RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Total Newb Starting Shard

Twysted

Wanderer
Total Newb Starting Shard

hello i am a total no0b when it comes to starting up a shard. I downloaded RunUO and installed it on my comp, made the admin login and pass and changed the login cfg to point to my ip and local server, yet when i go to login. The server connects for a second then disconnects, i don't quite understand what the problem is, is it because i am using AoS 3D? or would there be any other problem?

Btw i am running the server on Win XP Home Edition, If that helps any.

Twysted

Wanderer
nvm fixed

but i do have another problem, now that i am logged in how do i add stuff to my shard? do i need axis to do this?

Mum_Chamber

Wanderer
or simply [add

use the [docgen command and you will have a documents folder in your RunUO folder. there, you may find every command.

Phantom

Knight
Axis is for Sphere, it will not work for RunUO

You may as well delete it off your computer because its useless if you plan on using RunUO.

Lord-Steve

Wanderer
I'm new here as well. In fact, i just downloaded it today. so i have a couple of questions:
1) whats the difference between sphere and runuo?
2) I downloaded the runuo file, and it said i need the .net framework(I'm using windows 2000). So i got that and i'm still getting the same error message, can someone troubleshoot for me?
3) I don't know much about moderating a uo shard, is it like being a regular player with super-human powers or what?

Thanks a lot for any answers to these questions. I'm sure i'll be posting more until i learn it well. I know these questions are probably pretty basic to you vet's. but i hope you'll help me out anyway.

Phantom

Knight
Lord-Steve said:
I'm new here as well. In fact, i just downloaded it today. so i have a couple of questions:
2) I downloaded the runuo file, and it said i need the .net framework(I'm using windows 2000). So i got that and i'm still getting the same error message, can someone troubleshoot for me?
3) I don't know much about moderating a uo shard, is it like being a regular player with super-human powers or what?

Thanks a lot for any answers to these questions. I'm sure i'll be posting more until i learn it well. I know these questions are probably pretty basic to you vet's. but i hope you'll help me out anyway.

1) You decided what those changes were. Nobody will tell you what they think the differences are.
2) What error exactly are you still getting :rolleyes:
3) Perhaps running a shard isn't what you should be doing if you don't evne know what it means.

Tylius

Sorceror
RunUO's more customizable than Sphere, and more stable,
Look around in the script submissions for some examples of the sort of things that can be done with it. (That's thanks to using a full programming language for the scripts, as opposed to a smaller script language like the one Sphere used).

The scripting is harder here, than Sphere would be, but if you try something on your own first, and post the part that you're having issues with, (in the script support forum), people are usually more than willing to help out and give advice. However, *don't* ask for people to do things for you, practically everyone doesn't like that (or so that's what I see, and agree).

As for running a server, It's pretty hard to actually get a decent playerbase without putting in a lot of effort making your shard unique (i.e. custom made scripts, as opposed to downloading a bunch and tossing them on your server). By all means though, run your server and try out being an admin, see the nifty things they can do, just don't expect everyone to jump on your server just because you think it's cool ;)

Also, as a note for the future if you start creating scripts, avoid copying scripts that someone else made, making a minor change, and then reposting it. Especially without giving prior credit. I personally couldn't care less about credit, but there's lots of people who'll flame you for that. And most people dislike scripts that are posted that are minor changes to the base scripts (that are included with RunUO). So avoid modifying a leather helmet to be named "God's Helmet", putting all the armor resist on it to 70%, and posting it ;)

But, on the other hand, if you put a lot of work into something, and even though it's simple, it's unique (not renamed, or statboosted), by all means post it! I remember one submission that was a pocket watch, really simple, just click on it and it'd say the time, but it was unique! Plus it was from the previous Ultima's :)

There's my speech! Hope you find RunUO enjoyable!

Edit: Oh, and if you ever get an error from RunUO, a script, or anything, make sure to post it when you ask for help. It's difficult for people to help out without being able to see what the error is. And try not to post messages with the title of: "Help me!" or "Admin person, please read this", be informative about what the post is about ;)

Lord-Steve

Wanderer
Thanks a lot. I'll take what you said into consideration. Also, i'm pretty much only opening this up to my friends for now, i'd prefer other people dont come. lol. Also, one more question. For servers, i don't have a static ip address, could that be a potential problem?

brimnon

Wanderer
If you are in doubt go to like www.no-ip.com And Dl the software it will check your systems IP at the time and make connect your shard to the no-ip link such as Myshard.servegame.com.

Hope that helps.

Twysted

Wanderer
Phantom i think your rude remarks need to quit, your smartass attitude causes alot of grief to newb users. i think if you show some respect to everyone you will recieve it.

IN SHORT:

That post is written by something so confused, it doesn't know whether to scratch its watch or wind its ass. You should offer your posting style to hospital operating theatres as a highly-effective alternative to unconsciousness-inducing medications.
I don't think you are a fool after reading your post, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others? Is that a conclusion or simply the place where you got tired of thinking? Oh well, at least you only charge what your free advice is worth. As Ellen Glasgow once remarked: "He knows so little and knows it so fluently."
You are a bore, and a very dull one at that. Is there anything I need to know about you other than your a grungy social outcast? Maybe you wouldn't read like such a pathetic loser if that pimple on your ass hadn't turned out to be a brain tumor; if your weren't so fat that when you stand on the weighing scale, it reads: "To be continued!", or if you didn't have a face so ugly that Peeping Toms break into your house and close the blinds. Who am I kidding? You would.
In closing, I helpfully suggest that you support your local Search & Rescue Unit, and get lost.

