RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UO runs slower with razor (pics inside)

UO runs slower with razor (pics inside)

I searched for other threads looking into the UO client running slow with razor running, but nothing with anything useful.

I did tests with my character sprinting on a horse without razor and with the razor client running, and I noticed that when razor was running, I took short to considerable sized pauses while running. My computer runs games just fine, I played WoW with no problems and used UO Assist a couple years ago to play UO on this comp.

Often while Im running around I get breaks in the screen like this

Im thinking it is mostly because my screen size might be too large, but I still don't run as fast as I do without razor operating. I tried setting the UO and razor priorities in the task manager at high, but still not much difference.

There isnt enough options for screen size and resolution included in both razor and UO.. any suggestions or ways to fix this? Or maybe other utilities to adjust the UO screen size? Razor seems to make the screen reach out further, but the characters seems so small and hard to click enemy players running around in combat.

ehh pretty confirmed it was the stretch of my screen mostly and not razor.. but I still see other people with this problem.

from the uogamers forums-
FLICK-hybrid said:
what ur screen res and do u use razor to strech ur gameplay window?

i use the rez all the way to the right 1280x1024 and i had to use razor to stretch my game screen and now i get these black spots when i just run str8 left and right i was just wounder if it was cause of razor stretching or my processer sucks or what

Im running 2.4 GHz with 768 MB ram.. any other option we have to not play in a window 1/4 the size of our screen besides shitty full screen mode?

Zippy

Razor Creator
The little black boxes are a result of using Razor to change the screen ressolution. Razor still uses the UO client for drawing, and the UO client does not have good support high ressolutions... What we have in razor now is probably the best it is going to get. There is only so much you can do to a 10 year old game. If you use a lower ressolution, the block boxes will happen less... but anything over 800x600 will probably have them at sometimes.

With reguards to slowdown.... If you are comparing Razor with high ressolution to the client with normal res thats like comparing apples to really big apples. Its a bad idea. Turn off the ressolution feature and test that. If they come out the same speed, then the problem is the client itself taking extra time to draw your big client screen, not razor at all.

I doubt that Razor alone would cause significant slowdown. I've never experienced it myself, running on a 2.0gHz laptop (1gb ram) I am able to keep pace with other players.

Razor can use a lot of memory (100mb+ sometimes) so if you have a lot of other apps running on your system at the same time then you may be low on ram. Try closing big programs (like IE, Firefox, MS Word, Email programs, stuff like that) and see if it helps. Keep an eye on your memory usage in task manager. You can buy ram really cheap these daus, 768 is low for a 2.4 GHz. 1.0GB is fairly standard now, and I highly recommend it, as it seems windows XP itself uses 300-450mb... thats half your ram right there.

If razor really is causing you slow down and none of this helps... There isn't a lot else I can do for you.

Large

Wanderer
In my experience Razor slows down my cumputer too after a period of time but this time comes quicker if i have used Macros.

The reason for this is Either Razor or UO Client taking up all available RAM (i have about 60Mb free (or less)) I forget which but i will check.

When i run UO without Razor i experience no slowdown whatsoever even after playing in excesss of 5 hours which would be ample time to experience slowdown with Razor running.

I am running UO client with all default settings (Res ,etc)

I will try to take a sceenshot for you.

Large

Large

Wanderer
Jus tstarted Razor and UO Client, you can see mem usage.

This next picture is after just walking and running around

It seems to take up more memory in Client.exe and release it after you are stood still for a while.

This next pic is running a Macro to do a double click for 30 secs

And this next one with macro stopped after further 20 secs or 30 secs.

Please look at "Client.exe" Memory usage in all pictures.

This is clean install of UO mondains Legacy with all updates and clean install of Razor btw.

well i can tell you one thing, you have way to many programs running - or running at start up eating up your memory

you need to do some major triming on your computer
run msconfig.exe and lower out many of the starting programs and the services you do not need - like ALG, etc

on my system (AMD 2.3 ghz 1 meg mem) i currently have runuo 2.0 running, UOG, 4 clients & 4 razors and internet explorer - and i have 328 meg left of memory
and with all those running i still have only a total of 35 processes running (there are 11 [listed above] of them and norton AV corp is an other 8)
so that makes it only 16 total things needed (or close to being needed) items running - will vary from computer to computer based on video & sound cards, etc and how much server work they are actualy doing - but most computers have so much stuff running that is not needed it is reduculous - wisptis, wuaudit, and other programs, are not needed and just slow the system down

and for everything running - it all takes time slices up, and those can cause more lag than anything
so now you add in razor taking up its on memory and its own timeslice, you are going to just add to list of stuff slowing you down. but if less stuff was there to begin with, then adding in razor would not be as much a buredon on the system

think of it as the straw that broke the camels back - camel can carry so much weight, but eventuly just adding the weight of 1 straw, the weight became to much for the camel to handle
so it is the same with the computer - can have only so much open at once

Zippy

Razor Creator
Razor does not change the memory usage of Client.exe, in all of the cases above Razor's own memory usage was less than 20MB.

