RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working on UO Auto Patcher

Working on UO Auto Patcher

Hello All,

I noticed when using UO Gateway with shards that had changed or added artwork it would download full versions of the patched files. This is a major problem for players with low speed connections as I am sure is no surprise.

After thinking about it for a very very short time... I said to myself why arent we patching just what is different between the standard UO Files and Custom UO Files. So this is what I have been working on for a week now... (a TRUE Patching system) I am coming along nicely with the project and have been able to patch files succesfully with small compressed downloads and am finishing up the socket programming for the client and server.

I do realize that there is some risk to patching UO files since EA has the power to change the files at anytime which can effect the difference files generated, however if you are very concerned about that this will atleast only require you to do ONLY one full transfer and then patch that version from then on since you can guarentee what it contains.

This tool should be especially great for doing map changes to maps you create and revise over time.

I am just wondering if there is an interest in this type of tool in the community?

Hlal

Wanderer
ChrisTheAvatar said:
Hello All,

I noticed when using UO Gateway with shards that had changed or added artwork it would download full versions of the patched files. This is a major problem for players with low speed connections as I am sure is no surprise.

After thinking about it for a very very short time... I said to myself why arent we patching just what is different between the standard UO Files and Custom UO Files. So this is what I have been working on for a week now... (a TRUE Patching system) I am coming along nicely with the project and have been able to patch files succesfully with small compressed downloads and am finishing up the socket programming for the client and server.

I do realize that there is some risk to patching UO files since EA has the power to change the files at anytime which can effect the difference files generated, however if you are very concerned about that this will atleast only require you to do ONLY one full transfer and then patch that version from then on since you can guarentee what it contains.

This tool should be especially great for doing map changes to maps you create and revise over time.

I am just wondering if there is an interest in this type of tool in the community?

This is not only a good idea but a must if what your saying is true. For custom shards the cost of hosting and patching files adds to the server costs and for players with dial up. The shards a headache to patch to like you said.

So even if no one else says so, I'd say yes this is a must program for shards that patch. Specially now with the new anim patch thats about 111mbs and eats your paid bandwith up fast.

Tannis

Knight
This is a great idea! I was talking about the ridables patch with my boyfriend earlier (we run a shard) and I said, "Wouldn't it be great if there was a program that would just patch up what we changed, and not the entire file?" He thought it would be also. Then I see this thread. I would definitely definitely use this program. If you need testers, let me know.

*edit*

After reading a few other posts, wouldn't the MUO patching tool from the UO Gateway site be almost the same thing? For instance, if you made a patch to the anim files, it would be a .muo file. As the players were getting the patch, it would copy their already existing anim files, copy them to your shard's directory in their uog folder, and apply the changes. The only dowfall to this tool (as far as I know, without having played with it much yet) is that it doesn't work with Tiledata.

Didnt even notice the UOGTool, thanks for pointing that out...However, from what I have seen on some UO shards I am still downloading large files and I am not seeing the content that goes with it...The UOGTool is nice though on how it allows you to import specific animations.

The way my patcher program does patches it does not depend on specific UO files or any file format at all. Technically you could develop patches for any file type regardless.

This will be another option for hosters to distribute their patches and content...

Tannis

Knight
When you get done, I would definitely check yours out. There's very little documentation on the MUOTool, one little walk-through in fact, and I'm not sure the instructions are very good on. I tried messing with it all day yesterday and still have yet to get my patch working.

Status Update

I am working hard on the auto-patching system. Hopefully in another week or two I will have a decent beta release for people to test. The first beta release will most likely NOT implement a server list like UOGateway. I want to focus on the transfer and patching aspect of the program first before adding extra features like a server list.

Thanks for your interest

Chris The Avatar

Beta 1 of UOPatch to be released soon

I am shooting for Tuesday or Wednesday, July 19/20, for the BETA 1 release of a new patching system. I am finishing up some manuals for use with the software and some minor modifications.

Hopefully some of you who were interested in this a few weeks ago will help test out the first phase of the patching system.

I will have a website up and some more information available in a couple days. Stay Tuned!

Thanks For your Interest

Chris The Avatar

MarciXs

Sorceror
Does this auto patcher will patch existing files? I mean like OSI has , when they only update the data not redownload it?

thanks.

EDIT:

And yes i think that kind of tool would be useful and great.

Tannis

Knight
Whenever you get done with Beta 1, I'll be ready to test it. I STILL haven't been able to get MUOTool to work properly, although other people have, so I know it's nothing going wrong with the program. I just blame it on the lack of documentation.

Tannis

Knight
Hmm I don't think I got it :/ I've got the patch working because I got it from someone else, I just can't get my own to work for some idiotic reason. I honestly don't know what my problems are. I follow the directions on UO Gateway, make my patch, upload it to my host, wait about 10 minutes after UOG pings me, download the patches, and it's not there.

UOPatch website up

UOPatch website is up (www.uopatch.com). You can find out more about the software there under the about section. I should have the BETA 1 Downloads up by mdinight EST. Remeber to download and read the manuals! :)

Thanks

Chris The Avatar

kirax2

Wanderer
I've been looking forward to trying this out. I've been wanting a program that will patch the tiledata for a long time. ^_^ Two small problems, however. 1. The link in your previous post doesn't work because of an extranous ")" included on the end when clicked. Once the character was removed it worked fine. 2. Once at the site, I couldn't actually download the files. The links all just took me back to the same page.

Once you get the files up, I will be the first in line to try them out, though! ^_^

Thanks,
-Janice
aka kirax2

Greystar

Wanderer
kirax2 said:
I've been looking forward to trying this out. I've been wanting a program that will patch the tiledata for a long time. ^_^ Two small problems, however. 1. The link in your previous post doesn't work because of an extranous ")" included on the end when clicked. Once the character was removed it worked fine. 2. Once at the site, I couldn't actually download the files. The links all just took me back to the same page.

Once you get the files up, I will be the first in line to try them out, though! ^_^

Thanks,
-Janice
aka kirax2

It says Midnight Tonight the downloads should be available, although I didnt read that untill after I tried to click the links.

Tannis

Knight
A question. In order for my users to get the patches I make with your program, they would have to be using your UOPatch Client, right?