RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A shard about post-apocalyptic times.

Kingllama

Knight
A shard about post-apocalyptic times.

Think of a uo shard with a post-apocalyptic element.
Where people who play do missions to rebuild britain and all the major cities as a quest.
Buildings would be destroyed or on fire or collapsing.
Monsters and animals would run freely.
Npc bodies lay everywhere.
There would be camps in the forest that have bankers and new cities being built.
Resources are scarce it would take a long time to mine iron or find good trees.
Magic items are the most rarest things in the servers. Would be like a mad max thing but with medieval elements and wizardry.
Full spellbooks would be worth 1000's of gold.
NO ethereal mounts.
Just real horse or horses diseased with the plague that wiped out most of the uo world and caused the chaos which turned most cities in ruins.

Would anyone play it?

Soteric

Knight
That should be interesting but not that easy to be done. Usualy projects that starts with writing about them on forum (and not with writing the code) comes to nowhere. Just IMHO

It was something with Ultima Online and Fallout (link) --> Ultima Online Development
Russian project Wastelands that wasn't finished. Unfortunately their site was closed with the project and those 4 screenshots is all we can see now. But the idea was awesome :)

Kingllama

Knight
Soteric;807238 said:
That should be interesting but not that easy to be done. Usualy projects that starts with writing about them on forum (and not with writing the code) comes to nowhere. Just IMHO

It was something with Ultima Online and Fallout (link) --> Ultima Online Development
Russian project Wastelands that wasn't finished. Unfortunately their site was closed with the project and those 4 screenshots is all we can see now. But the idea was awesome :)

Well it sounds easy with just editing the scripts.
I'm not adding customs.
I'm just adding some deco and some spawns and taking away aos.
There would be instah hit and explode bonus.
Maybe a npc redone and stuff.

Quantos

Lord
Kingllama;807226 said:
Buildings would be destroyed or on fire or collapsing.
Npc bodies lay everywhere.
There would be camps in the forest that have bankers and new cities being built.
Resources are scarce it would take a long time to mine iron or find good trees.
Magic items are the most rarest things in the servers. Would be like a mad max thing but with medieval elements and wizardry.
Full spellbooks would be worth 1000's of gold.
NO ethereal mounts.
Just real horse or horses diseased with the plague that wiped out most of the uo world and caused the chaos which turned most cities in ruins.

Would anyone play it?

With burning and collapsing buildings, assuming you want the danger associated, there would be major revisions. You would need the artwork and animations.

Why would you start off with a wicked idea, and then shrug it off as nothing but scripts.

I don't think that you know what is involved in running a simple shard. Let alone what you are describing.

Kingllama

Knight
Quantos;807250 said:
With burning and collapsing buildings, assuming you want the danger associated, there would be major revisions. You would need the artwork and animations.

Why would you start off with a wicked idea, and then shrug it off as nothing but scripts.

I don't think that you know what is involved in running a simple shard. Let alone what you are describing.

I do know what is needed.
But first simple stuff.
Which i'm still learning.
I just started not to long ago.
I've got spawners working so far.
Making new monsters fixing npcs at the moment.

Quantos

Lord
Kingllama;807248 said:
Well it sounds easy with just editing the scripts.
I'm not adding customs.
I'm just adding some deco and some spawns and taking away aos.
There would be instah hit and explode bonus.
Maybe a npc redone and stuff.

Then don't make this statement.

Kingllama

Knight
Quantos;807258 said:
Then don't make this statement.

Alright. Don't get all aggressive about it though.
I know i'll have to do animations and do custom scripts if i want it to be one of a kind.
But thats something i'll learn while i do this hobbie.

Quantos

Lord
Good, just realize that it will take a lot of work. I don't want to discourage you, but I don't want you thinking that it's just a switch here and there either. Custom shards that are worth while are a boat load of hard work.

Kingllama

Knight
Quantos;807262 said:
Good, just realize that it will take a lot of work. I don't want to discourage you, but I don't want you thinking that it's just a switch here and there either. Custom shards that are worth while are a boat load of hard work.

