RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming changes... RunUO and UOGamers - ROUND2

Which location do you prefer?

• Total voters

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
It's been quite a while since you've heard from me, but it's time for an update... and some changes!

First and foremost - Thank you to all of you who continue to support our gaming community. I realize it's past it's ten minutes of fame but those of you who love it are what keep it running ;)

Now, with that out of the way we're going to be making some pretty large scale changes to the RunUO and UOGamers world. As of the end of this month we will be decommissioning the bulk of our Cincinnati based Datacenter. Over the past few months I've been slowly migrating a lot of our websites or projects we host over to the Rackspace Cloud. RunUO.com and the rest of it's affiliate sites have yet to move but will some time before the end of this month.

That leaves us with the game servers... there has been a lot of debate about where we put them and how we handle them going forward but I figured we could actually let you as the players offer us some feedback. Through the years we've hosted the game servers and web servers at various different places... Washington DC, Texas (Houston), Texas (Dallas), Seattle and Cincinnati.

Given all of these different places we've typically gotten the best overall response from our users by being in Texas. That said I'm going to offer up a few IP's of places we're considering and let you, our users make the choice! I feel like putting this control back in your hands is the best choice given your support for our community!

PLEASE NOTE - WE ADDED CHICAGO TO THIS LIST!

The choices are:

Dallas: 74.86.116.210
Houston: 173.193.70.98
San Jose: 50.23.64.58
Washington DC: 208.43.102.250
Seattle: 67.228.112.250
Chicago: 64.250.112.1

Vote in the poll to express your choice... this will allow us to better understand what works for you.

One thing to keep in mind - it's not *just* about your ping latency... it's also about how many hops it takes, how much packet loss you experience and all of those other things. If you don't understand this or don't know what it means don't bother worrying about it... just ping it and make a vote.

Thank you all for your continued support!

Thanks,
Ryan

Aegian Rayth

Sorceror
Hey Ryan... can you change the description of Demise on the main page so that we don't sound like a 'test center'? I really feel like it's crippling Demise's chance of gaining new members when new players are picking their first server. A simple rewording could make a big difference.

P.S. - Thanks for all you do. Still enjoying RunUO.

Kraz

AssistUO Developer
Staff member
Dunno if possible, but it would be great to choose the best 2 options instead of only 1, that way we could have a better idea on which is the best datacenter for most users.

OblivionDR

Squire
I have advice, offer EA a cut of donation profits for the right to use online advertising! facebook ad's, google adwords! if fact someone not in anyway associated with runuo or uogamers could legally get away with a ad or two :p also, i had planed on play my hybrid characters when i was old and decrepit, so keep the uogamers alive!

In fact, now that i think about it you could indirectly advertise your shards by advertising runuo, "the best Ultima Online server" (or something to make it "read between the lines" obvious) with a big fat link to uogamers :p Lets Face it. the interwebz is all bout indirect associations.

Advertise Razor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OblivionDR

Squire
In fact, now that i think about it you could indirectly advertise your shards by advertising runuo, "the best Ultima Online server" (or something to make it "read between the lines" obvious) with a big fat link to uogamers :p Lets Face it. the interwebz is all bout indirect associations.

Starnix

Sorceror
I'm voting for the one with the best ping-Dallas. With that said, for the most part I have zero packet loss and pretty good ping no matter which one you decide on. Thanks for everything!

a waffle

Traveler
I have advice, offer EA a cut of donation profits for the right to use online advertising! facebook ad's, google adwords! if fact someone not in anyway associated with runuo or uogamers could legally get away with a ad or two :p also, i had planed on play my hybrid characters when i was old and decrepit, so keep the uogamers alive!

Advertise Razor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertise Sallos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UlrichG&G

Sorceror
Well screwed that one up. Blindly revoted for my previous selections before seeing Chicago added to the list. My route is quite a bit better to Chicago than all others however none are terrible other than San Jose and Seattle.

Nikolai

Sorceror
I get a good ping to all three leading servers. Dallas is by far the best though. Everyone vote for dallas please.