RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

with the ability to cache script compiles now

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the ability to cache script compiles now

I have a great idea, that should not be that hard to implament

that a server with an option of -forcecache or something simular would use a cache file that was placed there instead of the scripts

so you would realy need like 2 different options
1) -makecache
2) -forcecache

this way - people using remote servers would not need to have their scripts posted up on the server

they could run the server to make the cache file, then just upload it when ever there are changes
(of course the file would not be made if errors occured)

this would help to protect shard owners from unscrupalious people from taking their scripts, etc (hosting companies, site (hosting) admins, etc

caould also be compiled with the owners account name & password built in - so if the owner wqs removed/changed by these people - it would not run

just looking for way for people not to loose their hard work to bad people

the free ones a lot of times (either companies, people, what ever) take the scripts and use them for them selves, or actualy steal whole shards

it is awful, but it happens and then there is not much people can do about it

i was on 1 shard where the site admin (person that took care of the web site and the file directory) stole the whole site - even account info and started his opwn shard as a duplicate of that one

if this was in place like i suggested above - that could not happen - only the account info could be taken (passwords are encrypted - so no worries there),
the items saves, etc, but with out the owners account - would not start up
and if he left the owners account intact - then the rightfull owner could log in and wipe the whole shard in matter of a few minutes

so this way - it protects a shards scripts from people that might even think of taking some or all of the scripts

Phantom

Knight
This isn't going to happen, based on the fact Ryan feels about the GPL license.

Its very clear you don't understand who the cache system work, RunUO still needs the scripts for the cache system to work, so your idea is flawed.

Go read the code, learn the code, and see for yourself.

i understand how it works
but the code can be placed in there that if a switch happens, it does not use the scripts and just the cache, or a special cache file instead of scripts
and it would not be that hard to code it in there, sense it is in there that if no scripts have changed, use the cache
so they add an other if statement - if forcecache use the cache

and this does not stop or affect the GPL license, because even with GPL, your stuff is still copywrited and your work, and if you choose to publish them, then you can not charge for them, but you do have the right not to publish them, and this protects that right

Its very clear you don't understand who the cache system work, RunUO still needs the scripts for the cache system to work, so your idea is flawed

and better not be flaming people, specialy when you do not know anything about them
I may be learning C# (and getting pretty decent with it now), but i have been programming since the late 70's with other computer languages
So i know how code works, and what can and can not be done in code
or what would be very messy to code
(try programming computer code into a system by placing 8 toggle switches to form a binary number from 0 to 255 then hitting the 9th toggle to set in that instruction, repeat for every instruction in the assembly code program - boy were key punch and tape punch a relieve to use once your code has been tested and working)

WarAngel

Wanderer
Lord_Greywolf said:
and better not be flaming people, specialy when you do not know anything about them

Saying that your idea is wrong or that you don't understand the cache system is not a flame. Stop whining.

the way that he worded it - it is a flame

Code:
Its very clear you don't understand who the cache system work

that is flaming

if he were to say - that the cache system does not work that thay - that would not be flaming

but he is stating that "you do not undersatand", which is a false statemnet, and is therefore flaming

Phantom in many of his posts malkes a lot of asumptions about people, and he needs to learn that it is flaming, may or may not be mild, but is still flaming

WarAngel

Wanderer
It's not a false statement. You are talking about the RunUO cache system, which works one way, and something which works completely different, so you obviously don't know what the cache system is if you are comparing them. Anyway, a flame is something like, 'you're a moron.' You're a moron. There, you were flamed.

the cache is a file that is made to be used instead of recompiling
it is used if there has been no changes to the scripts
so it can also be forced to be used if they wanted it to be, even if the scripts have been changed - just then none of the chages would be in there

someone has all ready even figured out a way to use the file and force it to be used instead of recompiling, but since it is not a core change, the scripts still have to be there

so my idea is able to be implamented with no problem, with in the core

so there fore other people are making assumptions they do not understand about the cache system

and flaming is making any dirogatory remark about a person, be it a minor one to a major one, so therefore Phantom's remark is flaming, even if minor

and your post has been reported for violation of the rules

WarAngel

Wanderer
Good. And I reported one of your older posts as being a flame towards Phantom, and it fits perfectly in your definition of a flame.

daat99

Staff member
Stop crying like a bunch of babies, grow up...

As for this idea, it won't likely to ever happen...
If you don't trust the people that host your shard, than don't let them host it...

Status
Not open for further replies.