This is purely a client problem, and not something that I can solve.

Large

Wanderer
Mem, okay

So your telling me to take stuff out of memory for running it then, okay.

Answer me this then.........

How come i can run CS:S with TS or Planetside with TS with all the things in memory you see there running with no crashes no slowdown, no problem (well except for PS code being bad at times) but i can't run a game from the 90's with a peice of software which is written with todays coding standards without having problems?

Oh and i can run UO with no Razor fine for hours.

My things in HKEY\Local Machine\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run Etc are all the things i want running there and have had no problems with before.

Maybe what you mean is Razor is interfering with some of these programs in my startup (Razor must be as no others do) and causing this problem.

But i don't see why i should adjust my Memory Allocation just for one program.

Just trying to hepl but i can assure you i am not a newbie to computers
Zippy, What type of INT hook was used for Razor to UO client?

Large Out

Large

Wanderer
Zippy said:
Razor does not change the memory usage of Client.exe

You are correct but if what i suspect is right then Client.exe adjusts the memory of itself when i am walking when i stop it releases the mem, if i walk none stop for hours them loadsa mem will be taken up but when i stop it is released again.

So when i loop the double click the action is being que'd non stop but the memory is not being released after every double click so see my PM if you think this is correct and maybe i can help.

Goat-hybrid

Wanderer
Large said:
How come i can run CS:S with TS or Planetside with TS with all the things in memory you see there running with no crashes no slowdown, no problem (well except for PS code being bad at times) but i can't run a game from the 90's with a peice of software which is written with todays coding standards without having problems?
Knowing what an INT hook is you'd think you would know your own answer. Since you don't I shall elaborate, the Ultima Online client was developed in the 90's as you have already stated. In the 90's the DirectX capabilities were not as robust and elegant as they are now. DirectX upon release of Ultima Online was version 5.0. Such things in the UO client are very hackishly written, and it probably still uses Direct Draw, unless you’re using the 3D client which you clearly are not.

DirectDraw alone takes up more memory by not utilizing the AGP interface to increase performance and memory usage. DirectDraw was basically discontinued after DirectX7. Chances are the people at origin are using the same code and just don't bother to update, after all why should they?

As for Razor being the cause I really doubt it, Razor was made in C# and has a garbage collector. Chances are you wouldn't be double clicking something over and over to make a target without targeting something. So it very easily could be doing:

newaction = new DoubleClickAction;

Resulting in memory leaks, were newaction is the current action; if you’re double clicking a knife, it might create a new node and when you click a corpse to cut it. It then finishes that node by linking it with the corpse. Followed by deleting the previously made node; this in return would free the memory, seeing as we have no view of the Origin client’s code this can not be determined. The problem lies in the client though.

Large

Wanderer
Well i'm up for a bit more testing and will post answers sometime. Have installed UO Gold (I was using Mondanes Legacy) and am going to try this with a reinstall of Razor.

Have removed Razor and Mondanes Legacy And deleted remaining files and installed UO Gold which i have been playing on for the past 4 1/2 hrs with no prob, will install Razor and launch UO through that and see if i have same problem, Oh and i am all patched up on the client.

Will post results later on (if i can stay awake)

Cya

Zippy

Razor Creator
Also you stated that you're using Razor to increase the screen size. It is possible that increasing the screen size causes something in the client to not properly release all the memory the screen is using, and thus leak memory.

If you want to have an unbiased test, you should leave off options like CPU reduction and Screen size alteration.

delta313

Wanderer
same problem of excessive memory usage

I am experiencing the same problem when running razor.

after a few hours I experience excessive memory usage from the uo client.exe. > 250Mb so I have no choice but to close it and restart it again.

If I run 2 clients, one running macros and the other doing nothing, then the one runing macros will take considerably more memory than the one standing idle

this only happen
1) when using razor to start UO AND
2) using a lot of macros continuously

Any suggestions we can try?

Malaperth

Wanderer
What client version are you running? The only thing I can say about this thread is that I have run Razor along with the client on a rather poor machine and I can have 3 clients and 3 Razor's running at the same time with no speed issues.

I Cheat

Wanderer
The newer client versions suck. I was using 5.0.8.2 for awhile and I was running like shit. I could never keep up with anyone. I though it was lag but I downloaded an older client (5.0.1j) and now I can run just fine.

Download and older client and see if UO still feels slow.

delta313

Wanderer
UO client taking too much memory

its not a question of speed but more a question of the client taking too much memory after a few hours of running razor macros. I was using uo 5.0.8.2 but had the same issue with older uo clients.

I have 1024 MB of memory with about 500 MB free but with 2 clients running, after 4-5 hours the memory usage will be about 250MB/client, so my memory is full and I have to close the client to free memory. its anoying and looks like a memory leak or the clients are storing some kind of data in memory and not releasing it...