RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About the Phantom fiasco...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phantom is gone

Well I don`t know if you should ban him i think you should only suspend his account for a while, if you have already deleted his account you should put it allow his IP back in, well like in a few months or somthing, because he dose help us around alot, also i am new to here so i don`t know what he did so bad you would have to refresh me on that, but i do think everyone should have a second chance at somthing beaucse it wouldent be really fair.

Thraxus

Sorceror
Necr0Potenc3 said:
"I suppose I should concentrate on being a Computer Eng and get my college degree."

I thought phantom was 12 y/o dude. anyone here knows his age?
Its not hard to find out. He's always had his birthdate posted in his public profile here on the forum..

Birthday:
June 6, 1982
Biography:
Fulltime USF Student
Interests:
Programming
Student

habitat85

Wanderer
Wow never thought I'd see this happen and I cant express how glad I am.
Ive been here 2 years now and actually took 6 month or longer break from everything RunUO because of Phantom, everytime I check the forums to this day and read Phantoms posts I just want to beat his face in because of his bullsh*t answers he gives people. Theres been so many times when Ive been sitting here reading the forums and my gf next to me on her pc and I would say wow what an a$*hole and she would say "who? Phantom?" lol

Thanks Ryan this was well overdue.

I wont miss him one bit, or his bullsh*t answers and ego remarks.

Quantos

Lord
This thread is not open so that you can flame someone who can not defend himself. I will still enforce the rules. So clean it up.

sirens song

Wanderer
This is my Rude Comment for the year

It doesnt take David Copperfield to figure out that Phantom is a very literal person. Though I am sure the several of you that posted above with rude comments on how he treated you or others have your reasons, you really need to think about the situation a little harder. I have never seen Phantom dirrectly flame or in any other fashion degrade another person on these forums. So you posted a new thread asking if someone could write you a script and he posted the rules (or a link to). You were clearly in the wrong at that time. He was being very literal. Truth be told nearly everything he has said is the absolute truth to his knowledge. Nobody is perfect, and nobody knows everything.

There may be times when the information he wrote is incorrect, so what? If you created a post with a legitimate topic and this post contained your script. You explained what was going wrong and you do not know what is causing it. He would reply, its that simple. The only people I see complaining are people who post requests, or a script and ask how they do something??. How the .... are you going to ask how to do something if you have not even taken the first step to learn the basics?? Unless you know the basics of variables and at least know what the hell a method is, how is anyone supposed to help you? You just wait untill someone posts the dirrect answer and if they dont you bump your post or let it die. Thats sad.

It seems to me theres an unnoticed difference between 2 types of requests here. Those who blantently ask for something, or those who do not formally ask but expect the work to be done. It is obvious for the first type why it is not allowed. The second type goes on all day here. Someone asks a silly question like "How do I get SomeThing to do SomethingElse". Thats a vague question! Some nice folk here answers with "give it a try and well help you with code". So the first person simply posts their Distro Something.cs and then expects help?? What is that going to do?? If you cant figure out on your own from one of the 99999 thousand tutorials/guides/books what "using" refers to at the top of the script, then you shouldnt be asking questions at all.

I see these types of posts as the ignitors for threads and situations such as this one. So Phantom told you to learn c#? Its probably because you havnt even showed an attempt or will to try and learn it. Does that give you the right to make a comment about his rudeness? No. Its at that point Phantom becomes rude, Anyone else would in that situation too. I try to be nice and helpfull to most anyone, but when I see the threads asking for help on something so completely obvious that its impossible that they even tried, I simply ignore it. Otherwise when I tell them How/Why/What they need to do, they are just going to ask me "How do I do that", and Id rather not put myself in the situation to be tempted to make a rude comment. Attention to Detail! Damn...

You all should think on that, if you fall into one of those catagories, (and you most likely do if you are complaining about Phantom being rude to you). Then you have no right to be degrading him. Put that behind you and do something for yourselves for a change.

-Jamie N

Thraxus

Sorceror
This is what I think Phantom's perpetual message to the community was..

If you want to run a RunUO shard, you need to know how to use C#.
If you don't know how to use C# and you want to run a RunUO shard, you must learn how to use C#.
If you don't want to learn how to use C#, then you should give up on running a RunUO shard.

Personally I agree with that basic philosophy. My knowledge is likely only a small fraction of what Phantom knows, but I do always strive to learn something from every project I undertake, not just copy/paste someone else's work from a forum and and pretend I accomplished something.

Running a UO server isn't easy. I think many people expect it to be. And truth be told, if you want to use RunUO as it is out of the box, then it is pretty darn simple. Most people aren't going to be satisified with plain vanilla UO however, and that's where C# knowledge becomes an absolute necessity. You can't rely on the community for everything you'll ever need to do with your shard.

sirens song

Wanderer
I agree with that statement. If you want to run a shard, good. If you want to create things for your shard, thats great. If you ask for help, thats good too. If you do not want to do the work, Then stick with what you know, or make an effort.

Hands Of God

Sorceror
Wow

I to have not been here long but i have had help from phantom. So... i cant realy say anything bad but have was cocky the way he told ppl things and if there anything i have leaned in this lil trip of mine, it is that u must respect everone as an equal or u lose urself and them. i will miss phantom but in a diff light i am glad to see the rules are fallowed.

Spudz777

Sorceror
As a relative newbie to RunUO (a few months and a highly successful, if highly private, shard), I found Phantom to be blunt, mostly honest, and extremely knowledgable. Yeah, sometimes he'd jump down someone's throat for an innocent question, but I do have to admit that most of the time his goal was to get others thinking about what they were doing. Phantom probably taught me more about RunUO than anyone else on these boards, even though our paths rarely crossed.

