RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worldsave - Question

Cornell

Wanderer
Worldsave - Question

hi,

i have some questions about the world-save:

but at first the situation:

i am running (better would be: try to run) a little 1 person "server" for my personal leisure of playing UO

unfortunately i have a PIII 900 Mhz with ONLY 128MB SD-RAM and no money to buy more...
after i installed Neruns scriptpack ( btw: great work Nerun :D ) - my savetimes exploded...

well i know that there are x more spawners at my server now - spawning mobiles and items, but is there any possebility to fasten a server except of buying more ram or deleting spawners ?!?

i even started to change all the vendor-spawns from 2 to 1 person....

btw: i save "my world" every hour - does it make any sence to save it more often or more seldom in order to fasten the latency ?!?

and another thing - is it possible to freeze the world while saving - cause standing next to a deamon while saving is like §$&%§)/§, you know

if there would be some suggestions - please be precise... i dont know much about changing scripts or even script new ones :(

Alis

Wanderer
soon the next runuo will we released untill then you have to use your own ways of handling the tem even tough short save times bring time less on the saves because the time between the save times are short .. also another thing soon i will publish the new method but working on it will test it this week which actually saves the server but doesnt freeze the server so nothing in save time delay :)

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Making the interval shorter doesn't lessen the save time. It still saves the entire world every time. If this server is just for your personal use, I'd recommend saving once every two-three hours, and just saving when you shut down the shard.

Alis's save may fix your problem when she's done, though.

Cornell

Wanderer
another question about latency

thanks so far guys (and lady),

here another question:

does it increase the number of items on the server, if i increase the number of ore that can be mined from one spot ?!? (harvest/mining.cs)

in that way it may be one sort of problem that can be resolved easily by myself...

because it seems like the number has increased after i changed that script...

unfortunately i have no numbers of the "server-items" before the change took place...

any suggestions ?!?

MfG Cornell

Phantom

Knight
Cornell said:
thanks so far guys (and lady),

here another question:

does it increase the number of items on the server, if i increase the number of ore that can be mined from one spot ?!? (harvest/mining.cs)

in that way it may be one sort of problem that can be resolved easily by myself...

because it seems like the number has increased after i changed that script...

unfortunately i have no numbers of the "server-items" before the change took place...

any suggestions ?!?

MfG Cornell

Those are not Items till they are in your backpack.

Cornell

Wanderer
-.-

ok thanks phantom....

unfortunately i have some 200k items on my server - and i am sure that my ONE account (+admin account) doesn't have 200k items in the backpacks....

does anybody have some experiences about that ?!?

or are there X spawners in neruns files that spawn items ?!?

and another question btw:

i tried to decrease the number of mobiles by decreasing the number of vendors - so i changed their number in the megaspawner menue to one (usually 2) and updated every spawner ( boring work with a slow computer like mine...) --> but --> after respawning all spawners, there were two vendors again

any suggestions about that problem ?!? plz help me

MfG Cornell

stormwolff

Knight
Cornell said:
unfortunately i have some 200k items on my server - and i am sure that my ONE account (+admin account) doesn't have 200k items in the backpacks....

does anybody have some experiences about that ?!?

or are there X spawners in neruns files that spawn items ?!?

Every spawner is an item. Everything on an npc is an item.

You might be better off spawning the world yourself so you can limit where they go. You may also want to consider only spawning one or two facets.

Quantos

Lord
If there are any maps that you simply don't go to or use then you can reduce the item count by wiping those facets. This will not remove anything that is on the map but will remove decorations, doors, signs, mobs, and spawners. Use the [clearfacet command on the facet that you wish to wipe.

Nyght

Wanderer
My situation is similar to yours player wise except I have a lot more memory, but I think these things would still apply:

Be sure smartPRS is enabled. This despawns things where there is no player activity. A fully spawned neruns with little to no player activity produces about 4.5k mobiles and 80 to 90k items. Look at your information screen and see how many you have.

You can use the neruns editor to remove individual spawn maps. Why not pull it up and look at the list and decide what you don't really need. And then remove those spawner groups. They are very easy to put back if you change your mind.

Once things are settled down, my world saves are under 2 seconds.

You didn't mention your operating system, but really 128 megs is going to leave very little room above the operating system and in all likelyhood, you will always be using some amount of vitual memory, and that I believe, is what will slow it down substantially. Be sure to clean out all those uneccessary application running in your task bar too.

