RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What makes you play a shard?

Dodge1965

Wanderer
Its pretty aparrent that each of us likes/dislikes something different. Too much staff interaction/staff not interested, too many customs/same old s**t, gains too easy/gains too hard.

It's sods law that what one person likes, the next will probably hate. The great thing is that there's a lot to choose from until you find one that suits you.

i think the most sucessful shards and likely the longest surviving will always have a clear direction and not waste time trying to please everyone who logs in.

I usually reckon that if you log into a shard and the existing players seem to be happy and busy, then the owners are doing something right, even if it's not necessarily what i'm looking for.

chaale

Wanderer
I guess it's just balance. I mean, you have to have a main idea leading the base of your server and must stick to it. Then, your goal is to keep it well balance and adding time to time some minor addons. Of course, your "main idea" won't fit to everyone, but at least, sticking to one idea and not always turning back every features on your server creates a strong well established community of players, which will make your server.

what i look for in a shard:

Balance is a big thing, there can be semi-uber items, as long as there is a way to to either keep them down in numbers (rare things to make them with, high skill, etc), and should be made so that you have to "earn" your way tohave them. not walk onto a shard and be instantly king of the world

player economy - even is pure barter based, amounts of gold does not matter - if it is 100 or 100k for items - realy same thing, just larger number.
but a system of like - the fighter gets the rare item needed to make something, sells/trades it to the craftsman, he makes an item then sells it back out - etc

quests, from nice quick spontanious events to longer planed or continuing ones

PvP should be optional in some way - like Fel only or by dueling system, etc
(and if fel only - make it so fel has perks, but rares and such can still possibly be found on other maps too)

nice staff -- not to friendly, and not snobs either

good custom items, monsters (even just a feew color changes are good, but stregnths and weaknesss should be modified), crafting systems, rares, etc
including craftables, woods, leathers, ores, etc

NO super uber items, specialy from donations. donations rewards should be in there, but not something that flaws the balance of the game

Optional RP areas & events

And also some stuff to remind us of the origional Ultima games

Custom dungeons, levels, switch things around, make it interesting - why does destard need dragons - can be butterflies :). what ever :))

Because of this - is why i made/making my own shard - so i can make the "perfect" world

Syphris

Wanderer
i look for customs items that dont require much download. no regs. custom mounts are nice but not needed. all skills at start or like 75 in all or something. a decent community that does NOT go OWNED YOU $#%$^&%$#^&%$#%^#$ in chat and such when they kill. (though arguments are fun). custom pets are cool like those dragons you raise from an egg. PvP w/o tram. one thing that annoys me is some places your new char spawns in brit instead of a supply room or something and you start off with a death. frequent events are nice but i dont like servers w/o customs since someone who gets lucky with a UBAH leet wep is gonna own the server and im neverlucky enough to make 30 ssi 50dmg inc, double 50 leeches and a spell on hit 50% and then they win a pvp event and get like lower attack/defense or something and your like GOD HELP ME..... ya thats what i think...(sorry for the rambling on)

Magus Bstone

Wanderer
what I like

I like shards that have no chat rolling across the screen. It's not like they had phones in medieval times, so how can i talk to Joe Blow in fel when im in tram?

Balance is also desired if its not balanced it gets boring fast :(

Dont really care if there is custom armor or weapons if the crafters can produce nice peices.:cool:

Evos are evil they make taming skills unneeded on most shards that dont set them to work off skills .:eek:

Gaterooms to everything,really makes life boring also.:)

Hues really dont bother me because I dont have to use them if I dont want to:D

darkoverlord

Sorceror
hmmm big turnoff's is the favoritism... where you see staff catering to a particular group of characters... and then the ppl who want to be in that uber group who kiss those peoples butt's.

I dont mind donating... It costs money to run a game... but keep the donation prices balanced to gold costs... this shard I played on 10 dollar donation got ya a million gold... once your tame was high enough ya can buy a chimera for 500k to a mil depending on its stats... or ya can donate 61 dollars for the same thing lol bet they didnt get a lot of donations... I even emailed the admin a lengthy super polite and politically correct letter which pointed out the many strong points of their hard work and tried to explain about the donations... never heard back from them... oh well life goes on.

Shadow82

Sorceror
Aos server with lots of customs, absouletly NOTHING too rigged. like mercs and evo's or really cheap items. Servers with alot of options to do(customs) keep the players entertained and busy

Radwen

Wanderer
Let's keep this thread for all public .. and not go in more details.

I only have 12 hours of work left to do ! For tomorrow noon. +1 hour for supper (my dads birthday .. the ******) +1-2 hours for breaks ..
15 hours .. it's going to be 8 am ..
I'll be finished, i'll sleep to hours, then go to school. Expose it for the show. Then I can leave .. and IM FINISHED SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!
yayzorz. No more freakin stupid college for me ! At last.