Thraxus was completely correct about Phantom's philosophy, and I have to agree with both of them that you cannot run a quality shard without learning at least a little c#. Sirens song hit the nail on the head as well. Phantom mainly tried to get people to think for themselves. I think there was one time (and only once) when Phantom said something that was completely false to me in a post, and I believe that one time was the result of a misunderstanding.

Ryan & co., I respect your decision, and I understand how difficult it must have been to make. I hope there will still be some open line(s) of communication, and a possibility that Phantom may be welcomed back at some point.

Phantom, I'm sure you'll find a way to read this. We're not all against you. Even if we don't always agree with your methods, all of us benefited from you in some way or another. Good luck.

HellRazor

Knight
With all due respect, there have been many, many occasions where Phantom made unprovoked attacks, rude remarks, or insults that went far beyond just being blunt. I'm sure even he would admit that he had a tendency to get out of hand.

Having said that, his style was to expect people to try to work toward their own solutions as a teaching method, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's just his style and his way of teaching.

The only issue I have had with Phantom was the flaming and insults. He shouldn't be doing that to others, and others shouldn't be doing that to him. The forum rules don't allow it and no one, even Phantom, should be above the rules.

telekea

Wanderer
Ryan,

Good call, I know that had to be a hard decision and you have had a lot of patience. But it was a good decision. I personally was getting rather tired of him not supporting his own buggy scripts. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes and move on.

Tynsdale

Wanderer
I'm sure by this point everybody has pretty much said the same thing over and over again. I myself couldn't read past the second page but I like anyone here who has had an interaction with Phantom, has an opinion of Phantom.
I did infact learn alot from Phantom but mostly it was because I could invision his reply before my post so I worked and worked on scripts till they loaded as to avoid posting in the forums. I live in a very small town and this forum is all I have as a C# source of information so I do relly on information I can get from here very heavily. The information he did share was invaluable, but his replies, almost made it not worth it to ask. Like finding a nugget of gold at the price of a hand.
In time I learned to look past his blatent self superiority over those who didn't know what he knew and for those earnestly seeking some knowledge, those new people whos first impression was of Phantom, for that, this is a good thing.
I applaud this staff for setting a new standard. For weighing what he to offered against what he contributed in the form of posts and making the upright descision. That indeed is the hard choice.
I personally wouln't miss Phantom but not because of the things he said but because I didn't know him enough to miss him. All I can say is what I have experianced of him and there were more bad experiances than good ones. Most of the time when he was the only one to reply to my post, I wish he hadn't replied at all.
I don't know what he contributed to the RunUO engine but I am sure we all will unknowingly be appreciating it for as long as RunUO is available to the free public.
So long Phantom, I really hope you are successfull in all that you do and thanks for what you did contribute. We are all better scripters because of it.

stryder

Wanderer
Well reading some of the replies I see there are very mixed reviews about Phantom? Some saying he only told you about the forum rules, helped by making you think, gave alot to the runuo community, and that he was very knowledgable are some of the replies. I will be one of the many to join the fact I am glad he is gone and I would like to say he apparently DID NOT follow the forum rules (as he got banned), what good is making someone think if they dont know what or where they are looking for the answer? if you wanna help em out without doing all the work for them then at least point them in the right direction without making them feel stupid or belittling them, i looked at every post Phantom made and he never posted a script on runuo (he posted links to his website so he could have control over the updates< this is in his own words) and if he was so knowledgeable when someone asked a question then why did he answer only yes or no then some smart aleck remark always followed? Personally I applaud Ryan and the runuo team and I do know several admins who will be glad and start posting some script releases and asking/offering help. I have already sent this thread to 13 other admins who would not at all come on this site because of Phantom. And lastly I would like to remind everyone that Ryan is the man, this is his baby, he gave all of us shardowners this so we should support him and his decisions 100% because without him and his staff these posts, this emulator, and these forums wouldn't even be possible!

Atomic

Wanderer
sirens song said:
It doesnt take David Copperfield...

You are wrong about stating that only the whiners and requesters hated Phantom. I hated him too, and I will state the reasons:

-He thought he knew everything, that he was always right and would never admit he was wrong.
-He always said stuff could not be done, when it could and was done.
-He treated people badly with no motives at all.
-He said people was stupid and could not do whatever they wanted to script even not knowing them.
-He never followed the rules, and thought he would be always forgive because he helped make some stuff for the RunUO distro.

Why would the rules work for everyone but not him? Well now it worked for him also, and I thank that and I hope he will never come back again.

Kwwres10

Wanderer
Thank you Ryan. The days of the Hellish 5 word responses are over. Not to bash on Phantom but I truely did think he was a stain on the RUNUO name. Alot of the moderators, like Merlin acctually try thier best to help and treat the rules as a serious matter. All I saw Phantom do was give people sarcastic sneers as if they were infected with stupidity virus, then whine when everyone told him to get the hell out of the thread. Alot of us told him not to respond in our posts and thankfully, now we won't have to worry. I agree with your and the RUNUO team's decision and think it is for the best interest for well, everyone. Except the people in Phantom's Fan Club (why they are in it I don't know). Anyways, good choice. Good Luck with the rest of RUNUO and thanks to the rest of the moderators for their help.

P.S. GET THE NINJA/SAMURAI ABILITIES DONE! I AM TOO LAZY TO DO THEM! :p

Cheers,
Farmer Noxstyx

Status
Not open for further replies.