RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, being that RunUO 2.0 is still in release candidate...

Artrasian

Wanderer
So, being that RunUO 2.0 is still in release candidate...

Would it be better to start my new shard, and it's many custom scripts, with the 1.0 release? Or am I ultimately better off using the new material and continuously updating the way scripts are written as necessary?

snicker7

Sorceror
I highly recommend you don't do that. 1.0 is no longer supported heavily. Grab the revisions from SVN and use that. We've been using 2.0 for over a year now, and are fairly consistent with the latest SVN revisions and we rarely have problems. Production shard.

Artrasian

Wanderer
I was reading through a lot to see that it does look production-stable, I did still have some reservations about constantly updating. Looks like in the long run, I'll be better off that route then having to do a complete overhaul when 2.0 is officially released.

Thanks for the input.

stormwolff

Knight
Artrasian;735908 said:
I was reading through a lot to see that it does look production-stable, I did still have some reservations about constantly updating. Looks like in the long run, I'll be better off that route then having to do a complete overhaul when 2.0 is officially released.

Thanks for the input.

There is a change log with each update to the SVN so you can at least keep track of which files have changed. You can then merge any changes into your files.

Artrasian

Wanderer
excuse me miss said:
Constantly updating is something that a shard owner would be expected to do for a production shard. Even when RC2 or 2.0 final comes out, the dev team will be hacking away at the SVN to get ready for RC3 or 3.0.

True enough.

Now I just gotta learn to properly use the SVN...

::searches::

Rabban

Sorceror
One additional point that I don't think was made yet is that you're starting a new shard. I think it's common to spend a while getting everything set up or tweaked the way you think it should be. In addition, it'll take a bit to get your player base up. So with only a few players, you can bank that they won't be too upset if it crashes every so often (which shouldn't happen even with the RunUO 2.0 RC1 or most of the svn updates).

Perhaps by the time, everything is "done" and players are trickling into your shard, a new RunUO release will happen.

Artrasian

Wanderer
Rabban;736058 said:
One additional point that I don't think was made yet is that you're starting a new shard. I think it's common to spend a while getting everything set up or tweaked the way you think it should be. In addition, it'll take a bit to get your player base up. So with only a few players, you can bank that they won't be too upset if it crashes every so often (which shouldn't happen even with the RunUO 2.0 RC1 or most of the svn updates).

Perhaps by the time, everything is "done" and players are trickling into your shard, a new RunUO release will happen.

This is true...it's just that I have a lot of things planned out, as far as modding goes (I've done this before...although a LOT has changed since then...) and I wanted to get some feedback as to my options before I got started.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.