RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Untapped Potential.

Enroq

Sorceror
First I'd like to say, that no matter its faults, the RunUO community has been a constant in my life since I was around the age of twelve. I'm now 22 and over the years I've learned a great many things from many individuals, both personally, and by proxy via their posts. For this, I am most grateful and most appreciative.

With this said, I feel this community has such potential that is.. well, stagnating. Stagnating, you say? Yes, not in the sense that there is no forward momentum (though it is dwindling), but rather in the sense that with a community of such talent, such dedication, and such enthusiasm, I don't see why we limit ourselves to emulating Origins, EA, or Mythic.

I understand that UO was the beginning, and that there is something to be said for loyalty. However, UO was not just about the game, it was about us. UO is ours, and we are UO.

What am I getting at here? I'm glad you asked, and that I remembered..

What I'm getting at is that every developer here that I've seen doing this for 10+ years should be doing it professionally, and could be doing it professionally. As of this time, I don't see why a client that can be based off the RunUO server can't be done. Accomplishing this feat would legitimize not only our efforts, but income produced.

Now, with that said, here's where the help wanted comes in to play. Currently under development is a RunUO server with a 9-year pedigree, approximately. The server itself, is pretty much complete in regards to C# development. What's needed then?

Well, we need a website (I can make something basic, but I'd like something intuitive and interactive, something in PHP probably). We need the world spawned, decorations and doors added, NPC's spawned, etc. We also need an Administrator who can devote time in-game, and someone to manage social media accounts.

For the Client: Currently we are only a team of two (possibly three, depending on how things go) and most, if not all of our efforts at this point go into C# - what this means is there's still a ton to be done, which includes but is not limited to: texturing, modeling, creating scenes, and animating. These are skills in which my partner and myself are not nearly as strong in as we are in C#. With that said, we're looking for individuals with skills, or who are looking to acquire the skills necessary to produce models and textures. We'll be working with Blender, as it's free.

Please do not think this means we are not looking for C# developers, as there is literally 100's of 1000's of lines of code that will probably be needed, so we're always looking for C# developers.

That's about it, we're going to be building in Unity3D - please reach out if you're interested. Even if you feel ill-equipped to tackle such a project, don't let that stop you. I promise you learning the code, and the applications, is only about 10% of the requirement - the rest of what you'll need is dedication and desire to learn.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Vorspire

Knight
Skype me; VorspireLG :) I can hook you up with potential candidates as well as providing a bounce board for ideas and suggestions, if you like.

I also have some experience in 3D modelling and UVW texture mapping using 3D Studio Max 8+ that might come in handy in the future :)

pooka01

Sorceror
Just a quick question, i guess it would be in 3d?
Cause you can do isometric view style in unity3d.

Enroq

Sorceror
That's a great question in the face of Unity2d and Unity3d, thanks for bringing it up. As it were, we would be doing in 3D. However, I'm currently working on a prototype for something completely different to secure a contract that will hopefully allow for serious (paid) future development. With this being said, I won't have the time or the resources to take lead on the project until at least the end of the year. That in mind, if I can find someone that is as fond of UO as I am willing to take lead without payment, so that dev can begin before the end of the year - then it may be subject to change. However, I don't see that happening. :)