, sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Who are you directing your comment to?

I thought my post gave him alot of information that was helpful. Does anyone disagree?

I am not a developer, but that doesn't mean I don't know alot about programming and how RunUO ticks. I also know what kind of stats other shards use, I am friends with those people, so I over time have asked those questions,

I also hang out in the irc channel, which means Ryan over the course of 3 years, has complained/stated how much bandwidth UO Gamers uses.

Phantom

Knight
bzk90 said:
phantom is propably one of the most respected people in this community, if anyone knows how much bandwidth you need its going to be him or the dev team (keep in mind that phantom has done extensive work for the runuo devs)

take the advice because 90% of the time phantom is right

I have NEVER worked with the Developers in an official postion.

The only exception is the word I did on Factions with Asayre ( who wasn't a developer at the time ).

Darkzuel

Wanderer
Lets just stop posting here, it doesn't matter, I got my help and thanks to all who helped, to those that flamed well you know who you are. ;) Take care all and thanks again for the help!:cool:

bzk90

Lord
Phantom said:
I have NEVER worked with the Developers in an official postion.

The only exception is the word I did on Factions with Asayre ( who wasn't a developer at the time ).

never said official, but you put a great deal of time into the factions system

Phantom

Knight
bzk90 said:
never said official, but you put a great deal of time into the factions system

I just wanted to make it clear I did not work with the Developers when i worked on Factions.

People mistake that fact, they think I am special, I am a normal user nothing more.

Jadis

Wanderer
I run a small server that varies between 5 - 20 people a day. Last month I used up 40 GB of data transfer, about equal on the upload and download. I've noticed the bandwidth used increases when players are in large groups (like 20 players at a champion spawn) in small areas.

Cyndrz

Wanderer
NO Phyantom none of that was directed at you personally, I personally thought the info you gave was very helpful.

eidolon

Sorceror
Phantom said:
I just wanted to make it clear I did not work with the Developers when i worked on Factions.

People mistake that fact, they think I am special, I am a normal user nothing more.

You've gotta give yourself more credit than that. I doubt there are very many amongst the normal users who have the knowledge and dedication to do what you have.

bzk90

Lord
if i had to guess, he wants to stay as a normal user so people will stop thinking hes above the rules eidolon

just a guess though

Zippy

Razor Creator
Everyone should consider whether being such assholes to this poor newbie was such a great thing. Especially you phantom, you're supposed to be nice.

Please, don't be assholes.

In my experience the average user uses less than 2kb/s down and 250b/s up. Of course, this deoends if the users are going to be all together in one group doing a dungeon crawl or something... or just macroing in their houses.

My recommendation to you is to give it a try and monitor it closely.

Zippy

Razor Creator
P.S.: A good way to test this out is log into a shard with Razor and run around and do things while watching the "Help & Status" tab. This tab displays bandwidth usage information, and you can easily use it to see how much bandwidth you are using :-P

Phantom

Knight
Zippy I tried being nice, but when somebody says they are not going to take your advice because they think its useless its hard not to say something.

Infact I thought I was nice till that point, and I will agree my response was a little on the rude side, I am sorry for that Darkzuel

But I never flamed you, I hope thats not what you thought.

Darkzuel

Wanderer
Phantom I'm noting going to reply to your post, because I did feel like I was flamed a bit by some of the people here, well not fully flamed, but enough to feel that this topic was getting Off the help subject.

Zippy, thanks for the tip there. I'll have to get my friends togeather and do some more testing this summer. :)

Well Thanks again for those who helped me, take care!

Phantom

Knight
Darkzuel said:
Phantom I'm noting going to reply to your post, because I did feel like I was flamed a bit by some of the people here, well not fully flamed, but enough to feel that this topic was getting Off the help subject.

Zippy, thanks for the tip there. I'll have to get my friends togeather and do some more testing this summer. :)

Well Thanks again for those who helped me, take care!

Do you feel I flamed you?

If you do I am sorry, I really didn't mean to do that.

Darkzuel

Wanderer
Well this hole tread just got off on the wrong foot, I didn't take your opion when you gave it, and others began to think it was rude that I wouldn't fully agree, and it may of been rude for me saying I should of asked a more experinced person. I can't say I was 100% the good guy here. I just think we all kinda went a bit off and should just forget about this and move on. :) I'm sorry if I caused trouble or anything, sometimes I just don't take anyones word for things if they seem a bit off in my opion, I should took what you said and tested it right off the bat. I did test a bit however after, but I blew your answer off to quick. Sorry about that, I wont be posting on here anymore however, not for any reasons of this topic. Just some things came up that I gota do before I think about a UO Server.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for this tread causing such a mess. Take care everyone! :)