RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About the Phantom fiasco...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraxus

Sorceror
Whoa... :eek:

And I thought when I saw "Banned" under his name yesterday that it was just some kind of practical joke being played on him by the mods or dev team... the reality of it comes as a bit of a surprise.

To Phantom, if he's reading this..

Despite the way in which you came across the majority of the time, I for one understand your point of view and your methods, despite the fact that I didn't ascribe them to myself. There is, within me, a certain degree of cynicism that can only be obtained after many years of trying to help those with a much lesser degree of knowledge than one's self. (no I'm not talking about RunUO in my case, but I did do 9 years of end user ISP support.. and that will take a heavy toll on your level of patience)

Personally I always tried to look beyond the apparent tone of your posts, to the underlying nudge you always seemed to give in the correct direction. Most people always want a specific answer, however your responses forced people to try and learn how to do things for themselves, rather than having the answers force-fed to them each time they ran into a stumbling block.

I'll miss having you around here, although I do understand the reasoning behind banning you. My personal opinion certainly won't be the same as the multitude of "newbies" out there, and newbies are a necessity for any community to grow and prosper.

To Ryan and the other devs/mods..

That was a tough decision for you to have to make. I applaud you for making it, even if my own feelings regarding Phantom differ from those of the community at large. I guess I'm an anomaly in that way, but it doesn't mean that I begrudge any of you for choosing what was ultimately the best course of action.

To everyone else (especially Phantom haters)..

Always bear in mind that Phantom, despite the way he came across to everyone, was trying to be helpful in his own way. Will he ever win "Support Person of the Year"? Definitely not. But he knew his stuff, and he always tried to point people in the right direction while still trying to let them learn something in the process. Most were not satisfied with that, and wanted nothing less than the solution written out for them, which is exactly what Phantom would never do for anyone.

Personally, I learned more from Phantom than I have from any other contributor on these forums, despite his abrasive demeanor.

PvP_Heaven

Wanderer
Lol, you guys, I actually did think he was ok until after he got banned, before Ryan announced it, I AIM'd him saying what's up and sorry about getting banned from runuo. His response was "It's a 3 day ban, and don't message me again, ktks" Yea... Nice guy eh? tells me to buzz off when I'm being nice to him :/

omnininja

Sorceror
Did he ever use 'your' correctly? I mean, he says he's so much better than everyone, but he can't spell for crap.
Whatever. He sure knows how to code, though.

*Shocked*

Ok so Phantom is a rude kinda guy when he posts his replies to your scripts. Yes he could be a lil nicer or a lil more inforative with his answers, thats agreed by all probly even himself. But.... he has a method to his madness lol. If he simply gave you all the answers *fix this here, change that here to that or this, HERES THE CODE USE IT!!* are you really learning anything. Phantom trys to get you to actually attempt to help yourself before you ask for help from others. If he did give you all the answers basicallyt he support forums would get turned into a code request forum were you could simply say "I cant code this, give me code" and you would get it.

Anyways just a thought.

-Sithid

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Well...I never really got along super well with Phantom, but I def admit he knew what he was talking about...if he ever got around to explaining something. He was generally a "first responder", which is a good thing. So...I dunno. He was rude at times, but he also was one of the most knowledgeable members.

It's a gain and a loss I guess...

Vixen

Wanderer
To the RunUO team - "Thank you." I've been with the community for quite a while and the only time I was ever ashamed of that fact was after reading his blatantly rude posts to new users. I don't know how many times I have read posts and been tempted to post a response to apologize to the post owner for Phantom's words.
To all of you that think he was "such a great help" ... When you consider the amount of people that got so discouraged that they left the community or became afraid to post questions, his help did not outweigh the damage done.
You are going to have new people on any forum and regardless of how "stupid" the question may seem to you, it's obviously an issue for the poster and should be answered politely. It's just as easy to write a 2 sentence suggestion to look in a specific forum for an answer as it is to write a 2 sentence flame degrading the poster for not looking first.
If you don't have anything nice to say ... don't say anything!

