RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UO Gateway Search Engine 50 - 75% done!

GoodVillain

Wanderer
UO Gateway Search Engine 50 - 75% done!

I have been working on a search engine the past 2 days for UO Gateway. It shows the list of shards or you can search to save time. If your wanting a roleplaying server, just search for it instead of looking at each shard in the list. It updates by loading off the http://uogateway.com/shardlist.xml off of UOGs site. Also on UOGateway it allows you to open the search from there. The program is programmed in Visual Basic, XML, and Javascript. It is fast and light despite it being a VB project.

The reason I am not releasing it is the search engine isnt loading the XML too well from the shardlist.xml Anyone very talented at Javascripting and XML, please contact me at [email protected] You may have to redo some Javascript/XML searching source.

Here are some screenshots below.

Arya

Wanderer
If you're programming it in VB use .NET to read the xml file and collect all the information you need for your search engine...

GoodVillain

Wanderer
I was talking to mr fixit. I made it were it only downloads the a updated list every hour. That means when you click update list, it will only update once an hour. This is so it doesnt kill his bandwidth.

Arya

Wanderer
What I meant is this: you're asking someone to help you read the shards.xml file using javascript. But you're programming in visual basic... you can use .NET to do it, it's actually very easy then :)

GoodVillain

Wanderer
:D

Yeah, I was thinking about adding filters. I can filter every thing in almost 30 minutes of work.

I havent been working on it lately because I have been helping out the Anarchy PvP shard.

GoodVillain

Wanderer
Well I have had some time to work on it today. I finished the updater. It allows updates only once every 15 minutes. I will higher this if Mr. Fixit tells me he is having bandwidth issues. I do not think it will.

Mr. Fixit told me about some updates that will happen. I dont know if he wants me saying what they are so ill wait for him to announce them. Anyway, until he gets the updates up I might not do much on this. I will rewrite the search engine code a bit to fully work with the .xml file. This is one of my first .xml projects, thats why its taking me a little while.

Last, but not least. It now minimizes into the system tray. This give quick access to the search engine and can also quickly connect you to a game just by a click.

Here is the latest screen shot.

nomad707

Knight
If interested id be more than happy to host the search engine if u rar it or zip it, it would be located at www.starcrafterz.com/uosearch or whatever pm or reply back :D

GoodVillain

Wanderer
Thanks for the offer but I all ready have a web host. I dont really plan on making a web site for this anyway.

I am having a updater error if anyone can help me out.

It updates with the exact .xml UOG has. It doesnt write into the .xml file to update but over writes it. But I still get this error. I found what causes the messed up .xml. But I can not get the updater to update a fixed version. UOG doesnt have these errors for some reason so it must be trouble on my part but it wont hurt to ask.

Heres the error pics.