RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spawning On Water

X-SirSly-X

Sorceror
Spawning On Water

I think it would be beneficial to be able to spawn mobiles on water more effectively. Currently when a spawner is placed in a ocean/large body of water irregardless of the spawn range all the monsters spawn at the location of the spawner, and then begin to swim out-wards. While on land when a spawner is placed with a large spawn range the monsters spawn randomly within the spawn perimeters.

-Sly

psz

Administrator
If a creature can walk on water (Water ele, dolphin, etc), it will spawn on water normally. If it does not, it will spawn on land or at the point of the spawner.

X-SirSly-X

Sorceror
I understand that, but what happens when you place a spawner on water all the mobiles spawn ontop of the spawner, irregardless of the spawn range.

While if a spawner is placed on land the mobiles spawn based on the spawn range.

psz

Administrator
Not in my experience. Demise has a number of On-Water spawns. This does not happen.

Lailonn

Wanderer
I have the same problem. Every spawned water npc (dolphin,sea serpent etc) is in 1-4 range from spawner. So this is normal "bug" ?

Manix

Wanderer
So then change the ranges yourself in the game using [prop on it. Instead of asking other people to change their scripts to fit your needs.

Gandy897

Wanderer
Actually I too have noticed this ""bug"" or whatever you call it. I went out and made some custom water based creatures as well and they along with all the other water based creatures just seem to mill about the spawners. It is this that has prevented me from further exploring the fun that could be had with ocean dwelling creatures.

X-SirSly-X

Sorceror
Manix said:
So then change the ranges yourself in the game using [prop on it. Instead of asking other people to change their scripts to fit your needs.

Wow I feel like a broken record here...

X-SirSly-X said:
... Currently when a spawner is placed in a ocean/large body of water irregardless of the spawn range all the monsters spawn at the location of the spawner, and then begin to swim out-wards...

I've confirmed this "bug" out on my main game server, and also on a fresh install.

Lailonn

Wanderer
"So then change the ranges yourself in the game using [prop on it. Instead of asking other people to change their scripts to fit your needs."

so then read first this topic then replay...you can set range 100 or 20 but you will get the same "bug"

Viago

Knight
more then likly the spawner checks for impassibles. and tries to find a passable. probably edit so that water walking monstes basikly overide the water impasible check?

psz

Administrator
I still can't confirm this, on Demise OR on the shard I ran for two years (backed up... Yes, I still have it :-P)*.

Oh well.

*You know who you are :-P

X-SirSly-X

Sorceror
Well just for shits and giggles could you try this on a fresh install of RunUO:

Go out in the middle of ocean somewhere and copy and paste this:

Code:
[Add Spawner 13 5 10 0 20 Dolphin

From my findings on two different servers (my main server & a totally clean install) this is what happens all 13 Dolphin's spawn right ontop of spawner and then swim outwards based on the 20 range radious.

Maybe Demise and the other server you tested this out on have been mod'ed, which is why I'm asking you to try this on a fresh install. Two other people have confirmed this "bug" also besides myself.

Thraxus

Sorceror
Gonna have to side with psz on this one. Just tried it on my shard, and the dolphins spawned all over the place, exactly as I expected them to. Since I've been placing spawners in the ocean for years since I first starting using RunUO, I can pretty much guarantee that its always worked fine.

Jack_Dulan

Sorceror
I have tried it on both a fresh and one that has been running for a while.
On both they spawned on the spawner and moved out from there.

X-SirSly-X

Sorceror
Thraxus said:
Gonna have to side with psz on this one. Just tried it on my shard, and the dolphins spawned all over the place, exactly as I expected them to. Since I've been placing spawners in the ocean for years since I first starting using RunUO, I can pretty much guarantee that its always worked fine.

what version server are you running?

Thraxus

Sorceror
Actually, I guess I'm going to have to retract my previous statement. Just tried a clean install of 1.0.0 and it does seem like the unmodified distribution spawner behaves just as you described.

See.. I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.. :eek:

You could always try replacing..
Code:
Map.CanSpawnMobile( new Point2D( x, y ), this.Z )
with..
Code:
Map.CanFit( x, y , this.Z, 16, false, true, false )
Using Map.CanFit instead of Map.CanSpawnMobile will bypass the Region.AllowSpawn check, so bear that in mind if you have any regions that restrict spawning in that manner.

Jack_Dulan

Sorceror
That is a good quick fix for it, but the only problem is that it will spawn on mountains and other places that it shouldn't with it. :)

X-SirSly-X

Sorceror
Jack_Dulan & Thraxus, thanks for also confirming this, I knew i wasn't going crazy about this spawning issue!

I'll check out that fix later tonight after work.

eidolon

Sorceror
Tried it just now with both Megaspawner and the built in spawner, both spawn dolphins on water as a clump and then they swim away. I'm running the latest build of RunUO and Megaspawner available.