RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Routers

Wireless Routers

Okay, this is what I have:
Linksys Wireless-G 2.4Ghz 54Mbps Broadband Router.
Okay, I need something that is A LOT better.
Help!

-Storm

WeEzL

Wanderer
How much "better" is better? In other words, what kinds of things do you need it to do that your current router does not do?

Well, my current router supports wireless internet which is what I need. But, I need that internet to be ALOT faster.

-Storm

WeEzL

Wanderer
Storm33229 said:
Well, my current router supports wireless internet which is what I need. But, I need that internet to be ALOT faster.
At current internet speeds, unless you have a T3 (45MBits/s if I remember correctly) which is highly unlikely, 54Mbits is way more than adequate to support every consumer level internet service.

Now, if your wireless signal strength isn't high enough and your data transfer speeds are suffering because of it, then you might consider purchasing either a high gain antenna or a range extender unit instead of going to a new router. I've tried both... the range extender did the best job, but when I was forced to upgrade my router, it was not compatible with the range extender. I then tried a 7dbi high gain antenna... just for comparison's sake, the standard antennas on most routers are 2dbi. The 7dbi antenna didn't work well, but I managed to find a 15dbi high gain directional antenna and that's been working fine ever since. It's still not as good as the range extender, but it does the job.

Ok, so the company/brand I want to switch to is D-Link.
So I find a Wireless Router... then how exactly do i use it? lol. like i said im bad at this.

-Storm

WeEzL

Wanderer
Which D-Link router are you planning on switching to? Part of the reason I ask is that with D-Link, a couple of their routers use different firmware so the process is slightly different for getting them up and running. The other part of the reason is that also depending on which D-Link you have chosen, it may or may not be better than what you already have.

WeEzL

Wanderer
Uh, some D-Link routers aren't the greatest... you get what you pay for. But that's the same for all brands IMO. Once you get into their high end stuff though, D-Link is actually pretty good.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
I'm guessing you have a WRT54G, cause they churned 'em out like candy.

That router will probably do what you need. It is unlikely that you will be able to fill up the bandwidth that router can offer, unless you're sitting on top of an internet backbone.

@W: Linksys's high-end stuff is Cisco :p

WeEzL

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK said:
@W: Linksys's high-end stuff is Cisco :p
I know. I'm still saying D-Link's high end stuff is still good.

Besides, show me a consumer level electronics store that stocks Cisco routers for $200 and under. ;)

WeEzL

Wanderer
Again, moving to a different router will not speed up your internet access if your internet access is slow.

What is your wireless signal strength like on your current wireless network? Maybe let's start with that and then I can tell you whether moving to an uber router like that one you picked out would do anything for you.