RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What makes you play a shard?

Greystar

Wanderer
Anti-Basic said:
i personally would love this. nujelm has a courthouse with a guillotine nearby would be perfect for this....is there an animation for the guillotine? if so that could also be realistic to medieval times...ppl used to watch and cheer as people got beheaded...although that may be too morbid for younger players..
also if the person loses in "court" you can put a flag next to their name like {scam} if he scammed somebody so people will know not to trust him or whatever in the future and also add a tag to the account if you catch him macroing unattended, so that gms can check on him her from time to time and make sure hes not UMing.
of course you can do this all manually ingame but if it were automated it would be so much easier. and also if there arent any staff on (i know this was someone elses pet peeve when picking a shard eeep) are if they were busy...should give them a form to fill out to help weed out stupi players saying stuff like "he killed me too fast, he must be hacking!" or a newbie: "that guy told me yew gate had a nude beach!" etc.

also my rant on shards: all those damn colors! weird strange modifications references to real life (once played a shard that had a store called "wal-mart" Really!) and shards who have totally gone overboard with custom stuffs
oh yeah and banksitting; if your gonna use uo to chat do it in a place that ppl dont goto often...first off people around you who dont know you dont want to hear who your married to, who your fucking on the side, and how old your kids are. second off, on a shard with every facet using fel ruleset (like mine will) if theres 30 people in front of the bank you are not gonna cut thru them easily unless you have Infinite stamina. not to mention most of them are either afk or selling stuff noone wants
wow....my anger just flowed for a minute there

I have seen an animated guillotine that works and was released somewhere on these forums... beheaded myself numerous times just cause it was funny.

can you linkie me to it? i want blod . would search but i dont know if im spelling it correctly guillotine? gulliotine? wow...english language is not my strong suit. and why can i not change my font size?

Joeku

Lord
Anti-Basic said:
can you linkie me to it? i want blod . would search but i dont know if im spelling it correctly guillotine? gulliotine? wow...english language is not my strong suit. and why can i not change my font size?
The guillotine was made by alambik, and it's posted in Alambik's Package Release. Enjoy!

Greystar

Wanderer
Joeku said:
The guillotine was made by alambik, and it's posted in Alambik's Package Release. Enjoy!

yah i just found the following (took me a bit)

http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39705&highlight=guillotine
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54566&highlight=guillotine
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49842&highlight=guillotine
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45893&highlight=guillotine

some of them are probably different versions
EDIT: One of the versions was modded by Jadis to make it flippable.

PappaSmurf

Knight
What I like....

Well there's a big list (I think)

PvM & PvP I think it should be strictly player option nothing makes me madder than to log on a shard and soon as I pop up in a town WHAM!!! OoOOoOoO your dead cause it a PvP free for all it should be completely optional.

Blanced Monsters vs Character types Everyone knows some types of Character Builds have an easier time controlling different types of Spawns vs others. I like to see a Shard where the Custom Monsters and Spawns are used to balance out this so the Tamers can't just walk into any dungeon/Spawn group and take over.

Variety. I like a Shard that keeps or at least attempts to keep the aviable items and area upto date with EA/OSI. This allows more diversity in Characters....I mean who really wants to see everyone running around in Studded Leather waving a Katana?

Events...I remember when Events were more than a Perk to introduce new items/areas into the Game on EA/OSI servers...That all went to crap when "Lord Richard" left the team.

Staff I want a staff that is friendly attentive yet firm and just..I want them to be able to openly interact with the player base (Hell occasionaly play pranks as long as they are harmless) yet be professional when it comes down to business.

Economy I want a server with a totally Player driven Economy where player interaction and co-operation is a necessity not an option....In short make player crafted Items better than Loot times with a few short exceptions.......

I'd like a SE or ML enabled Shard with a Pre-AOS Ruleset...heck make that a Pre-LBR shard....more along the lines of Third Dawn.

I like a shard where the player base is friendly (for the most part) and willing to give new players a Leg up so to speak be it a set of half way decent armor and a couple mid range weapons or offering to show them around some of the custom areas.

I prefer a Shard that dosen't give out skills...but that's a minor issue sometimes it's nice if you don't have a lot of time to play I prefer Moderate skill gains over easy or overly slow gains.

I prefer a Shard that dosen't preach PvP is the only real UO because if it was there wouldn't be Monsters running around now would there?

I know this is lot along the lines of a wish list but......that's my $0.02 worth on this subject.