Sep102

Page
Ahh, and you're so very much better than Phantom, attacking him and all. The fact that most of you don't realize is that Phantom gives you answers, he doesn't give you bullshit like most of the people do. You're much better than he is, right, for never thanking him, always lecturing him on his attitude, which is exactly how it should be since most people don't learn anything until someone like Phantom comes along and tells you it in terms that you believe are 'rash', 'mean', 'nasty', many of which are not. Until people learn what the search button and the rules are though, we need people like Phantom more than anything else.

Now, go read the rules and learn what a search button is.

Twysted

Wanderer
Sep i have read the rules and i do use the search, not like it helps all the time, i think you best get your head outta your ass cause i asked a simple question that needed a simple answer not someone tell ing and other ppl that if we don't know the differance between sphere and runuo then we shouldn't be even using it, i frankly don't care if your a smartass or a jerk, but i do like to berespected no matter if am a newb or professional. it is ppl like you and phantom that discourages newbs and iliterates alike from learning anything new.

Phantom

Knight
Twysted said:
Sep i have read the rules and i do use the search, not like it helps all the time, i think you best get your head outta your ass cause i asked a simple question that needed a simple answer not someone tell ing and other ppl that if we don't know the differance between sphere and runuo then we shouldn't be even using it, i frankly don't care if your a smartass or a jerk, but i do like to berespected no matter if am a newb or professional. it is ppl like you and phantom that discourages newbs and iliterates alike from learning anything new.

Reported for being a pointless personal attack, which is against the rules.

Phantom

Knight
Twysted said:
Phantom i think your rude remarks need to quit, your smartass attitude causes alot of grief to newb users. i think if you show some respect to everyone you will recieve it.

IN SHORT:

That post is written by something so confused, it doesn't know whether to scratch its watch or wind its ass. You should offer your posting style to hospital operating theatres as a highly-effective alternative to unconsciousness-inducing medications.
I don't think you are a fool after reading your post, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others? Is that a conclusion or simply the place where you got tired of thinking? Oh well, at least you only charge what your free advice is worth. As Ellen Glasgow once remarked: "He knows so little and knows it so fluently."
You are a bore, and a very dull one at that. Is there anything I need to know about you other than your a grungy social outcast? Maybe you wouldn't read like such a pathetic loser if that pimple on your ass hadn't turned out to be a brain tumor; if your weren't so fat that when you stand on the weighing scale, it reads: "To be continued!", or if you didn't have a face so ugly that Peeping Toms break into your house and close the blinds. Who am I kidding? You would.
In closing, I helpfully suggest that you support your local Search & Rescue Unit, and get lost.

1) My reply was not rude, it was forward because I didn't want to compare RunUO to Sphere.

There is no good reason to compare it, it only brings the type of people that cause problems.

2) You have no reason to tell me anything about my reply, it wasn't towards you, thus your reply was pointless.

I have reported your post as a personal attack on myself. In addition to your personal attack that you made towards Sep102.

Unlike many people in the community, I feel its better to report a thread that might have gone to far and allow the moderators to do their job.

This thread has indeed gone to far with the personal attacks, and that won't be allowed ( see to many of these threads, so I a clear cut case ).

Trust me making personal attacks on myself or Sep102 doesn't help your case in the slighest. You claim I need to stop making rude posts, which I still have not made a rude post to date.

I have been very forward, perhaps, which some people might believe is rude. But the purpose of no posts to date have meant to be rude. The only time this might have been broken is after a very long heated discussion, which I either fixed or the thread was locked soon after.

But I have never made a rude posts, right off the back, and I will always be respectful of people that show me respect.

I am forward with everyone that asks a question. I tell them the truth, and only the truth. Even if the truth isn't what they want to hear. I allow nothing to be left out, because I feel that they need to hear the truth.

There are to many people in the world and in this community ( as its part of the world ) that believe people should not be honest with people.

As a human, I cannot allowed the miniority control how I feel I can help somebody the best. If this means I piss of a few people, then I will accept that fate.

I however, if I cross a line, and I am told that I have crossed a line by a reasonable third-party person, I will tone it down.

I sometimes forget that there are very young people, thats only because I deal with people my own age which are able to accept the truth and follow the directions I gave them.

I hope this thread is locked, not because of this post ( which it might and I know it ) but because of the personal attacks made upon myself and Sep102.

I will ask Sep102 to tone it down, till he has some experience under his belt. One truthful person is enough, I hate to admit it, but I am the bigger one :)

I agree with Phantom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Steve
1) You decided what those changes were. Nobody will tell you what they think the differences are.
2) What error exactly are you still getting
3) Perhaps running a shard isn't what you should be doing if you don't evne know what it means.

1) That's true... It is like asking on a Microsoft's forum why a Mac is better :D
2) Doctor... Something hurts me and I will let you guess what is it...
3) Me, I want to be pumbler... someone can tell me what is a pipe?

Amanda

Wanderer
Hello all i have had a test shard running for about a month now and also have a website but my questions are first how do i get it to go public and also how do i connect my website to my shard? Please someone help!