RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPnP

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
UPnP

I've been seeing more and more issues with people not being able to have outside players connect, or some type of connection issue. It's always been a minor problem with RunUO and other servers. Even though I think that if you are going to run a server, you should know how to forward a port in your router. I've also been wondering if anyone has ever considered adding upnp support to RunUO.

It could be done using the windows NATUPnP 1.0 Type Library to make it work for windows in RunUO, but of course there would still be a way of trying to figure out how to get it working for Linux users. Not sure if Wine would handle the call to that component correctly or not.

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to pass the port the server uses to COM object that is included in almost every version of windows. Something this simple would solve a lot of newbies big first problems, would also mean a lot less posts in the support section for connection issues.

This is just an idea, not trying to stir up an argument or anything. Just wondering if something like this has ever even been considered for RunUO.