Ilutzio

Sorceror
"The guillotine was made by alambik"

Wait! Wasen't the guiliotine invented by a french doctor? ;) :rolleyes:

('Cause he wanted a "humane" way to execute people... heh, there's a funny paradox.)

you are correct...we learned this in history last year...and it is or at least was more humane...sometimes when they hung people, the neck did not break and they were actually choked to death by the rope causing the person to cough and spit up blood all over the place

you are correct...we learned this in history last year...and it is or at least was more humane...sometimes when they hung people, the neck did not break or only broke halfway and they were actually choked to death by the rope causing the person to cough and spit up blood all over the place..and i think he was french but do not remember his name...no wonder i failed that class
back to subject another thing i look for in a shard is LAGGGGGGGG...i am on dialup...if the server is on 4mb cable modem and hosts a shitload of people thats not helping me any...its like when me and my friends used to do dukematches (back in teh DOS days) with a friend and we both had 28k sucked like hell. especially when every single person used the holodukes..whole nother sprite added to the game each time
slow ass connection hosting a bunch of slowass connections is NOT cool

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Yeah, the rope length, the persons weight and the falling height are all essential elements that need to have the right proportions amongst themselves for a sucessfull hanging.

And the guiliotine was more humane then a screwed-up hanging; i guess.

But IMO no method of execution is humane.

(Anti: check ur mail also, i sent u the guide.)

Peoharen

Sorceror
1: PvM, PvPers that sit outside a dungeon to pk you and raid your last 20mins of work are lazy and do not deserve to play a game.
2: No halo hues, I do not want to replace a blown moniter becuse you have a fetish for neon stuff.
3: Friendly staff and players, I deal with aholes in real, gaming is my break from them.
4: If I care to make a char and play there then no freebies.
If I am just there to vist then I dont really care what you have...
5: Staff must have a lack of ignorance.
6: UO is not Pokemon game.
7: Shard must have a creative insight to it. Out-of-the-box servers suck, so do spammed custom mobiles that are nothing more then a rehued uber mage horse/dragons.
8: Lots of quests and events.
9: I am sure theres more, but I dont care to list them.
10: Laggless or close to it.

I can play just about anywhere as long as it obeys those rules.

Greystar

Wanderer
Anti-Basic said:
you are correct...we learned this in history last year...and it is or at least was more humane...sometimes when they hung people, the neck did not break or only broke halfway and they were actually choked to death by the rope causing the person to cough and spit up blood all over the place..and i think he was french but do not remember his name...no wonder i failed that class
back to subject another thing i look for in a shard is LAGGGGGGGG...i am on dialup...if the server is on 4mb cable modem and hosts a shitload of people thats not helping me any...its like when me and my friends used to do dukematches (back in teh DOS days) with a friend and we both had 28k sucked like hell. especially when every single person used the holodukes..whole nother sprite added to the game each time
slow ass connection hosting a bunch of slowass connections is NOT cool

heh back in the old modem days me and a friend would play those style games using a NullModem Serial cable that allowed Communication via the serialport, much better connection speeds :).

greystar said:
heh back in the old modem days me and a friend would play those style games using a NullModem Serial cable that allowed Communication via the serialport, much better connection speeds.
were you a wolfenstein or duke fan back then?

Ilutzio said:
Yeah, the rope length, the persons weight and the falling height are all essential elements that need to have the right proportions amongst themselves for a sucessfull hanging.
you and Quentin Tarantino would get along well...

But IMO no method of execution is humane.
yeah... even euthanaisa can cause pain...well accroding to some magazine i read in dentist office but i think that in case of execution, it should be painful. more than a shot in the arm neways...certain middle eastern countries do it right. you kill someone you get killed by one of their family members the same way you killed them, you steal your hands cut off, you rape a chick..well...ill let you finish that sentence...but dunt want to get in political debate on capital punishment so lets leave it alone

(Anti: check ur mail also, i sent u the guide.)
thankie thankie! getting dsl soon so i will start participating in that more often and your guide will help alot:)

PappaSmurf

Knight
Anti-Basic said:

certain middle eastern countries do it right. you kill someone you get killed by one of their family members the same way you killed them, you steal your hands cut off, you rape a chick..well...ill let you finish that sentence...but dunt want to get in political debate on capital punishment so lets leave it alone

I'm not going to debate on capital punishment but I've personally been to a few middle eastern countries and have to admit the crime rate there seemed pretty low......
I've always personally felt though that if the Goverment would start a Public access channel aviable for viewing in every area of what ever country you might be in and did a broadcast of executions, not leathal injection type either....I'm talking Ol'Sparky or tie them to a post and shoot them or Gas Chamber (and not the "They just drift off to sleep type gas) type excutions then the crime rates would drop dramatically.
I also beleive that crimes beyond murder in the US should carry a death penelty at the descretion of the ruling judge....Child Molestation and Rape being included on that list.

