RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spawning in custom maps

Matt Coatney

Wanderer
From what I gather there is no system/scripts to spawn custom maps? I read about Nerun's distro, xmlspawner and premium spawner but am wary of trying any of them only to find they don't work with custom maps.

Am I destined to create all my spawns by hand? lol!

Thanks so much in advance!

Hammerhand

Knight
With the spawner systems, you'd more than likely have to change any spawn co-ordinates in the scripts to use on a custom map.

Xavier

Account Terminated
With the spawner systems, you'd more than likely have to change any spawn co-ordinates in the scripts to use on a custom map.

.. or use the Spawner item. Add it where you want it, set a range, number to spawn, and list of mobiles.

you might have to edit it just a bit, if you don't use the map names as they are in runuo scripts.

fwiffo

Sorceror
xmlspawner or any other spawning system isn't 100% safe, a critter or mob can spawn in private houses, since the check is done in the region for "bool Region.AllowSpawn()". The only way you can allow it is place any region not allowed to receive spawn as not allowing spawn at all.

Also, consider that even the use of basehouse.InInside is bugged, since the grass in the castle or any custom multi without concrete terrain in it, can receive spawn with this check.

If you want to use the isInside of basehouse, as I did, you have to change the logic of the multi system to accept Rectangle3D with z coords. (the tower has two balcony that exceed lateral, region covers even the grass, where there shouldn't be any.

Xavier

Account Terminated
<snip>

Never mind. I do see what yours talking about. Public houses can get mobiles spawned in them, but it would have to be right at the floor elevation, the house would have to be public, and a few moons and stars probably would need to be aligned, too.

It hasnt caused us any problems I am aware of.

fwiffo

Sorceror
I've just forewarned the questioner, that using spawners (maybe some with a 400 tiles of radius?) to spawn a LARGE area, is not a good idea without proper modifications. Animals could spawn inside houses. It just happens if you play with custom multis, rare? maybe. Possible? of course.

And if there is a possibility, it will happen.

Xavier

Account Terminated
Yeah. An asteroid could come and kill us all, too ... oh wait a minute :D

Seriously tho, that very same spawner is pretty much all we use on Demise for some years now, with no known issues ingame related to houses and spawn (no, the camp spawns that used to end up inside peoples houses had nothing to do with this). The only real problem with then is despawning, or a lack thereof.

Ill add a decisive check for house regions, but like I said, it has just not been an issue.