RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Special features, alternative viewpoint

chad

Wanderer
Special features, alternative viewpoint

Personally I want as much ability to provide special features as the devs are willing to spend time to program. The fact of the matter is if somebody doesn't like strange colors they can simply not allow them on their shard. If somebody wants an osi clone they can make one. I want it to even be more powerful than it is now. I want to be able to have races and the difference NOT just be a tag above the name, I want to be able to have elves, giants, dwarves and such which obviously look and have different characteristics than humans. I'd like to see MORE flexibility in what a uo server can do, not less. I do want gem armor and weapons, I don't care if OSI has them or not. If I want to play exactly like on osi I can make my shard exactly like an osi shard. I want to make my own unique monsters and islands. I want to be able to build brand new types of armor (not just a different color, but really looks different, like long spikes all over it), and weapons. I'd like to be able to build a MOUND (a hobbit house say) and when you enter the door you go underground. I want a "flame sword" that has a heat aura eminating off of it and trails fireblazes when it is swung. I'm in perfect agreement the emu should have the ability to create a perfect osi clone but I didn't leave osi because $10 is too much to pay, I left because I got bored.

A

Allmight

Err

Then script all that. Most of it you can script with the scripting engine that comes with RunUO.

DogCity

Wanderer
Hmm, when we say 'OSI clone' It doesn't realy mean that all shards have to be just like osi shards. It means that RunUO will be technicaly similar, more power to the host etc.

Your point is a valid one though, in that some servers make it much easier for you to script new things, races for example - some may even come with different races scripted by default. There is hardly a limit to what can be scripted in RunUO its just not there from the start so requires a little more work.

As for all the arty stuff like Hobit holes, It just happens I'm working on a shard with quite a few of your examples implimented, and its likely we wil use RunUO.

rlitt3

Wanderer
If you are looking to edit the graphics that is done with the *.mul files in the Ultima Online folder; this has nothing to do with RunUO. The only thing you would use RunUO for is to make scripts for the custom items/characters you create. There are many programs out there where you can edit/add new items, gumps, animations, buildings, and the whole ultima online map. The only problem with adding new graphics into the game is that can take an EXTREMELY long time especially animations. There are hundreds of sites out there that have programs and tutorials so I wont be able to list the all here. Do a search on some of the *.mul files to find some of the sites that deal with editing these. Here is a list of some of the *.mul files people most commonly edit :

anim.mul
anim.idx
art.mul
artidx.mul
map0.mul
multi.mul
multi.idx
statics0.mul
staidx0.mul
verdata.mul

Another thing you can do if you don't want to add/edit new items yourself, see if you can find some websites for people's shards. If you want you can "borrow" their mul files. To view what the mul files contain, use the program InsideUO. Let me know if you have further questions

Zippy

Razor Creator
First off, don't start flaming people, thats a quick way to get banned....

My point of view (as a RunUO dev:)
Point #1:
RunUO's default distro is designed to be as close to OSI as possible. There's a very good point to this. Do any of you remember the first time you downloaded an emulator? I remember the first time I downloaded UOX. I would have never picked it up again if I logged in and it asked me if i wanted to be a wood elf or a dwarf. I would have thought "Did i downlaod the right thing? I thought this was UO."

When you first download and log into your runUO shard, I don't want you to know the difference from OSI except that the world is empty. Play with that for a few weeks. Then you'll think... I wonder if I could make elves... and purple ditch digging llamas.... And, by god, you sure can!

Bottom line: Don't scare the newbies!

Point #2:
OSI made a great game, no one can deny that. If you deny it, then you should ask yourself why you are reading this... you're hooked man, face it. As much as everyone wants to customize their shard, there are some things you are never going to change... maybe for you its the Craft system... and maybe for him its monster loot... It doesn't matter... The common ground is where everyone ame from, OSI UO. So with RunUO defaulting to that, you can only change what you need. Rather than having to go through and rescript all the spell damages so they are accurate when really all you wanted to do was blacksmithy or whatever.

Bottom line: Whats the common ground? Everyone wants something different, everyone wants something the same... all these thigns overlap into OSI clone. OSI is a good base to work from. You migh want races, but do you really want to tweak all the combat statistics (just an example).

God, was I typing forever or what. I don't even want to proof read it, it'll give me a headache.

Zippy

Razor Creator

By the way i'd like to add that runuo trying to be an OSI clone doesn't have to be 100%.... There are some things we can/will/want to add that are not on OSI, or are different from OSI.

I want to see original ideas and neat stuff in the runUO base, the only condition to this is they are inspecific enough that they can be easily changed to fit someone's needs, and they don't have glaring problems with them that obviously go against trying to be like OSI.... Example: Purple ditch digging llamas: good.... Having RunUO spawn purple ditch digging guards by default: bad.

Pineman

Wanderer
Personaly i didnt know OSI existed or what it was till i was playing the game for 5 months or so... i had no idea.. and i liked the shard i was on.... and i still dont know what OSI stands for :D

Alkiser

Administrator
Origin Systems International

Well put Zippy

*is the self proclamied "as close to OSI as we can get it guy"*