RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UODev is looking for RunUO download categories

SiriusDE

Sorceror
Hi all,

I hope I'm at the right forum, if not please feel free to move this thread :)

Perhaps the one or other heard about it: We are recreating uodev.de (amongst other things it will contain multilingual (english and german) tutorials, downloads and many ideas and impressions for UO developers). And because uodev.de should be a community project we want to work as closely as possible with the emulator communities. Currently we are creating the download section. And at this point I need your help.
One part of this section will be an extra area for RunUO. Therefor we would like to know which download categories you wish to have. As I see here at runuo.com you are differentiating between Scripts and Core Mods.
Are there any further categories you ever missed? For example subcategories like NPCs, Items, Systems or such?
Would a category like "worldfiles" be useful?

It would be great if you can give me some suggestions how to categorize RunUO downloads.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
SiriusDE

Edit: Almost forgotten: Are scripts from RunUO 1.x upwards compatible to 2.x?

Sythen

Sorceror
  • Perhaps offer a section for the various RunUO SVN/GIT repository mirrors... both official and non-official with the requirement that non-official ones be maintained at least once every 7-14 days (2week maximum).
  • A section for individual scripts is redundant unless you guys somehow make a one-stop shop between RunUO.com, ServUO.com, GIT/SVN repository libraries and provide links to individual scripts within each website and single links to repository libraries. I'm noticing more and more that people are setting up tortoise repositories to host their individual scripts so its a good idea.
  • It's a lot of leg work but if you guys are serious then it will get done. I think it's needed because there's no telling how long any UO emulation community site will be up and running as they seem to come and go quite consistently.
  • Look at my repositories directory tree, it might give you ideas. I have changed up the folders and renamed them to be more spot on in the category department. Just a suggestion ofcourse.

SiriusDE

Sorceror
Thanks for your suggestions Sythen.

Perhaps offer a section for the various RunUO SVN/GIT repository mirrors... both official and non-official with the requirement that non-official ones be maintained at least once every 7-14 days (2week maximum).
You mean just linking them, right? Is there such a huge amount of RunUO repository mirrors? Are the mirrors already listed somewhere? If not: What's the best way to find them? Sorry for that questions, but I'm new to all this RunUO things.

A section for individual scripts is redundant unless you guys somehow make a one-stop shop between RunUO.com, ServUO.com, GIT/SVN repository libraries and provide links to individual scripts within each website and single links to repository libraries. I'm noticing more and more that people are setting up tortoise repositories to host their individual scripts so its a good idea.
One of our goals is to unite all ressources on one site ... ok, I thinks that's nearly impossible, but we try to get as closely as possible. So we don't want to create "just another scripting respository". It should be more something like a collecting point and archive for all the existing scripts, tools, files and knowledge out there. It doesn't matter if the scripts are available via SVN/GIT, FTP, HTTP or if they just exist on a local harddrive of somebody, we want to archive them all (as far as it is allowed by the license). And of course your one-stop shop idea fits perfectly to our goals.

It's a lot of leg work but if you guys are serious then it will get done. I think it's needed because there's no telling how long any UO emulation community site will be up and running as they seem to come and go quite consistently.
That's exactly why we want to create this download area on UODev. There where too many UO development sites in the past going down with all their scripts, tools and knowldege. Lost forever.
Of course it's realy a lot of leg work, but we hope with the help of the whole UO community we will get it done. That's why the new UODev will allow everybody to add content to it.

Look at my repositories directory tree, it might give you ideas. I have changed up the folders and renamed them to be more spot on in the category department. Just a suggestion ofcourse.
Thanks a lot. That helps me to get as surface impression of how you guys are sorting your scripts.

If anybody has further ideas about how to categorize a download section for RunUO, please feel free to tell me :)

_Epila_

Sorceror
You may be also looking for tool files, I have a selection of websites that contains old/recent UO tools/patches/maps/art/etc that might be useful to add to downloads

http://runuo.uodev.de/ (yeah I had to to include your website on the list =P)
http://www.ryandor.com/files/
http://dev.uoquint.ru/projects (good one)
http://www.uocentral.com/
http://www.uo-pixel.de/
http://ultima.manawydan.cz/

These are the links I could retrieve from my history file, I may have more
I do also contains tons of files/tools which I could list them

Dian

Sorceror
You can contact me if something from Ryandor.com is not found that you are looking for.

SiriusDE

Sorceror
Thanks for all the links Epila. Of course we are also looking for tools and links to other UO-sites. Let me know if you have more :)
Dian Do you have a backup of the old ryandor site? The new one looks like there are less files than I thought it has in the past.

Dian

Sorceror
The UO Forum to Ryandor.com has not changed. I have scattered around on disks just about everything ever posted on there. And it may be tough to find where the download files are.

Ryandor is a good friend of mine, and I am Admin of the site, so was just offering help if you had issues finding something there, or if you wanted/needed to register, I could activate you.

Sythen

Sorceror
I also have an archive of everything Rayndor... I don't know him, but he has some useful information on his forums as well. Consequently Dian... why am I never able to find instructions on how to set up Dragon or even customize it. I have all of the builds I just don't know how to set it up in the directory; I'd like to possibly find a way for Dragon to do 3way transitions like UOLandscaper can do.

Dian

Sorceror
Well, it has been years since I have used Dragon. But there should be a browse button to put in the directory you wish to use for the build folder, and for where your image file is.
As to the 3-way transitions, Dragon was a simple solution to map making originally, and was only intended to create 2 way transitions. If I remember right, it is not capable of anything beyond the 2 way. I tried like crazy to get the source code years back, but the dude just would not let it go. He did make a few updates from time to time based on our needs, but that was it.
Ultimately, that was the main reason for the creation of MapGenerator by Punt. UOLandscaper was very similar since Punt helped with that one prior to creating MapGenerator.

If you asked me, I would not use Dragon if I was just starting out. I would use MapGenerator, or even something more current, which at the moment I can not think of what the other(s) are.

Anyways, the only Customizing you are able to do with Dragon is within the transition files themselves. You can do quite a lot with them, and I have created several custom versions (like one for dungeon areas only, one for desert areas, etc..) but again, I think Dragon, albeit a great tool, is still just too restricted compared to the few others avaliable now.

If you are still wanting to use Dragon and need help, let me know and I can dig mine out to refresh myself a bit, and help out.

Dian

Sorceror
You know, HellRazor might know something more on the transitions, or at least confirm either way as well. He created a lot of transitions back in the day too, probably more than I had ;)