RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

virtual vs dedicated server?

Alyssa Dark

Sorceror
I've been busy focusing on mobs and mods i've gotten away from the bigger picture... current host is closing up shop end of this month... ugh... we might have a possible solution but that puts a lot on the person for home hosting, which is not an option at my house, so i'm researching some other options too.

I don't have a lot of experience with the networking/server aspects to hosting etc, we were previously on a dedicated server and i can't afford to go back to that but also keep hearing how cheap dedicated servers are just that, older and less reliable. Cloud servers wouldn't work for running a shard right? those are for documents etc? What about virtual servers? Those are same idea as a dedicated but divided up between several 'users' right? splitting up the resources?

I know several people probably thinking, why help out the competition? lol but if anyone could give any insight or can say how a virtual has worked for them, would be great, thanks.

Somehow, someway, we're staying up, lol, even if means short down time to figure this out.

(oh and i apologize if this is posted in the wrong section, wasn't sure if shoud be here or in starbucks)

daat99

Staff member
I never hosted any server so I can't speak from experience but I do know a lot about virtual machines.

Personally I always prefer hardware over virtual machines but it's impossible to tell you exactly what is better without actually comparing 2 options.

You can get a dedicated hardware server that is worst than a bad virtual server but you can't get virtual machine that can't be surpassed by a good (and expensive) dedicated server.

My point is that you can't get a good answer on which is better because the answer changes on a case by case basis.

If you do have several options for your price range and you want to compare those options than I could be more insightful.

Sorry :(

hungry4knowhow

Sorceror
go to webhostingtalk.com, checkout their dedicated server offers section and virtual private server (VPS) offers sections, make a spreadsheet and start comparing resources/price, then once you have it wittled down to a few start searching the site for the companies you are looking at and reading reviews.

MikuzA

Sorceror
Cheers, can't say regarding hardware servers but I myself has just started building a RunUO on ubuntu on a flexible cloud virtual server.
I have the possibility to start with a 1 shared core and 512 MB of RAM just to get this running / do the dev. When more ram/more cores are required, I can on the fly add more cores or RAM to the server.
And the payments get calculated of requirements per hour. So technically you can raise the amount of RAM/Cores during 'high user peak' and lower it during lower user peak to save some cash.

This service is currently having hosted virtual servers at Helsinki, Finland and London, England.
From all variances, this flexiblility is possible with Virtual Servers and having this on RunUO might keep your players happy.

But from all sides I see this current service as the most flexible and cheapest. I can actually pay for what I require.

daat99

Staff member
Keep in mind that changing the ram when the server is up (especially reducing it) is a very bad idea.

That kind of a change requires a restart to be feasible (in order to avoid damaged files and memory) so that means "restart the server virtual machine before/after peak hours" every time.

I'm not so sure players would like the multiple restarts that takes longer (you need to restart the virtual machine itself in order to be safe, not just the RunUO server).

HOWEVER:
Using such a service as a starting point to get the feeling of how much resources you really need might be a good idea.

Later when you figured the numbers you can always look for dedicated server with the same specs.

There's no point in using 16GB RAM if you can get away with less (but 521MB, really? doesn't sounds reassuring to me).

rmacham

Sorceror
I use kimsufi.co.uk to host my server, I use the first one at £18/month - - I saved myself money due to having my own Windows Server Key - but you can use linux with them aswell.

It's fine for running a server.

KHzspeed

Sorceror
my honest opinion.
unless you're dead-set planning on hosting a off location dedicated server, nothing beats hosting your shard at home.
-full control over your systems hardware, customize your physical server to your shards needs.
-uses minimal bandwidth to host, even with a 10mb cable connection you're capable of hosting a 50player shard with little or no connection lag.
-no added monthly bills outside of your average monthly utility costs.

Lets be realistic here for a moment.
we all dream of having the next 100 to 200+ player count shard, when in honesty. you'll be lucky to break the 10 consent players a day marker.

before you dive head first into hosting a Shard, test it.
If you're successful and do eventually become the next Hot topic shard people rave about, then consider moving to a high-speed dedicated system.

Think_Logic's_First

to touch base on this more.
if you do plan to host from home:
any cheap dual-core system will work flawless, a minimum of 2gb ram, and your set.
If it's hardware you need, poke around Craigslist.
I bought my server (a Dell poweredge 2850) for under $150 usd. an for hosting a shard, it's Overkill.
what that bought me- ("dual cpu" dual-core 64bit 2.8ghz Xeon system with 16gb DDr2)

KHzspeed, what about the people who can not port-forward? Like i have verizon fios, and the router i have will not allow for that many ports to be open. If you are really curious as to why Alyssa has chosen to off-location host, ask her. i know why, and its good reason.

KHzspeed

Sorceror
every situation requires it's own solution.
and as i've pointed out- Hosting with your own dedicated server dose hold it's advantages.

Alyssa Dark

Sorceror
lol things like kid pulling powerplug out, hubby doing a lot of netflix, etc.. and our dsl has only been in area for about 4 or 5 years now, and it royally sucks was boonie dial-up before then and couldn't really surf the web then... we're in the middle of nowhere and i did do home hosting to start with, pretty much frozen with 15 players on, active or not, ip always changing etc...

thanks for all the suggestions, i'm researching some virtual possibilities, dedicated seems to run higher which i can't afford right now... basically curious if someone is using a virtual already and how it's working out for them... :)

KHzspeed

Sorceror
could always ask around here if somebody would host for you too :)
I feel your situation, and I do understand. I just opt for the cheaper solution being a Free-2-Play game. :/

daat99

Staff member
Asking people to host for you is fine as long as you are aware of the risks.

They can wake-up the morning after you have your shard set up and pull the plug.

Leaving you in the same situation and them with all of your shard hard work and custom systems.

Alyssa Dark

Sorceror
i'm little leary of having someone else host it at home, trust is an issue then, lol

i know most are not the kind to well, take it and run, but there are those few who make that difference.. lol

daat99

Staff member
I'm not speaking of just hosting at home, I'm talking about shared hosts too.

I saw need to mention it because I encountered a shard that was stolen from his owner this way in the past.

rmacham

Sorceror
Godaddy have VDS *Virtual Dedicated Servers* which i've used for a runuo server before, however I find Kimsufi much cheaper and more reliable.

For £18 a month (This is the general price for a decent VPS aswell)

Intel Celeron 1.2Ghz Dual-Core
64bit Architecture
10-100mbs Connection
2GB RAM
1TB HDD
100GB Backup to FTP Off-Server
Plus choice of operating system.
Plus ability to upgrade and assign extra IPs if needed.

daat99

Staff member
The CPU bugs me.

Celeron is not only very old CPU but one of the worst CPUs ever (said a former Intel employee...) and virtualizing it...

Also check out its speed, just 1.2Ghz (compared to the average of 3Ghz modern CPU's has).