RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A.D.D. Uncovered

Rosetta

Wanderer
There is more to ADD than simply not being able to pay attention. This guy seems to have forgotten all the symptoms.

Radwen

Wanderer
Wether tis just people with a undeveloped part in the brain or really a disease ... in the end the means to fight it are the same. Theres not need to start taking pills for everything :-\.

A very large portion of ADHD diagnosed people don't really have ADHD and the medication isn't doing them any good. A very large portion of people NOT diagnosed with ADHD definitely have it and aren't being treated for it. It's quite possible the most backwards diagnosed disorder in the world, but it definitely is real. Trust me, I live with it, and mine is very severe.

Johabius

Knight
Try living with a child or other human being with ADHD for a 24 hour span of time. If the person is medicated, have them not take their meds. After 24 hours, try to tell yourself that ADHD doesn't exist.:rolleyes:

Rosetta

Wanderer
Radwen;762631 said:
Wether tis just people with a undeveloped part in the brain or really a disease ... in the end the means to fight it are the same. Theres not need to start taking pills for everything :-\.

So it's an excuse to take a drug?
That is the view point you seem to be putting across.
If so, have you really seen this disease/disorder up close? Has it affected anyone you know?

-----------------
There is a very distinct difference between ADD and ADHD:
(comical, but to the point)

---------------

Facts on the disorder <- link for those that don't know

crackrat

Wanderer
Johabius;762636 said:
Try living with a child or other human being with ADHD for a 24 hour span of time. If the person is medicated, have them not take their meds. After 24 hours, try to tell yourself that ADHD doesn't exist.:rolleyes:

try living with a child misdiagnosed as having ADHD, drugged to the point of seeing 'purple zombies' , and watching him go from being "gifted" to mush in a matter of 10 years . that kid kicked himself off of his cocktail and is now living decently as an adult, however he doesn't remember a whole lot of his childhood.

Radwen

Wanderer
Rosetta;762639 said:
That is the view point you seem to be putting across.
If so, have you really seen this disease/disorder up close? Has it affected anyone you know?
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

But then again I'm a nut case who thinks anti-depressants are the wrong way to fight depression. I also think that even though alcoholism can be a disease, its no reason to fail at fighting it.
Yep.. the type of moron that believes we should put more energy to fight these illnesses through conscious effort rather than relying on pills to change the chemical balance (or imbalance) of our brain.

Anyways, I sure hope you like seeing people being used as live experiments.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Radwen;762657 said:
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

But then again I'm a nut case who thinks anti-depressants are the wrong way to fight depression. I also think that even though alcoholism can be a disease, its no reason to fail at fighting it.
Yep.. the type of moron that believes we should put more energy to fight these illnesses through conscious effort rather than relying on pills to change the chemical balance (or imbalance) of our brain.

It's usually a combination...therapy, medication, and self awareness not just one treatment. And most of the energy we put to "fighting" an illness of anything doing with the brain is chemical. So a chemical is likely to be the first solution people would look to.

I won't say that there have not been some major fuck ups. But overall I don't know if there is really another direction to go with this kind of thing besides chemical.

And since my very survival depends on insulin medication I don't have a real fear of the "experiments" that happen.

try living with a child misdiagnosed as having ADHD, drugged to the point of seeing 'purple zombies' , and watching him go from being "gifted" to mush in a matter of 10 years . that kid kicked himself off of his cocktail and is now living decently as an adult, however he doesn't remember a whole lot of his childhood.

This is the fault of the one who gave the diagnoses. The kid obviously was given the wrong treatment. It doesn't mean for those that are properly diagnosed it will not help.

I will say this though, I don't think Ritlin should be out on the market. Any more then phen phen, vioxx, or any other assortment of drugs that were not properly tested. Be wary of any "new" drug. But some of the long time tested ones are well worth it. Including antidepressants - most of which just help you produce naturally occurring chemicals that one may be short on.

There is abuse of the chemical technology and there is a use. It should not be a silver bullet to the problem. But lets not be throwing out the baby with the bathwater here.

crackrat

Wanderer
More of an excuse to sell new untested drugs , and to test these drugs on the masses. what other excuse could there be if less than 1% of the population actually has clinically diagnosed ADHD and yet in the county i live in 34% of all school age children are being treated for this.

have you really seen this disease/disorder up close? Has it affected anyone you know?
I've seen both proper and improper diagnosis of this, the improper diagnosis had my son hallucinating heavily throughout most of his preteen and teen age years. mind you no PET scan was ever given to him or his brother even though both were diagnosed as such by school psychologist(which was enough to get the cocktail he was on) . It took him about 3 years to total shake the cocktail they had him on after he had had educated himself on the issue and had had enough. Unfortunately they didn't look at the sole custodial parent who has later been found to be unfit as a parent as well as certifiably insane. state and counties wisdom cost me several years of my life and a large sum of money to finally prove to them these things as nobody would listen without a lawyer shoved up their arse.

