RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

upload/download limits...

pepper170

Squire
upload/download limits...

I called up my IP Comcast about my bandwidth limits:
12mbps download and 2mbps upload as for the limit, There is a 250GB limit per account.

Is this enough for potental 700 clients?? If not, can someone lead me in the right IP provider?

Vladamir

Sorceror
pepper170;835824 said:
I called up my IP Comcast about my bandwidth limits:
12mbps download and 2mbps upload as for the limit, There is a 250GB limit per account.

Is this enough for potental 700 clients?? If not, can someone lead me in the right IP provider?

A dedicated server would be better than hosting from your home, unless you happen to live inside a data center... Shoot me a PM and we can go over some options that will be light on your wallet but up the power of your shard.

Nozgo1

Sorceror
actually....

Even @ 700 clients, thats still only roughly 1.4mbps. I really can't see any home hosted shard pushing a cable connections limit. You can start it @ home on your cable, and if later it gets to that point you can move the shard and if planned properly, it could be done in as little as 20 min's (more like 45 realistic).

Jeff

Lord
Nozgo1;835856 said:
Even @ 700 clients, thats still only roughly 1.4mbps.

No, its more like 3-4mbps upload, especially if they are all at a bank...which in a 700+ server, is bound to happen. Honestly, if you have 700 players, you should have the funds to afford hosting..

Nozgo1

Sorceror
Well, Yea, if this shard has 700 players regularly @ the brit bank then yes, I agree with Jeff, you should go with real hosting. Pepper did however say "potential" 700 clients. The average new shard start-up rarely gets above 100 players max online, and even if you wind up twice that you wont stress your IP with a cable connection. I am just trying to save you some cash. If it grows and starts to get higher numbers, say 600 max, 250 average online, then you can think about switching to a more expensive host. I'm not trying to discourage you. Just want you to look @ it realistically, and judge what you really want to spend before your sure what your population is going to be.

On a side note, if its open to the publlic, let me know, I love checking out new shards, pre-aos in particular.:)

pepper170

Squire
I guess Im just worried about going over my 250GB limit. I cant afford mistakes. So your all saying ill be fine at 600/700 clients with my current limit? If not, or in the future I need to upgrade, what plan would I need to buy and from what IP provider?

Im saying this because I know I will get alot of clients from the start only because I already have 200 testers (invite only), plus alot marketing ahead of time. I need to know about future options and dont want to be caught with my pants down if something as little as bandwidth limit gets in my way. Thank you!

**also, maybe there is a tool so I can messure the "strain" on my shard?

Jeff

Lord
To be honest, it doesnt matter, if you want 700 players, you need to get a better upload speed. Probably something at least 10mbs.. you only have 2, so you can only support roulghy 100-150 players anyway.

how does multi clienting effect those numbers?

I mean when I am multi clienting "sometimes" I am switching between screens quickly but usually I have other clients off to the side macroing.

Will my multiclienting use more of their bandwidth or will it effectively be around the same because of whatever load restrictions on traffic my ISP places on my connections end?

pepper170

Squire
Jeff;836037 said:
To be honest, it doesnt matter, if you want 700 players, you need to get a better upload speed. Probably something at least 10mbs.. you only have 2, so you can only support roulghy 100-150 players anyway.

where can I get this 10mbs?

JamzeMcC

Squire
Comcast has an option of 50mbps down 10 up in my area. I would suggets calling them and pricing it. If you need that much, it may almost be better to look into a hosting service but you can start by checking comcast and their options. :cool:

Jeff

Lord
Why don't you start small, its going to take you so long to get 600-700 clients...just start your server, and monitor it, if you see your players climing past 100 consistently, look for new options. Don't pay for the ability ot get 600-700 up front, UOGamers is the most active server around here, and has 600-700 clients, not many other have this claim to fame, and there are hundreds of servers.