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Phantom did help more than he put down. Because most of his help was tacked onto an insult. If you don't let people online get to you then he was a wealth of information.

georox

Wanderer
:confused: I dun like im.. but... this seems a bit harsh even for Phantom.. he isnt a BAD person.... he's just.. him..... ah well... *poofs off into corner*

MarciXs

Sorceror
Who is , was Phantom? Never heard of him , but thanks for annoucment its cool see something new at main news page :eek:

Thraxus

Sorceror
PvP_Heaven said:
Lol, you guys, I actually did think he was ok until after he got banned, before Ryan announced it, I AIM'd him saying what's up and sorry about getting banned from runuo. His response was "It's a 3 day ban, and don't message me again, ktks" Yea... Nice guy eh? tells me to buzz off when I'm being nice to him :/
Can you really blame him if he's in a bad mood today? I likely wouldn't feel like talking either..

Deimos

Page
Thankgod, er, ThankRyan rather
Sorry, but i've only been here a short time and everytime I see a post of his, I cringe and wonder why it stays up
Granted he knows what he's talking about and DOES help people, but he has an attitude problem which, ugh, really puts me off posting here.
I will admit I refrained from posting questions I wanted answering because of his responses.

Thraxus

Sorceror
If anyone is interested in what Phantom has to say about this, the following is from the forum on his website at www.seanchen.net

Phantom said:
I never thought I would be forced to leave RunUO, although I won't disagree with the fact it was time for me to leave. Over the last few months I lost my way and was blindly replying to users how ever I wanted. This showed alot of disrespect to my fellow users and Ryan and the rest of the RunUO Team.

I am here sitting in a computer lab looking at my time with RunUO. Why am I at a computer lab instead of my dorm room? Well because of my actions I destroyed my friendship with Ryan and I am sure other members of the RunUO Team. I am not sure what I should say to them, seems like I said I would change, I suppose an old dog can't learn new tricks. But if you can forgive me for my actions, and if you have it in your heart to still stay in contact that would be grand.

I have no idea what I will spend my time doing. I suppose I should concentrate on being a Computer Eng and get my college degree. I then should go out, and think of something that will change the world. I suppose only time will tell what is instore for this old dog.

Ryan if you could please talk to me that would be great. Would be nice to know if this website will stay up or not. I have spent alot of money to keep this domain up, and this forum license. So its really important to me, if my word means anything, you can trust me I won't come back to RunUO unless you ask me to.

I think I will be taking a break, I might find a new project, perhaps meet some new friends. I hope those friends that I have made stay in touch, I really don't want this to harm our friendship. Outkast you better keep playing World of Warcraft with me, now I don't have an excuse not to play.
I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by posting this. Phantom obviously wanted it read, since he posted it prominently on his own website. I'm sure if the admins or mods of this site consider it inappropriate for me to have posted it, it will be removed.

Lord-Xanthor

Wanderer
Just got back after moving to CA from NY. Its been like 8 months since I been here. Took me ages to remember my password, and since new cable company ment new email address and password find feature would only sent to my old, which Im fixing after this post lol. Anyways, being an ex moderator I can understand the decision. Im a bit suprised, the guy helped me in the past, though I never read many posts except for problems I was having. I also know different countries have different ways of expressing themselves. Anyways, it was a good decision from what I seen above.

Raynew43

Sorceror
Personally, I think it's about time something was done about Phantom. Considering the rules outlined in the page before getting into these forums, he should have been held accountable long time ago.
His kind of help I imagine kept a fair amount of the community from asking for help. Some people learn differently than others and the way he "helped" would be enough to turn away those just starting out. It certainly kept me from asking questions about this and that.
I'm fairly confidant enough to make minor changes but doing a new complete script, I guess I'm too dang old to learn this stuff.

Just as phantom has been released from runuo I was released from a shard i worked on and loved, I was released for the same reasons, i lost my way and started to be an ass to everyone, I however wasnt as nice and sincere about it as i read in phantoms little note. I wrote quite a few scripts for the shard that i worked on and now that I have been departed I am giving everyone the chance to access the scripts in modifications that I kept from here to keep that shard divine.

I am saddened by phantoms leaving although he was mostly a jerk to me he sure did have alot of good help and I learned alot.

Brazen

Wanderer
Having been here longer than most who posted above seem to have been...

This is the 3rd time he's been banned...... Be careful what you say, he may read it yet... and the guy holds grudges like an angry bear.

Myself, I almost never post questions, they just get flamed, and mostly by you-know-who... but I read and learn what I can, and take bits and pieces till something sort of works. *shrugs*

Necr0Potenc3

Sorceror
"I suppose I should concentrate on being a Computer Eng and get my college degree."

I thought phantom was 12 y/o dude. anyone here knows his age?

Status
Not open for further replies.