RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sugustion fro when RC2 comes out

sugustion for when RC2 comes out

just a simple one:

could you release it in 2 forms:

1) full version of it with all scripts included

2) the execuables and only the changed script files

this way - those of use that have been working on it and making changes/updates/mods will only have to go through a limited number of files instead of all of the scripts to see which ones have changed

Thanks

Phantom

Knight
Lord_Greywolf said:
just a simple one:

could you release it in 2 forms:

1) full version of it with all scripts included

2) the execuables and only the changed script files

this way - those of use that have been working on it and making changes/updates/mods will only have to go through a limited number of files instead of all of the scripts to see which ones have changed

Thanks

Called WinMerge, don't make the developers do your job for you.

Its exactly the same amount of work, so there should be NO reason why you shouldn't use this method.

win merge on 6k+ files is not very fun

also many files get moved into custom directories that were distro files, so this way you can find the ones you modded easier
this way has much shorter list to compare for

and also a list like this could help them out
because it shortens down the list of files they know have been modded by themselves for quick checking to see if the mod they did was what borke/fixed something or if they needed to look elsewhere

RavonTUS

Sorceror
Greetings,

Even a copy of the log, like the one from SVN, would be helpful.

-Ravon

Attachments

• Log.jpg
    Log.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 83

Phantom

Knight
Lord_Greywolf said:
win merge on 6k+ files is not very fun

also many files get moved into custom directories that were distro files, so this way you can find the ones you modded easier
this way has much shorter list to compare for

and also a list like this could help them out
because it shortens down the list of files they know have been modded by themselves for quick checking to see if the mod they did was what borke/fixed something or if they needed to look elsewhere

If your only going to merge files that changed, you can't really count the files that didn't change in that statement.

Your going to have the exact same number of files to "merge", I don't see the difference, WinMerge tells you what has changed and what as not changed. Plus the fact if you use TortoiseSVN to tell which files have changed, since the release with almost no effeort.

win merge tells me if the 2 files i go to compare are different -- so i would have to load all of the files 1 from each set and compare them - that is 6k compares - where if there was a list - would know which ones to compare

and many people do not have every program at their disposal - like otrtoise svn, winmerge, etc (i do have winmerge)

but RavonTUS's suggestion would be even good enough - something that tells us which ones have changed - something that could be downloaded easly, and not using special programs to get it all out

daat99

Staff member
Lord_Greywolf said:
win merge tells me if the 2 files i go to compare are different -- so i would have to load all of the files 1 from each set and compare them - that is 6k compares - where if there was a list - would know which ones to compare

and many people do not have every program at their disposal - like otrtoise svn, winmerge, etc (i do have winmerge)

but RavonTUS's suggestion would be even good enough - something that tells us which ones have changed - something that could be downloaded easly, and not using special programs to get it all out
Just keep an unmodified RC1 folder and compare it to the RC2 folder, it'll tell you exactly what files were modified and how so you could easily update your modified files.

Phantom

Knight
Lord_Greywolf said:

All you have to do in terms of WinMerge is sort the list and hide the identical files.

I will say this again, this is a job for a shard admin not the RunUO Developers, I also don't see it going to happen because of the amount of work it would mean for any particular developer. Perhaps somebody will "release" it as a package, since the scripts are protected by the GPL anyone can release the scripts in that format.

Phantom:
All you have to do in terms of WinMerge is sort the list and hide the identical files.

I will say this again, this is a job for a shard admin not the RunUO Developers, I also don't see it going to happen because of the amount of work it would mean for any particular developer. Perhaps somebody will "release" it as a package, since the scripts are protected by the GPL anyone can release the scripts in that format.

Not to necro or anything, but i was pretty sure that there was a changelog.txt in the main folder of RunUO anyways.... if i am not mistaken a Changelog would indicate that the developers have in fact already enclosed a list of said changes.... to the starter of this post, your best bet would be to look at this and also take Daat's advice and compare the RC1 and RC2 folders, look for moved files or size changes, these are good indicators of a file change without having to winmerg right off the bat.

wulf monat

Sorceror
that will be teadious work

using win merge as far as i know will still be ahrd to do cause youll have to open each and every file with winmerge then look them over to see what has changed and if youv'e modified any those files itll be even tougher to see what they changed in new release,
i may be wrong there might be more to winmerge than i know of but i dont mess with proggies and all their functions if i dont know what it does, so in short im newb to scripts and winmerge but seems to me it will be teadious work to do either way.

daat99

Staff member
wulf monat said:
using win merge as far as i know will still be ahrd to do cause youll have to open each and every file with winmerge then look them over to see what has changed and if youv'e modified any those files itll be even tougher to see what they changed in new release,
i may be wrong there might be more to winmerge than i know of but i dont mess with proggies and all their functions if i dont know what it does, so in short im newb to scripts and winmerge but seems to me it will be teadious work to do either way.
If you don't want teadious work than you don't want to run a shard...
Nobody said that running or updating a shard is easy but it's definatly impossible (almost) for the RunUO devs to make it easy.
If you modified something than you need to know how to program in c# if you want your life to be easier, if you don't... just look at the shards that get wiped when they update for an example...