RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid hardware question

burgle

Wanderer
Stupid hardware question

Just a quick question, may be stupid but i am curious. I am looking to run a dedicated server, just wondering what i would need for a system. ANy response would help as so i know what the bare minimums are and what a decent but not over the top system would be. THx

Drakrum

Wanderer

burgle said:
Just a quick question, may be stupid but i am curious. I am looking to run a dedicated server, just wondering what i would need for a system. ANy response would help as so i know what the bare minimums are and what a decent but not over the top system would be. THx

Whatever you can afford...

Quantos

Lord
Also, if it's a dedicated RunUO server you wont need a really expensive video card. You would do better to go up to a higher quality motherboard and RAM than spend alot of money on a high end video card.

psz

Administrator
Quantos said:
Also, if it's a dedicated RunUO server you wont need a really expensive video card. You would do better to go up to a higher quality motherboard and RAM than spend alot of money on a high end video card.

... And you probably don't need anything more than a bare-minimum, on board sound card...

If that...

Quantos

Lord
The requirements that I would put on it are the best of the following I could afford.
CPU, motherboard, RAM, SATA HDD (I would go with the best SATA controller I get my hands on, and you don't need the biggest HDD there is either. Look at the fastest and smallest, that will save a few dollars.), and a good network card (stay away from cheap ass $30.00 and lower network cards, do yourself a favor and spend $100.00 on one), and a good decent set of cooling fans so that you don't get any surprises when your ONLY fan dies. Then a copy of MS XP, home or pro, doesn't matter, and a decent antivirus and firewall.

Do not worry about the sound card, video card, how sexy the case is, what speakers come with it, cordless mouse and keyboard, huge monitor (if you have an extra, cool, otherwise you can still pick up used 15" dirt cheap, that's more money for the items that count.)

Thanks PSZ, you inspired me :)

You can use a cheap-ass video card, but don't use the onboard stuff; that just chews up memory cycles.

Also, get a hard drive with the biggest buffer you can find, i.e., 8MB. The performance boost over the 2MB drives is 20-65%.

Macil

Sorceror
Not really sure what would be good to use as far as the standards go, though I can say I don't recommend what my friend tried it with heh. He has a 600 MHz AMD chip and like 128 MB of some junk RAM and probably a motherboard that is just as bad as that. His average world saves were 50 seconds long, heh. My server is on an Athlon XP 2100 chip and 800+ MB of RAM and get 1.4 - 1.6 second world saves and no lag or anything. I would say 1 GHz and 256 MB of RAM and up would be a comfortable place to set your shard up on. Just speaking from past experience. Hope that helps some.

zardoz

Sorceror
I bought one of these specifically for running as a RunUO server.
http://www.chyangfun.com/Product/CF-7989P4.htm
With a 2.8GHz P4 and a gig of memory, it works very well indeed. No monitor, mouse, keyboard or even floppy required. All it has is power and a network cable for day to day running. All system management is performed using VNC.

It's fast, quiet, small and cool.

Just my 2 cents worth.

rage88

Wanderer
here's my server checklist:

1. a processor that supports the fastest memory, as memory bandwitdh plays a HUGE role.
A good example of these while keeping the price down is either a P4 2.4c or an Athlon 3000+ (400MHz FSB version). Both can be had for around $160 and will support DDR400, the fastest sanctioned memory around (there's faster memory, but right now its use is purely for overclocking)​

2. a motherboard with the latest chipset that supports the processor. If its an intel go with like an 865 chipset if its AMD go for an nforce2 ultra.
don't bother going nuts on a motherboard though, all you need is a decent chipset to take advantage of the cpu. here's a list of what you don't need: sound, networking, tons of usb or firewire ports, onboard raid, agp slot, and anything that glows under a uv light or blinks. note that onboard video is not on the list of what you don't need- onboard video is awsome for a server because it's shitty costs almost nothing and is still more than you need. you don't need sound, period. most motherboards are gonna have ethernet built in but its better to get a good one seperate and the same idea with raid, a different card is better, if you need raid. a mainboard with the above listed features can be had for less than $100.​
'

3. Good memory, and at least a gigs worth of it. Memory that can support timmings of 2.5-3-3-6 or better is good memory in my book, and i'm of course talking DDR400. Expect to pay at least $100 per 512MB.

4. A fast hard drive. I'm a big fan of the Western Digital Raptor, the first one. It's SATA, 10k RPM, 8MB Cache, 36.7GB is more than enough for a server, and it costs about $120. Invest in some sort of backup - raid, burn CD's, i don't care, backup your data because hard drives can fail at any moment without a reason.