Greystar

Wanderer
PappaSmurf said:
I'm not going to debate on capital punishment but I've personally been to a few middle eastern countries and have to admit the crime rate there seemed pretty low......
I've always personally felt though that if the Goverment would start a Public access channel aviable for viewing in every area of what ever country you might be in and did a broadcast of executions, not leathal injection type either....I'm talking Ol'Sparky or tie them to a post and shoot them or Gas Chamber (and not the "They just drift off to sleep type gas) type excutions then the crime rates would drop dramatically.
I also beleive that crimes beyond murder in the US should carry a death penelty at the descretion of the ruling judge....Child Molestation and Rape being included on that list.

I agree, although most Child Molesters who end up in regular prison tend to die in prison, cause even murderers, do tolerate molesters... I think Rapists should be castrated for being charged of one crime... although some people get mis-charged for rape... Take my neighbor for example... he was charged for Rape because is G/f at the time was under the age of 17 and her parents found out about them having sex... he was then charged and convicted of rape... he is out of jail now AND Married to the girl her parents said he raped... So, there would be extenuating circumstances, but I do believe the death penalty should be applied to Child Molesters for certain... anywayz off my soapbox... but I do believe in Eye for an Eye justice.

Ilutzio

Sorceror
anti: "you and Quentin Tarantino would get along well..."

Haha! Perhaps.

anti: "thankie thankie! getting dsl soon so i will start participating in that more often and your guide will help alot"

Good! 'Cause there is no way to get good at mage PvP on a modem, trust me on this one, i played a mage both in pvm and pvp for three years on a modem.

PappaS: "I'm not going to debate on capital punishment but I've personally been to a few middle eastern countries and have to admit the crime rate there seemed pretty low......"

Why not? Debading is fun. =D
I think a harsh punishment for crime might bring it down some, but usually the criminals find ways around being caught. Just cause you don't see the crimes doesn't meen they'r not there.

pappa:
"I also believe that crimes beyond murder in the US should carry a death penelty at the descretion of the ruling judge....Child Molestation and Rape being included on that list."

*Gulp* "descretion", "judge", what if he has no descretion. What if he is bribed by someone or thretened?
What if he is basicly ignorant or blasé and doesen't care what happens to the defendant.
There is (atlest) one more major problem as i se it. If death sentence were handed out more often, then organized crime would uppen their resources when it comes to scaring off witnesses, jurymembers etc.
This would meen that the ones with ALOT of money and resources and those that are tied to an organisation get off scott free. While the poor guy dies, that's selective justice.

Greystar: "but I do believe in Eye for an Eye justice."

I belive in "an eye for an eye (or i can just pay you shitloads of money and go free); justice".

Seriously, i'm not joking. I think, these days, money can buy anything.
And that's just ultimatly sad.

XuriDabur

Sorceror
Anti-Basic said:
The guillotine was named after... (wait for it..) Joseph-Ignace Guillotin :) He didn't invent it though.

What would MAKE me play a shard, would be one where all features follow a "red thread" in their implementation. They should be fun, intuitive to use, follow common logic, and be realistic - in that prefered order.

I'm not looking for an OSI clone of any UO era. UO had the basic idea right, but got the implementation wrong, in my opinion.

If anyone here are familiar with the "Virtual World" vs "Game" theories, I belong in the "Virtual World" camp. Don't confuse this with "It's more important than a game, it's bigger than a game" - it just has to do with the implementation of features, with what features are available, and how they all hang together.

Basically, I'd play on a shard that managed to make use of the real potential of the UO client whilst following the concepts I mentioned above.

to
PappaSmurf said:
I've always personally felt though that if the Goverment would start a Public access channel aviable for viewing in every area of what ever country you might be in and did a broadcast of executions, not leathal injection type either....I'm talking Ol'Sparky or tie them to a post and shoot them or Gas Chamber (and not the "They just drift off to sleep type gas) type excutions then the crime rates would drop dramatically. I also beleive that crimes beyond murder in the US should carry a death penelty at the descretion of the ruling judge....Child Molestation and Rape being included on that list.
and
greystar said:
So, there would be extenuating circumstances
Agreed. People who do horrible shit shoulkd die, but yes there are alot of things should be considered. Thats why we have judges. thats also why it is one of the few jobs that should never be replaced by a machine (minority report anyone?)we need a human to decide things such as this. The only problem with having to have a human is, as ilutzio pointed out, humans can be(and many times Are!) bribed, blackmailed, threatened by the mafia etc

Furthermore, If you kill a killer is that immoral? Or is it a righteous act of justice (like on UO ;) hehe) and is killing someone who molested your child immoral? someone who raped your wife/sister/daughter? I firmly believe that the death penalty should be carried out by someone closely connected to the victim. And that the method decided by them as well. The only problem is sometimes the people involved are to passive to do anything about it. An ex of mine was sexually abused by her father when she was young. the mother and kids eventually left him but they never did call the police or do anything to him.