RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Support KR

Galdar

Sorceror
well considering your new here, i'm sure most won't flame you to bad on this one.

The issue of KR support was debated an determined many many many many moons ago by the powers that be here. KR support will NEVER be apart of RunUO forums, its staff or volunteers.

I highly suggest you just drop the subject all together in everyway possible.

Acronis

Sorceror
KR is also illegal to emulate, unlike 2D. I forget the whole details but basically if they would emulate KR, RunUO could be shut down by EA. So they chose not to do it.

Also implimenting all the packet differences is just not worth the effort especially if you plan to keep supporting 2D. You'll have a huge mess of if statements, and slow down the packet handler greatly.

Alex21

Sorceror
Acronis;795020 said:
KR is also illegal to emulate, unlike 2D. I forget the whole details but basically if they would emulate KR, RunUO could be shut down by EA. So they chose not to do it.

Also implimenting all the packet differences is just not worth the effort especially if you plan to keep supporting 2D. You'll have a huge mess of if statements, and slow down the packet handler greatly.

I can't see it slowing down the packet handler to much at all really.

Jeff

Lord
Acronis;795020 said:

lol, 99% of your posts are just straight comedy.

Acronis

Sorceror
Alex21;795027 said:
I can't see it slowing down the packet handler to much at all really.

If done properly could be ok, considering EA is doing the same. Though C# is very slow compared to C++/asm so when you start adding if statements and case statements in code blocks that get executed many times per second (such as the packet handler) it can potentially slow things down. Probably not really noticable on a modern enough server though.

Another option is to have a "gateway" app that users who use KR log into, and it would translate the packets to 2D client then connect to the server. I don't think the changes are very big, but enough to cause issues.

You also need to support encryption on your server which is a whole other beast but there is a script out there that has it already coded.

Jeff

Lord
Acronis;795298 said:
If done properly could be ok, considering EA is doing the same. Though C# is very slow compared to C++/asm so when you start adding if statements and case statements in code blocks that get executed many times per second (such as the packet handler) it can potentially slow things down. Probably not really noticable on a modern enough server though.

Another option is to have a "gateway" app that users who use KR log into, and it would translate the packets to 2D client then connect to the server. I don't think the changes are very big, but enough to cause issues.

You also need to support encryption on your server which is a whole other beast but there is a script out there that has it already coded.

It is funny you say it would be slow, yet there are several branches of RunUO that have been used to support KR. None of which are slow, or even seem slow. C# is a tried and true language, IL is a proven system. There are a lot of people like you who have said doing X is slower in C# rather than C++, and many of these things have since been proven to be only slower on machines that shouldn't be running C#. At my last job, I was told by our C/C++ programmer that it was not possible to acquire a raw handle on a hard disk, and read the raw data from the hard disk sectors. I proved him wrong, and even proved to him that the speed was identical to his applications... I've even written an application just like Razor, it launches the UO client and attaches itself just like Razor, the injected DLL is 100% C# and it is just as fast as razor. Please learn to get your facts straight before you come with these ridiculous comments regarding C#, RunUO has proven C# when used correctly can be just as powerful as a lower level language.

PS, C# is only a language and can be compiled to ASM, and if you do not believe this, take a look at COSMOS, it is a 100% C# Managed Operating system that runs at a native level with a kernel written in C#... http://www.gocosmos.org/index.en.aspx

old_school

Wanderer
Ok after reading through the posts I see runuo's point about not supporting it cause legal factor. Did not know supporting KR was a legal issue and to the guy on the first post about not flameing me buddy been here many years. Flame away. But flamming on the net is stupid. Anyway thinks for the insite jeff thats good info about C#. I never thought it was slow ethier lol just easir to work with.

arul

Sorceror
Acronis;795298 said:

You figured that by removing your sunglasses to the strains of a Who song?

Oh wait, we all know that if/else and switch statements in C++ are faster than in C# just because ... IT'S C++, dude, my hello world executes faster than yours!

You engage in cargo cult programming argument. You have no idea what you're talking about, you just keep repeating your shaman mantras.

old_school

Wanderer
Well after I thought about this, I remeber RunUO saying "We will not support ML at this time". I guess the key was at this time. So Im guessing KR may be supported at some point.

Greystar

Wanderer
old_school;800439 said:
Well after I thought about this, I remeber RunUO saying "We will not support ML at this time". I guess the key was at this time. So Im guessing KR may be supported at some point.

No with KR it has been stated by the Dev team that it WILL NOT be supported unless the community itself does it. So that mean no official RunUO support.

ML they said At this time and most of the ML Features don't exist in the official RunUO releases, the only way to get most of the ML features is to use MalGanis' stuff.

brodock

Sorceror
There is some guys already working on UOKR support, one of then are Genova Project...

If someone want's to help with this, should take a look.

I have no idea of another RunUO branch giving code to UOKR support, does anyone knows?