The rest is pretty straightforward. Case with good airflow, namebrand PSU that will supply stable voltage, etc. on a side note i have to say samsung CD drives are the best out there, hands down.

just cause i'm curious, here's a basic breakdown of what the whole thing will cost with the parts i mentioned.

cpu $160
memory $200
mainboard $100
psu $50
case $50
hd $120
cd-rw & cd-rom $50
floppy $10
---------------------
$740 - not too bad, and that'll be an excellent server. and yea i assume you have a copy of xp pro laying around heh.

lastly my disclaimer
if you've never built a computer before, don't. at least don't do it with your server, practice with crappy parts. if you have a friend that says he can do it, definately don't unless he's a technician of some sort. i work at a tech shop part time and you wouldn't believe the screw ups i've seen, we get in at least 2 - 4 people a day that have messed up machines cause they were gung-ho about building their own machine, and this is a small shop i'm talking. the friend thing is a HUGE cliche. its pretty simple but you should be very savy with computers or the little things are gonna degrade what could be a good machine, things such as being able to tweak around your bios without killing things, how to update drivers when the installer doesn't work right, knowing the cause of small glitches, etc.

rage88

Wanderer
thought i'd mention something else while i'm at it. xp pro has built in remote access. once you set up your server, you don't need a keyboard, mouse, or monitor attached to it. just set it up and you can log into it from anywhere and do... anything.

Quantos

Lord
rage88 said:
thought i'd mention something else while i'm at it. xp pro has built in remote access. once you set up your server, you don't need a keyboard, mouse, or monitor attached to it. just set it up and you can log into it from anywhere and do... anything.

Just make sure you set that part up correctly, or you could get into trouble. There is however a lot of readily available information to assist you in that task.

Sorry Rage, had to add that.

Quantos

Lord
The trouble with that disclaimer, nobody really beleives that they are an idiot(and rightly so, most people with the IQ class of an idiot can't manage a keyboard at all). That's why it's always a good idea to warn people about consequences :)

KillerBeeZ

Knight
I figured this thread will help you get an idea of a few systems and how effective they are.

http://www.runuo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30888

The server you choose will be directly related to the size of the world, stuff you put in it, and how many people you want on it, times the amount of lag you will accept.

If you plan to spawn all facets (tram, Fel, mal, and Ish) you will need a larger system to server it, even larger if you want lots of people to play at one time.

Bandwidth is not too much of an issue but its still nice to have at least a Cable connection as Dial up shards generally can't be large.

I currently have Tram fully spawned, and Fel almost done. There are a total of 12k mobiles and almost 100k items in the world. but not many people yet (bout 25 accounts) as I have auto account disabled. People are generally lazy so if they have to work to get on, you tend to get the players who are more suited to RP shards.

I have a PIII 733 with 512MB 133 sdram and (at the moment a Quantum Fireball 12GB HD. I have another faster hard drive I plan to put in soon.

The server runs win2k pro OS and RunUO b36 server, Savant web server, and ZA pro firewall.

The server saves are about 5 to 6 seconds every 30 minutes.

However I also have a test server that is much faster. Its a PIV 2.6 GHz with 512MB 266 DDR running WinXP home.

The saves for it (same world stats) is about 2 to 3 seconds.

I can't use the faster server for the live shard as its a laptop and unfortunatly to my dismay not a very cool one. I have to use a window fan to cool it if I plan to run the server for longer than 3 to 6 hours (depending on room temp)

Now, I am hoping to scrounge enough to get a new server.

I hope to get: Dual P4 Xeon Processors 2.4GHz (with HT, not that HT is really important with RunUO yet), with 1GB 400MHz DDR and a 2 Western Digital 36GB 10k rpm HD's with 8MB buffer and 5.2 ms seek time on a SATA 150 RAID Controller (and maybe a liquid cpu cooler and/or lots of fans) running WinXP pro

I imagine the save times will be damn fast and there will not be any lag whatsoever, even with all facets spawned and about 200+ players on. Maybe you will see a tiny bit of lag if all 200 + players are all hanging out at the bank, but I doubt it.... thats just a fast ass system... but not cheep. :(

Quantos

Lord
rage88 said:
and it all comes down to the fact that this world is hilarious

Yes, but with giving advice comes the responsibility of culpability. Giving a user a warning about pitfalls prevents them from having any argument against you. Plus it saves them some heartache and grief.

rage88

Wanderer
oh my, your dream system is overkill and a half. 1 i doubt runuo will ever be fully threaded 2 xeons are so not cost effective its not even funny.

kudos on the HD config, striping i assume?

raid 5 is amazing, add a 3rd drive to that dream and look into it.

i'm gonna stop watching this thread now... really.