Alis

Wanderer
Well as i told you guys i dont really dont play allot uo but something in mind if youve got a depleted memory and you have long save time which is actually caused from each item account which we determine object theroy the universe of all items acount etc..The save method which the existing runuo uses is actually evrey object on the world again and again.

Even thuogh it saves the objects that isnt be used because of this when new things is created it also saves them to; now hte point where I am bringing to is that the only way permanantly to fasten you shard very much is that to modify the save method.

We actually figured out to change in to a highly effiecemtly usable new save method which only saves the thnigs in the world that has been only changed.Like for instance ;

In the old save method there is a house located at (1567;425;0) what the save does is allways save the same things again again also + it save new created things.Instead of saving the things that are newly created and modifed why dont we save the modified stuff and the new created stuff so we analyzed the save method and got this.

In the new save method which is called delta save which means only saves the data on the world whcih only changes that occured .In another way this means that it only save the (any movement of any object)(any new created object)(any modified object) s
on it doesnt save all the world it only saves three things. Let me give theoretical results which will happen in the new save method.

Lets take UOHybird for instance like lets say if the Hybird was saveing in 100sec on it postion now it will save inthe new save method in 1 - 5 seconds you dont have to test something like this because its the objcet theory of all .cs .vb etc etc.

So please be patient on the new save method.

The other save method that we are discussing has some risks .The other save method has actually no saves so you dont wait during saveing if your interested about the project and want to see further ino take a look at the modification request thread.

The core edition of the save method will soon be realesed after all further disscusions.

Quantos

Lord
Actually being somewhat of a newbie to the way that RunUO actually works I would not recommend playing around with other methods of saving. I would recommend sticking with the default method until your level of proficiency increases. As I suggested earlier I would simply reduce the items in the world by wiping the facets that you don't use.

Sometimes the simplest method is still the best method. It's always nice to be able to have your cake and eat it too, but there are times where that is just not possible.

Alis

Wanderer
Well quantos ofcourse for new starters im not telling to modify there core :) its just a project about save

Quantos

Lord
Alis said:
Well quantos ofcourse for new starters im not telling to modify there core :) its just a project about save

Oh I realize that fully, it's very evident that you are suggesting no such thing. I am just recommending that he stick with the easiest, and probably the most stable option. With the hardware that he has available I firmly believe that he is better just reducing the item an mob count in his world.

Alis

Wanderer
Quantos said:
Oh I realize that fully, it's very evident that you are suggesting no such thing. I am just recommending that he stick with the easiest, and probably the most stable option. With the hardware that he has available I firmly believe that he is better just reducing the item an mob count in his world.

Ofcourse you correct sticking to the default style is more handy for him creating his options with his own hand *thinks* *why can i * *cries uhuhuhuh*:p

tindo

Sorceror
Personally, if your playing a one person server, meaning you dont even need to be on the internet to run it, I would only do a save before I shut down the server. Why have periodic saves unless you are worried about crashes? Just turn them off and [save before you close your server. Unless I'm missing something? I'm just a newbie, but it seems unnecessary to me to save often on a single person server.

Quantos

Lord
Yes, you would just have to remember to save and shutdown the game using your administrator account through the [admin control panel. I would still advise having a save time of at least two hours or so, just so that if you goof and shut down the console directly then you haven't lost an entire days play progress.

tindo

Sorceror
Oh good point! I forgot you have to be on the admin character to do the save...Hehe, I would certainly mess that one up...

Oh, and is that Avatar really you? You look like Woody Harrelson(sp).....:)

Quantos

Lord
It's a fairly old pic, I haven't had a new picture of myself that's worth showing anyone in the last 12 years.

Marlberg

Wanderer
World Save and Sive Files

The shard that I play on is having some difficulties with long saves.

Here is some background data on the scenario.

130+ Accounts 87 Active accounts
1.1 mil items and 100k mobiles on shard
2.2ghz AMD 4000+ with 1GB RAM(hopefully going to 2GB here very soon)

running nerun distro

up until about 2 weeks ago everything was running very smoothly save times in the 5-10 sec range. Server crashed came back and crashed again very quickly in succession. this happened during a WorldSave. Admin reported that the Save folder was missing. Recent Backup (God Bless the pessimist for he hath made backups!:D ) loaded but now saves take long time 300sec range or longer and most of this save time is due to the fact that the server cant seem to find the save file path? any Ideas whats going on any similar problems like this experienced by anyone?

Alis

Wanderer
delete the mobiles that are not used delete their spawners.. and look how much the system is using ram ... that might be a problem ..