I plan to spend many hours on this project.
I understand i use to be a gm and i remember the owner getting really really bored he use to just sit there and script for many hours on end.

Galdar

Sorceror
actually ... it's been done.

You can still get some of the custom weapons, armor and a few misc buildings tiles out there.

Vorspire

Knight
UO: Ground Zero would make a nice name for a project like this :D It sounds like it would be quite fun to play hehe.

Galdar

Sorceror
been done ... as in past tense... it died the death of "no sustained playerbase"

Was several years ago (died 2007 ish), forget the advertised name. It was based off of the Fallout series and imported graphics from fallout 2. It had land based vehicles using a modified boat scipt. It even had a crashed shuttle craft from the Enterprise of star trek with a quest fighting the landing party.

here is a screenie of some of the items .....
http://uo-graphics.uo-francophone.net/visualiser/Alambik/8994bfb733a0eaf1afb40c9ad1207cdb.jpg

various other items .....
http://uo-graphics.uo-francophone.net/visualiser/Alambik/06759bf32844b4b581d559c773428d70.gif

I think there is a few other things over at www.uo-pixel.de along the same lines.

ALSO... I think you'd get a little backlash on the "UO:Ground Zero" name. I'd stear clear of anything remotely NYC/911 sounding.

Jeff

Lord
Galdar;807383 said:
been done ... as in past tense... it died the death of "no sustained playerbase"

Was several years ago (died 2007 ish), forget the advertised name. It was based off of the Fallout series and imported graphics from fallout 2. It had land based vehicles using a modified boat scipt. It even had a crashed shuttle craft from the Enterprise of star trek with a quest fighting the landing party.

here is a screenie of some of the items .....
http://uo-graphics.uo-francophone.net/visualiser/Alambik/8994bfb733a0eaf1afb40c9ad1207cdb.jpg

various other items .....
http://uo-graphics.uo-francophone.net/visualiser/Alambik/06759bf32844b4b581d559c773428d70.gif

I think there is a few other things over at www.uo-pixel.de along the same lines.

ALSO... I think you'd get a little backlash on the "UO:Ground Zero" name. I'd stear clear of anything remotely NYC/911 sounding.

LOL its Fallout... sad that they had to rip another games graphics and use them illegally... sad...

Galdar

Sorceror
yes it is sad... but look how much Diablo ripp off stuff is out there in this community too. Theres whole sites dedicated to ripping graphics out an morphing to other formats. "Endor" is famous for doing that stuff.

Jeff the shard name wasn't "UO:Fallout" also was it? Somehow i was thinking it was something like "Apocoliptico" or something down that road.

Jeff

Lord
Galdar;807388 said:
yes it is sad... but look how much Diablo ripp off stuff is out there in this community too. Theres whole sites dedicated to ripping graphics out an morphing to other formats. "Endor" is famous for doing that stuff.

Jeff the shard name wasn't "UO:Fallout" also was it? Somehow i was thinking it was something like "Apocoliptico" or something down that road.

I have no clue what the name was, i just loved that the graphics were directly from Fallout.

Vorspire

Knight
Galdar;807383 said:

Well imo, just because the 9/11 catastrophy happened and some documentary was named "Ground Zero" about it doesn't mean that someone can't use it as a name for something else.

I didn't even think about relating to 9/11 until you mentioned it tbh. If using this as a name for something offends people, then they must be closed-minded people indeed.

But you may also be right and I may be missing the point here.

well in the UK 9/11 does not mean as much as it does here in the States, and most of the player base on english speaking shards is from US and a good amount also from CA

so yes it could hurt them being named that way

Kingllama

Knight
Lord_Greywolf;807411 said:
well in the UK 9/11 does not mean as much as it does here in the States, and most of the player base on english speaking shards is from US and a good amount also from CA

so yes it could hurt them being named that way

Apocalypse uo is the name so far.
But it's might renamed.
I've been working on spawners and editing the crafting and mining stuff.

Galdar

Sorceror
FOUND IT, "Future UO" was the name ...

It's still shown in the old listing on CUO Desktop too, dead link of course.