RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows VISTA

InOverMyHead

Sorceror
Windows VISTA

I am contemplating on getting Vista.
Can I hear from those of you that have it already what your thoughts are.

Jason

Wanderer
InOverMyHead;651624 said:
I am contemplating on getting Vista.
Can I hear from those of you that have it already what your thoughts are.

Wait

For the whatever comes after Vista, since its going to be another Windows ME.

Gyges

Wanderer
my 2 cents

I installed Vista Home Edition 64 on my system last weekend. So far its running great. It seems a bit snappier than XP 64 and it had no problems identifying all my hardware and loading appropriate drivers (which had always been a problem I've experienced with windows).

As for Runuo working with it; the only problems I had was with Aero theme. It causes nasty display problems with the mouse curser and prevents Razor from displaying counts in the Window Titlebar. So I turned it off. Now No problems.

Puron1794

Wanderer
I have Vista Home Premium on my laptop, and just put Vista Ultimate on my main desktop pc (I left XP on my older "backup" desktop pc just in case).

I have to say that I have no complaints so far..in fact I like the fact that they've actually made it easier to find and tweak performance settings etc.
The setups are MUCH more "user friendly" than previous windows versions. You can easily switch from running for high performance to running for bells & whistles or any combination thereof.

I've heard / seen people complaining about it more than I've heard it praised, but tbh I've also noticed that 90% of the complainers don't even have Vista yet to have any "hands on" opinions.

I'd say your best bet is to go to a store that has Vista loaded on floor model pc's and try it out...play with it for awhile and see if it suits your personal tastes.

WeEzL

Wanderer
My advice is wait at least 6 months or until SP1 is out whichever comes first. Let Vista get established first... I too have heard quite a few complaints about Vista. I'm waiting for some of them to be addressed before I make the move.

Malaperth

Wanderer
I never touch a new Microsoft OS for at least 2 years after it's release. When a new one gets released, every 12 year old with more brains than sense seems to want to create a virus or something that will make users of the new os's lives miserable.

Jeff

Lord
Jason;651625 said:
Wait

For the whatever comes after Vista, since its going to be another Windows ME.
Its not another ME, Its accually really good, I've been using it since it was released and am SUPER happy with it.

Puron1794

Wanderer
Jeff;651676 said:
Its not another ME, Its accually really good, I've been using it since it was released and am SUPER happy with it.

Finally someone else who's not pidgeon-holing it before they've even used it!
(glad I'm not the only who really likes it) :D

Jeff

Lord
Puron1794;651678 said:
Finally someone else who's not pidgeon-holing it before they've even used it!
(glad I'm not the only who really likes it) :D

Ya it looks good, Didnt have a issue with drivers( My computer is always new ), games run fine, programs run fine, I did however have an issue with VS.net but I think its my disc vs the OS, cause it installed fine at work.

Courageous

Wanderer
I have it installed. There are a variety of application compatibility issues (although a recent patch did remedy some of them). Example: photoshop didn't function properly.

It's a nice OS, and you should be looking forward to it. I'd recommend that you wait until SP1, though. I only installed it because I had a Hard Disk crash, and therefore the major scrub job one has to do with the new OS had to happen anyway.

UO client runs fine in Vista, btw.

C//

mordero

Knight
Jeff;651676 said:

Same here. If you tried the beta and didnt like it (cause of bugs, compatibility, etc), you should try the release, its a lot better now.

InOverMyHead

Sorceror
WOW!!

Thanks for all the input
I think I've made up my mind.
I'll wait before I get Vista.

By the way Puron1794, you look much younger than 30.
Do you still get carded?... :p

Erica

Knight
Only thing i noticed it is MSN Premium wont work with Windows Vista ive even looked for and update for MSN Premium for Windows Vista and no luck now Windows Live Messenger of MSN does work tho.

Puron1794

Wanderer
InOverMyHead;652082 said:
By the way Puron1794, you look much younger than 30.
Do you still get carded?... :p

Yes I do...for every friggin thing in the world. Cops have even accused me of having a fake ID :rolleyes:

HellRazor

Knight
Does Vista support more than 4 gigs of memory?

I have a lot of memory going to waste because of memory limitations in XP.

WeEzL

Wanderer
The 4GB limitation is a limitation on 32-bit OSes in general... Windows or Linux, the same limit applies. It's not just XP. Only a 64-bit OS will be able to address more than 4GB.

HellRazor

Knight
WeEzL;652660 said:
The 4GB limitation is a limitation on 32-bit OSes in general... Windows or Linux, the same limit applies. It's not just XP. Only a 64-bit OS will be able to address more than 4GB.

:(

I'd upgrade to a 64-bit OS but then there are the compatibility issues to worry about.

So what happens with all the memory above 4 gigs that you have installed? Its just totally wasted?