RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

an option on first start up for blank maps or stock ones

goofykid

Sorceror
an option on first start up for blank maps or stock ones

u could put in an option in the first start up befor it compiles the scripts so u can change it without start up maybe that u can choose to use blank maps to build off of and make your world completely custom or have it so u can use the stock maps i dont know if this will work this is my first shard and i have no exp in scripting or any thing but i thaught that might work it mgiht make it easy on begining world builders that want to build the world from scratch to do this without scripting

Tannis

Knight
You can build custom maps without editing many scripts. UOLandscaper, Dragon, WorldForge...those are just a few of the programs you can use to build your own map. To change other things about your world, such as items, monsters, the way different spells work, etc. would need changes to scripts. There's really no way around that.

goofykid

Sorceror
ok my error i hate english what can i say

Tannis said:
You can build custom maps without editing many scripts. UOLandscaper, Dragon, WorldForge...those are just a few of the programs you can use to build your own map. To change other things about your world, such as items, monsters, the way different spells work, etc. would need changes to scripts. There's really no way around that.
ok ill change how i said that to peeps who cant script one letter lol like me i want to be able to do that without doing any thing hard u see and i think alot of peeps might liek it i know me and alot of the peeps i know would

Courageous

Wanderer
If you can't script, even a little, I don't see how it's really possible for you to run a RunUO server successfully at all.

C//

A_Li_N

Knight
The idea you have has prety much nothing to do with scripts.
Maps are not created by scripts. They are a static entity that is controled by the client-side files. If the server has one map and the clients have another, the clients will still see what they have. But if they try to move over an area that the server sees as 'non-passable', they will rubberband back.

There is no option, nor could there be an option, in the scripts to do such a thing.

Tannis

Knight
goofykid said:
ok ill change how i said that to peeps who cant script one letter lol like me i want to be able to do that without doing any thing hard u see and i think alot of peeps might liek it i know me and alot of the peeps i know would
If you put your shard on hold for a little while, download the RunUO release, and look it over you would learn a lot. Start off with simple things like monsters and artifacts. If you've played on OSI or other shards, you know what a dragon is supposed to look like, and you know what properties are on the hat of the magi. Looking at simple things like that will get you started. You'll learn how to set the hue on something, or give a new monster fire breath. Read a few C# tutorials, and play with the RunUO scripts. See how things work out. You really will have a hard time running a shard without at least a basic knowledge of how C# works.

goofykid

Sorceror
ok one courages its possible 2 other guys i dont care if it is in scripts or not it was just a sugestion dont flame me over it ok but i have and i can change stuff but i cant do notihgn real big at all lol

Courageous

Wanderer
No one is flaming you. But you really should pay attention to what has been said very carefully. The regulars here will concientiously help you try things in scripting, but if you -- how to put this? -- "behave helplessly" here, I suspect that the RunUO forums won't be much fun for you.

C//

A_Li_N

Knight
goofykid said:
ok one courages its possible 2 other guys i dont care if it is in scripts or not it was just a sugestion dont flame me over it ok but i have and i can change stuff but i cant do notihgn real big at all lol
There was no flaming you. I told you what you needed to know.

chameleon

Wanderer
help

where do i put my custom maps and is there anything i need to change to make them work there all ready to go just need to know where to put them ?

Chinook

Wanderer
chameleon said:
where do i put my custom maps and is there anything i need to change to make them work there all ready to go just need to know where to put them ?

Depending on which map you changed, you'll need to replace your muls with yours in the UO client + patch them out to players.

Also concider this:
*You'll need to edit the regions
*You'll need to edit the treasure system
*You'll need to search out code that refers to facets and change to yours

This is just a small list, I've been reworking scripts for months for a custom map, its not as simple as dropping the maps in and your ready to go.

chameleon

Wanderer
Chinook said:
Depending on which map you changed, you'll need to replace your muls with yours in the UO client + patch them out to players.

Also concider this:
*You'll need to edit the regions
*You'll need to edit the treasure system
*You'll need to search out code that refers to facets and change to yours

#1 how do i patch my custom maps
#2 where do i find the file to edit regions,treasure system,and facts?

iam noob but learn really fast

Chinook

Wanderer
chameleon said:
#1 how do i patch my custom maps
#2 where do i find the file to edit regions,treasure system,and facts?

iam noob but learn really fast

#1 : Patching 101
- First copy/paste your 3 map mul files into your client that the server uses.
- Make a folder named Patch1 on your desktop and copy your map mul's to it.
- Now open the new folder you made and highlight all your mul files, then right click to receive options menu. Rar the files into Patch1.rar.
- You should now have a new file inside your folder named Patch1.rar
- Get a hosting site like www.streamload.com and upload your rar file, copy the shortcut to rar.
- Goto UOG web site and enter the shortcut to your file into the patch areas.
- Wait 30 mins and your patches should be working.

#2 : File Edit Locations
- regions.xml in RunUO1.0/Data folder, use open with notepad to edit.
- treasure.cfg in RunUO1.0/Data folder, use open with notepad to edit.
*The treasure locations are listed in that file, you'll still need to redue the cart map mul file in order to see your map, use google search for cartographyUO*
- The entire RunUO1.0/Scripts/Regions will have to be rescripted
- Look in RunUO1.0/Scripts/Misc for stray systems using old facet locations, like CharacterCreation.cs
- Also look threw the spells like recall and mark. RunUO1.0/Scripts/Spells folder.

Plus theres more, like I said its not as simple as many might think.

ETsCat

Sorceror
Same Problem,or just the old stuff

I have my custom maps, But the standard UO maps keep filtrating in.IE:Bounceback. What files do I DELEAT to get the uo to see only my fiiles.
I like RunUO but was using the older sphere untill it died.
Sorry about being like a blind newbee, but I'm dence as a rock monster..

Tannis

Knight
Do you mean like some of the OSI areas seep through to parts of your map, or are you seeing the whole OSI map and none of your own? Or are you seeing your map, but it seems like you're running into a wall and rubberbanding as you're running around on it? This might actually be a question for Server Support since this is the Modification Request forum.

ETsCat

Sorceror
I know I sound like a dumb Shit, But after open heart surgery you lose a few brain sells. I am trying to resetup my shard, and help you can give would be accepted. I know there were files I was deleating, but cant remember what they were.
I'm using amung others a map of Gor, and have all totle 45 maps to chose from. But I keep getting doors/and Decorations in place's where they dont belong. { IE OSI towns.}
My only other option is to stop trying, and to give up on UO..