The proper diagnosis was with a good friend of mines kid who did have clinically defined ADHD and was treated by an exercise program and proper diet. Good thing he was in england and that they treat things somat differently. this kid has since out grown alot of his issue and is living quite decently. Wonder how he would be here in the U.S. where any excuse to be on one of "mothers little helpers" seems to not only be popular but in vogue.

-----------------
There is a very distinct difference between ADD and ADHD:
(comical, but to the point)

In poor taste, TBH

crackrat

Wanderer
trouble is rose that all it took was one signature and one unfit parent wishing to appease the person who signed. mind you in the ten years the kid was pumped full of the crap including most of the drugs that you have mentioned never was there a decent evaluation. pre school - 3rd grade kid was considered gifted by school teachers and staff, by 16 the kid was a mass of twitching flesh that didnt know the planet he was on. while i forget all the different combos he had been on ( the x kept that a mystery)the last cocktail he was on was ritlin, rispanol to counter act the ritlin ,and lithium to make the other two drugs work better......

the major way of curing in other countries seem to deal with diet changes.things like fruits and veggies with natural red coloring are one such no no.
England's also had a lot of success with some thing known as daily exercise.
There are natural drugs that are being ignored but have shown a lot of promise. one such drug is pot used in small doses and ingested. mind you in this country we have persecuted parents for using mary jane as treatment even with a doctors backing.

Seven

Sorceror
I was diagnosed with A.D.H.D. and prescribed 15 mg of Adderall XR.
Adderall is often called "kiddie coke" or "cheap mans coke"

Radwen

Wanderer
May I be diagnosed with ADHD?

All I have to do is go to any doctor and talk about what goes on in my head and I'll probably have a surreal amount of pills to choose from.

Rosetta

Wanderer
crackrat;762664 said:
trouble is rose that all it took was one signature and one unfit parent wishing to appease the person who signed. mind you in the ten years the kid was pumped full of the crap including most of the drugs that you have mentioned never was there a decent evaluation. pre school - 3rd grade kid was considered gifted by school teachers and staff, by 16 the kid was a mass of twitching flesh that didnt know the planet he was on. while i forget all the different combos he had been on ( the x kept that a mystery)the last cocktail he was on was ritlin, rispanol to counter act the ritlin ,and lithium to make the other two drugs work better......

the major way of curing in other countries seem to deal with diet changes.things like fruits and veggies with natural red coloring are one such no no.
There are natural drugs that are being ignored but have shown a lot of promise. one such drug is pot used in small doses and ingested. mind you in this country we have persecuted parents for using mary jane as treatment even with a doctors backing.

What happened to your child is simply not right. I will not deny that.
But I will not say that it is all bad for every person either. Sometimes it does actually help people.

As far as the comic I added, it makes the distinction clear even though crude.

Seven

Sorceror
crackrat;762664 said:

I was on ritalin when I was younger, then was switched to Adderall. I'm still on Adderall and I'm also prescribed Fluoxetine (20MG) to counteract the depression that is a side effect from Adderall. o.0
I don't have to take anything else, but I find that "Mary Jane" calms me down better than Adderall.

also on a side note... I installed Windows XP again. :< EPIC FAIL. I thought I would never install it again.

oiii88

Sorceror
Radwen;762657 said:
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Anti Depresent normally attempt to alter and level the chemical imbalance which causes the problem. So not to take them in a lot of cases is just wrong . I have dealt with mixed mania bi polar for over 11 years and I can tell you with out my meds I am a very difficult person to be around. As I would assume a child or adult who lives with A.D.D, A.D.H.D, OR B.D.D are. Yes I agree we don't need meds for everything but when the body can not correct a imbalance sometimes we have to allow man to place a fix for it.

The scary thing is a lot of the medicines they are pushing are meant for more serious health issues. A lot of anti Depresent meds are medicines given to seizure patients to control brain stimulations. These unethical "doctors" have made lab rats out of the youth of the 80's and 90's by pushing every type of pill they can think of down a kids throat ...

