RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[WARNING]Possible Credits Stolen

pinco

Sorceror
[WARNING]Possible Credits Stolen

I'm a moderator in a forum and a member stolen credits in many script... for some I dont found the real creator...
If someone know one or more of that script and think which have a stolen credits, please let me know, thanks for collaboration :)

The member is registered as "Matrix" in the follow link but here is "DjMatrix"

1) GM Tool: http://www.zarathos.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736

2) Race System 0.2: http://www.zarathos.net/archive/files/runuonetwork/scripts/RaceSystem-0.2.zip
and
Race System 0.1:
http://www.zarathos.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

3) Password Changer: http://www.zarathos.net/archive/files/runuonetwork/scripts/PasswordChanger-1.0.zip

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Its another website?

What are you claiming exactly?

He posted those scripts on another website, a member can do what he wants on his own website or even another website.

As long as he doesn't do it here, and claim he wrote something he didn't, then he is welcome to do what he wants.

Unless there is more proof that he didn't write those, or even if they are the same person, but the moderators won't do anything because he posted it on another website.

Ravatar

Knight
Doesn't really matter that much. In fact, Ryan didn't even want people to claim credit for their scripts when RunUO first launched, for situations like this.

bzk90

Lord
i remember a while ago when people started tieing in credits into the code and if the credit was removed the script stoped working. Ryan was pissed that the community became filled with so many credit whores.

is it right to claim something as your own if you didnt make it?
NO

But if you look on the bright side, its flattering in a way, that somone loved your code so much they wanted it as their own to share with the world

pinco

Sorceror
i'm not explained so well (my bad english :( ). This person have posted a code but in many script have stolen the code from here (code not made by him). If someone know the truly maker of the code please tell me who is and I correct the credits :)

Arajh

Wanderer
Seanchen.net said:
Its another website?

What are you claiming exactly?

simple :
1. He's a mod on another website
2. Member of the website he mod posted scripts and claimed it was his work
3. He found out somehow that it wasnt true

He's just asking if anyone know the real authors of the scripts so he can give credits where it's due. Pretty simple!

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
bzk90 said:
i remember a while ago when people started tieing in credits into the code and if the credit was removed the script stoped working. Ryan was pissed that the community became filled with so many credit whores.

is it right to claim something as your own if you didnt make it?
NO

But if you look on the bright side, its flattering in a way, that somone loved your code so much they wanted it as their own to share with the world

Its really a balance, I think its right to say 'hey I wrote this" but to tag everything you do and make a big deal is going to far.

But you should claim other peoples work at the same time, and as an author, you hope other people will stand up and say "hey bastard don't steal his work".

Which is what I do, as an author I try to protect the unwritten right of the author, but I wouldn't want an author to go crazy.

Because 90% of the shit people write, is based on the default script, only the most original code should be protected farther then the middle ground.

Courageous

Wanderer
Because 90% of the shit people write, is based on the default script...

You and copyright law are in alignment. Copyright only protects "non trivial" works. Of course, what this means exactly, is anyone's guess. A haiku is copyrightable, and those are short ass bits of poetry. So there you go, yet more throw away words in the law, go figger.

C//

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Courageous said:
Because 90% of the shit people write, is based on the default script...

You and copyright law are in alignment. Copyright only protects "non trivial" works. Of course, what this means exactly, is anyone's guess. A haiku is copyrightable, and those are short ass bits of poetry. So there you go, yet more throw away words in the law, go figger.

C//

I am not talking about stuff like your RE system, I am talking about that modfiied Mobile in the submission forum, it wouldn't even exist without the Mobile class.

Thats something I feel, is wrong to make a big deal about, but something else is well important enough to "speak up" and say "thats wrong".

Really depends on the script to be honest, which is wrong I suppose, doesn't change how I feel. Scripts that are pure logic base, are valid code, they could be used in another instance if they were adapted to do so is my thinking.

bzk90

Lord
I agree that certain scripts should be protected and that others are such garbage that no one realy cares

something like knives chat should be protected where as something like jupiter armor shouldnt.

If the guys a mod on the forum just have him ban the plaugerist...

Courageous

Wanderer
I am not talking about stuff like your RE system,...

I know. :) I was saying that the law has this idea that trivial things aren't really copyrightable (example, perhaps an armor mod) but then contradicts itself to some extent, making something as a small as a haiku a protected thing. So who knows what the law says? I think, though that obviously trivial things are very unlikely to see their day in court, particularly like a script, and worse, the owner would have to be mean spirited to be particular about it. I think these scripts should have credit in the headers, and leave it at that. For one thing, that's the spirit of this community.

C//

bzk90

Lord
Trivial doesnt necesarily mean "of small size"

haikus aren't trivial becuase they are original underived works

custom armor is trivial because its based off code that has already been writen and distributed by default in runuo.

something like knives chat is not trivial because it required alot of coding that wasnt just copy/paste/edit a value/change a class

Courageous

Wanderer
This is an interesting point of view, and a good insight. If something is a copy/paste/edit of something else, this something is derived. It belongs to the original author, under the law, and perhaps the rules of the community ("the modding community") say that it "belongs to the community with credit."

C//