RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skills

ArconX

Wanderer
Skills

Is it possible to move the skill's out of the server.exe and into a Initializer.cs file, like that was done with the spell's? Becouse unless i overlooked something, i noticed that the only skill related files are in the SKILLS/ directory...

Becouse now it limits the skill's added to the server, aka the official OSI skill's limit. Also can you add a option that when you run the Krioss client, you can go past the osi limitation of skill's.

Something like > 64 = extended skill's (normaly they wont show up on a OSI client, if i'm right?).

This will also increase customizability of the RunUo server...

SickLab

Wanderer
Just create your own script skill file, and it will work.

I just scripted Begging.

I might not understand what you means though

ArconX

Wanderer
SickLab said:
Just create your own script skill file, and it will work.

I just scripted Begging.

I might not understand what you means though

I think you misunderstand...
Lets say i add the skill "Test" ...
Tht skill does not exist on normal OSI shards & sinds all the normal skill's are hardcoded in the server exe, you can't add that skill. When you look at the Spell's, there is a initializer.cs, that adds all the spell's to the server. So if there is a initializer.cs, you can add more skill's to the game that are not standart (in theorie); and move beyond the standart 64 skill's (ofcourse you will need to be running the Krioss client, becouse the OSI client checks on the nr of skill's).

A

Allmight

Um

Cant you create your own Initializer.cs script that does this. Just because the devs hav'nt does'nt mean you can't do it. I hav'nt tried myself, but to me it sounds possible.

ArconX

Wanderer
Re: Um

Allmight said:
Cant you create your own Initializer.cs script that does this. Just because the devs hav'nt does'nt mean you can't do it. I hav'nt tried myself, but to me it sounds possible.

Doesent seem to work... :(

K

Krazy_zack

ofcourse you will need to be running the Krioss client

The problem is that the skills are hard coded into the server (maby not with RunUO I haven't looked yet...) AND the client...

But you answered your own question with the above quote....

ArconX

Wanderer
Krazy_zack said:
ofcourse you will need to be running the Krioss client

The problem is that the skills are hard coded into the server (maby not with RunUO I haven't looked yet...) AND the client...

But you answered your own question with the above quote....

True and for that reason i asked if skill's can be seperated from the server...

I know they are hardcoded in the server, if they are removed from the main server exe and moved to a initializer.cs file, you can have as many skill as you want on a server (using the krioss client ofcourse)...

I hope one of the developers will comment on this one ...

But if we dont ask now, we will end up in a few month's with maybe "we need to rewrite the entire system, so no, we cant do it", so its better to ask for satch a core function now, before they add all the functions & maybe make it impossible to seperate them from the core (or extende them) ...

H

Hotdog

It would be nice to add and remove skills. I have always wanted to script a more D&D style skills system.

K

Krazy_zack

you can add/remove skills now with the current emu's out there... (with some minor adjustments)

I like this idea of comming away from hard coded stuff so that you could TOTALLY revamp the skills if you want....

...or remove them compleatly if you wanted.

ArconX

Wanderer
Well, i talked to Ryan about it, and they dident had any plance for it until i told him ... they will look into it in the future ...
Normaly it wont be a big problem, based on what he told me, most of the core is written very module like, so they can stripe functions out of it very fast & add them to the scripts ...

I'm pressing this also becouse i always fled there where to little options ...

I always hated the 700 points cap, totaly nerves your character for no real good reason... And i dident like the fact that magic was one skill ...

Personaly, i think magic needs to be like this:
Skills:
  • Air Magic
    Earth Magic
    Fire Magic
    Ice Magic
    Water Magic
    Plain Magic[/list:u]

The elemental magic hold the big bad boys ... fireball, fire elemetal (and some more new things). While the Plain magi holds the creat food, cure bla bla bla, gate travel etc ... Gate travel needs to be a spell, where you need a skill level in the 90's to cast in my eye's, same with recall. Those are spell's that are way to EASY avalable. Those are things of a powerfull wizard needs ... And the Elemental Magic holds the offence type of magic.

Ofcourse you need 5 extra resist magic:
    Resist Ice magic
    Resist Fire magic
    Resist Air magic
    Resist Water magic
    Resist Earth magic

Weapons als need a split down:
    Mace needs to become:
    Mace Skill & Axe Skill
    In my eye's is comabat with a mace & a axe not the same...
    Pollweapons also need to be something seperated ...

It took me only 5 min to write down already another 12 new skill's
    So the spell's need a extra tag identifying what groep they are from.
    And there will be needed 6 spell books (or the system need to be rewritten to hold all the spell's in 1 book) ... 6 books looks more clean, while 1 is more handy ...

Ofcourse, i use the no 700 limit cap & 1 character / accound idear, maybe 2 .. Shure somebody can become a demi god, but lets face it, OSI created the limitations to prevent demi gods, what do people do, place all there war stats in 1 character, and the rest of the junk in others ... The main character is still has powefull as before, just a bit more limited becouse he needs to go with magic or normal weapons combat ...

mja, going way offtopic here :)

A

AlejandroX

Only problem I see with that is that the poor mages have to work like 7 times as hard, in addition to having to buy regs.

ArconX

Wanderer
AlejandroX said:
Only problem I see with that is that the poor mages have to work like 7 times as hard, in addition to having to buy regs.

Nobody ever said that they need all the skill's ...

You are thinking 2 or 4 spell's for Air magic, 2 or 4 spell's for Water magic ... i'm thinking a whole range of Air magic spell's (20 or so)... same with water, ice, fire ... most of them will overlap, but the beathy of it is:

Now a fighter raised 1 skill and he's safe for 50% less damage against a caster ... but with 5 differend groeps, he needs to start looking who he attacks/who is attacking him...

i'm off to bed :)

S

soundwav

casters and skill

i like the idea of more skills and spiting casting up but why not do it like this

healers have healing magic and normal every day magic and maybe flame strike (going for a D&d still cleric type here)
wizards have everything but healing magic
and sorrcers have the same as mages but it uses mana and stamina to cast and not regs

this would bring in diferent role playing aspects to casters. just a thought

Spooky

Wanderer
Skills

Yes they can be added in most emu's but you have to change the client so they show up and that is a pain that most shard admins dont want so they dont do it.

Krrios may make changes to his own client that allows this thou if you ask nice and he finds time.

Pineman

Wanderer
The point?

Im just wondering how far everything will go.. hardcoded or not. like with POL it took awhile for the server to start up because (it seemed to me) that not much was hardcoded, and it took forever to start up. mabye we can get the best of both worlds... using something that tells RunUO to use a custom script.. or something hardcoded. i have no idea what it'll do performance wise.. but to my understanding hardcoded is better than non-hardcoded stuff. (correct me if im wrong ;) )

ervin

Wanderer
I thought the beauty of uo was that it was simple and u didnt need to master 1000 skills to get out there... once u start adding 100 others skill u might aswell be playing DAoC or somin...... of course if ur into that thing u can do it anyway :p
skills like Swimming or Ninjitsu (with like ninja stars and poison darts u can use + special ninja weapons, another ranged combat :p) could be quite moist :p