RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UO Eras Packs

LuxoR

Sorceror
kalo;843599 said:
Would be nice to see something like this.

I've been here a long time and I always feel my time is wasted each time I want to setup a shard to the era I want. I usually burn out part way into getting to said era.. When I could be spending a bit of time creating some cool scripts & expansion.

The developers alone are not going to be able to give you "perfect" era packages. They need to make best use of their time to implement changes into a single package that everyone can use. Maintaining code changes to 6+ packages is redundant. There's a reason initial Core.AOS condition was added, to disable significant changes added by that expansion. The conditional code has been expanded into all the expansions and is available for use, and is used to disable SA and ML expansions.

Why not head a project to initiate what you want, that way your time isn't wasted, and are less likely to burn out. Make use of Core.T2A, Core.UOR, etc.. conditions to make modification to code, and submit the changes. Make a guide for new users who want to make use of a specific era, and teach them how to configure CurrentExpansion.cs to match what they want.

kalo

Sorceror
LuxoR;843605 said:
The developers alone are not going to be able to give you "perfect" era packages. They need to make best use of their time to implement changes into a single package that everyone can use. Maintaining code changes to 6+ packages is redundant. There's a reason initial Core.AOS condition was added, to disable significant changes added by that expansion. The conditional code has been expanded into all the expansions and is available for use, and is used to disable SA and ML expansions.

Why not head a project to initiate what you want, that way your time isn't wasted, and are less likely to burn out. Make use of Core.T2A, Core.UOR, etc.. conditions to make modification to code, and submit the changes. Make a guide for new users who want to make use of a specific era, and teach them how to configure CurrentExpansion.cs to match what they want.

All these eras have been covered in full on dozens of RunUO shards over the years and haven't been made publicly available. Why would I consider my effort ready for public consumption or waste my time working on something which I know is sitting on someones harddrive going to waste??

LuxoR

Sorceror
kalo;843608 said:
All these eras have been covered in full on dozens of RunUO shards over the years and haven't been made publicly available. Why would I consider my effort ready for public consumption or waste my time working on something which I know is sitting on someones harddrive going to waste??

I'm assuming you mean Divinity, Hybrid, and Demise. I don't know what the other 9 shards era shards are. These are all projects that were affiliated with certain developers, but not part of the RunUO project. It's similar to how Razor is affiliated with Zippy, or ConnectUO with Jeff. Additionally, those shards are still active, so it's unlikely that the code would just be released.

ntony

Sorceror
kalo;843608 said:

When it is YOUR need to have such a project. Why would it be a waste of YOUR time to do so? But to ask other developer(s) to do it for YOU and release it for YOU. How can it be a waste when you do YOUR OWN work? You ask people to public their code with generous manner. But what about you, what about your attitude?

Why do other/RunUO developers have to work for you? Because you deserve it?

kalo

Sorceror
I am not asking anyone to do anything for me, that's not what I'd ask, and I don't feel intitled at all to tell people what I think they should do. These packs are not something that needs to be done, but are something that has already been done, and done well. Time and time again by hundreds of different people.

What I am asking is, I hope people can see that releasing code into the wild which is otherwise wasted or lost would benefit a lot of us and enrich the community somewhat.

mordredrs

Sorceror
kalo;843760 said:
I am not asking anyone to do anything for me, that's not what I'd ask, and I don't feel intitled at all to tell people what I think they should do. These packs are not something that needs to be done, but are something that has already been done, and done well. Time and time again by hundreds of different people.

What I am asking is, I hope people can see that releasing code into the wild which is otherwise wasted or lost would benefit a lot of us and enrich the community somewhat.

I agree. Actually i'm running a AOS server and it was hard to configure the database...

Jeff

Lord
Did you ever consider that some people put in 1000's of hours into their servers to make them era specific. Then they make the server publict and get a half way decent player-base, but never anything remotely closed to Hybrid/Demise/Divinity (with the exception of a small handful of servers), and you want them to release their code, for others...are you kidding me. If they ever did that, there would instantly be 900 additional servers popping up, per era, all claiming to be the best, and that person that spent 1000's of hours to have a decent server with a decent player-base would end up with a player-base of 5% what he had...instantly.... Sharing is great, but its not always the best way to go, when you are trying to accomplish something like running a decent server.

trinax

Squire
Actually a full T2A pack would bring in many buggy crashing sphere server owners, including me.

Spawns and world is not so important. The combat system and npcs are only. Even npcs aren't so important either :p

Problem is also that the definition of "T2A" is different among people.
When I posted above I didn't know, but in the whole pre-AOS group of eras there are substantial differencies even in the range of a single Publish.

Amazonia

Sorceror
Making a shard is not like starting a backgammon game on internet where you set 5-6 rules in a list of rulests, you want a shard, you spend time working on it like everybody else. I spent 7 months making mine (Pre-UO:R) and it's very far from over, If a package would come out I would be pissed.

Zippy

Razor Creator
I will be releasing the original UOGamers: Rebirth source code (server mods and scripts and probably a real world save from that time) sometime soon. Rebirth was our Pre-T2A/T2A shard circa 2005-2006. I've updated it to work with 7.0 clients and Core 2.1. I have been putting off releasing it because I haven't had time to test to see if there is anything left that will crash newer clients that I need to fix..... I may just release it without doing that testing.

Amazonia

Sorceror
:( ... :) ... :( ... :) Just don't know if it's good or bad now. xD Haha! But would it work for 2.0? That's what I use.

I guess I would just use it for consultation at this point. :/

trinax

Squire
Making a shard is not like starting a backgammon game on internet where you set 5-6 rules in a list of rulests, you want a shard, you spend time working on it like everybody else. I spent 7 months making mine (Pre-UO:R) and it's very far from over, If a package would come out I would be pissed.
Maybe you should have coded you own emulator so that runuo developers will not get offended that you are using their years of effort.

People should release things so that new things are built onto the released thing and the result will be more and more improved, it should work like science.

In your world there would be nothing because the one who invented the wheel would take it into his grave with him. Still I respect your work, but there should be a "base". I will still have thousands of lines for automated systems to recode in C#.

If releasing a base T2A will make you angry then I feel sorry for you because what will make your shard different should be based on your ideas, not coding/implementing some old, donebefore things. That would be your work to be honest, not sitting on your thing for hours and typing the "standart base".

Amazonia

Sorceror
That's what we call non-sense, you're telling me to make my own emulator? Why? I just don't get the reason why you want me to make my own emulator lmao... People had to tell me make your own shard if you're not happy of other shards now I have to make my own emulator? Wow, maybe I should make my own video game now, just in case EA gets offended.