RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"The server has crashed."

KimI

Wanderer
"The server has crashed."

I have a little suggestion for the RunUO development team to the server application.

How about having the ability to choose the server to restart when it crashes with the message "The server has crashed."? Of course, the daemon should be contacting the server maintainer about the crash and debug information through e-mail or similar, so he/she can see that something happened and how it did happen.

I am currently playing on a shard which uses RunUO and we have some great operators who likes to make it crash once in a while and the server maintainer is not always available to get it running again.

If it somehow could get itself up and running again after a crash, then it would be wonderful. I don't know if it's a hard feature to implement, but as the server itself can report a crash to the clients, then it must be possible for it to know when it has to restart.

How would you like that idea?

psz

Administrator
Depending on the crash, RunUO will already restart itself back up on it's own...

lordomega

Wanderer
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Unless the crash is caused by a custom script that crashes it upon startup, then the server should restart on its own automagically.

Phantom

Knight
psz said:
Depending on the crash, RunUO will already restart itself back up on it's own...

That only happens if its a script error.

If its causes an actuall crash, it won't be able to.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
what about windows task scheduler?

if the server computer doesnt run any other programs then this might work...
when the system is idle for say, 20 seconds or so, it can open Server.exe

even better...
If there is a way to make the task manager check to see if server.exe is already running, it will always work. then you just make it keep one instance of server.exe open at all times.

this is not the perfect way to do it I'm sure, but its one way to work around it.

Daegon

Wanderer
As to getting task scheduler to only have one instance, you can't do that directly with task scheduler, however, a tiny program would be easy enough to write that checks if there is an instance of server.exe, if so, close, if not, spawn a new server.exe process. Read MSDN's C# Documentation.