Vorspire

Knight
Skipped to the reply without reading the posts..

I had ADD when I was younger, it was caused by my supposed "under-active thyroid gland

I was prescribed ritalin for 2 and a half years to help me "concentrate" at school, sometimes it really did work, it gave me interest in boring things, gave me the inspiration to finish my work, made everything seem interesting enough... Sometimes it didn't work, did completely the opposite, made me tired and bored, restless etc...

I have since grown out of
my ADD problem since then, this may shock you, but it was NOT Ritalin that "cured" me, it was Cannabis. When I smoked pure strains of cannabis, it effected me with far more impact than Ritalin ever did, keeping me calm and at the same time, giving me the unique ability to learn more efficiently, do more things, be nicer to people and understand my social situations better (when you have ADD, you just don't 'pay attention' to these things).

To this day, i still have problems with my underactive thyroid gland, which is causing my metabolism to be extremely high, meaning i can eat anything and everything without gaining weight (i'm 9.5st dunno that in LBS), smoking cannabis also helps me get round this problem, because it helps me eat enough to effectively keep myself in existance, otherwise my body would probably eat me away, i have to force more into it to get just a little out of it...

I still smoke cannabis today, it gives me greater ability to understand new things and i feel that i cannot actually code or write scripts without first having a small join.

Don't get me wrong, i do NOT condone cannabis use, but i beleive it should be available more freely to those who benefit from it, like i have. - I cannot PROVE that cannabis was the thing that really helped me out, but it has definately not made a negative impact on my life. I am not 'stoned' while writing this post, i do smoke in moderation.

Please do not blast at me for admitting this, it is something that i'd usually not share, but since this topic demands discussion, i think my first-hand experience is worth the input.

4RK3TYP3

Wanderer
crackrat;762664 said:

hmmm, Lithium has actually been known to destroy the thyroid leading to symptoms of bipolar...

But I completely agree that Diet has alot to do with it. In fact, if you read into what the guy was saying, ADD is essentially a diabetes in the brain (not really, but a way to describe it) where the brain isn't processing incoming glucose very well.

Studies I've conducted (actually won an award in my school for it) included taking people off of High Fructose Corn Syrup and measuring their overall performance in various aspects of their life (not just a single test) what this showed me was that in the absence of excess sugars that are unnecessary in most foods students performed up to 30% better.

Now all I really proved was that a food intolerance to high fructose corn syrup caused symptoms of ADD because those who were actually ADD/ADHD showed no improvement, either because they didn't do what I had originally asked for their diet or because their ADD was much more chemical than the others. The kids who were ADD but then when given a diet continued to show symptoms of it were then put on a regiment of Fish Oil ($5 per bottle...not bad for 4 people) equalling approximately 3600mg (or 3 pills of the 1200mg concentration) per day leading to a total intake of 1080mg of Omega-3 fatty acids. They began to show even better grades and overall attentiveness (grades were a physical manifestation where attentiveness was provided through a verbal interview of teacher and student).

Over the years I've been playing with various herbal and vitamin supplements with people that have ADD/ADHD (namely my 3 brothers), but I found what works the best is a combination of 4800mg of fish oil and 600mg of phosphatidyl serine (both can be found at GNC for relatively cheap...cheaper than the medication that doesn't do shit). Since I have started these studies, 2 of my brothers graduated high school with 3.4+ GPA where before their average was 1.2+. One of my brothers is still ADHD and quite hyper but he's still in an active stage in his life so diet modifications and fish oil seem to do it's job respectively (he does...ok in school).

Even if you're not ADD/ADHD Fish oil and phosphatidyl serine are a very good thing, it'll increase mental clarity, cardio-vascular health and mental agility. I recommend them to anyone and everyone along with a complex of B vitamins including RiboFlavin (to process those nasty carbs).

Fish Oil 4800mg/day
Phosphatidyl Serine 600mg/day
B-Complex (b2,b6,b12, thiamine,niacin, folic acid) 150mg/day <--comes in one bottle (Big 150 at GNC)

Not only do these work for ADD, but they work for anxiety disorders, depression, and increase overall brain capacity and power. I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia and Social Anxiety Disorder, taking 6 pills of fishoil then the normal amount of the rest actually has stopped my "escape from reality" and what could be perceived as "hallucinations" so I can tell you that it works for that as well.;)

**main point: The guy who wrote the article seemed more concerned that our method of testing was bogus.