RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banning smoking in movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banning smoking in movies

I've heard this on the news and such about Disney-branded movies "voluntarily"
agreed to ban smoking in there upcoming movies. There now trying to get all movies aimed towards the "teens" not to having any type of smoking at all in them.

What do you guys think about this? Yay? Nay?

Imo I don't mind either way. Seems to be another attempt at censorship to me. Don't think this will decrease the amount of teen smokers and what not by all means.

mordero

Knight
Anti-Basic;708233 said:
Retarded .

Agreed. As a guy pointed out yesterday on some show, are we going to pain fast food in movies because kids could go out and eat a Big Mac and get fat?

Its pointless, if the kid isnt smart enough to realize smoking is bad, let him smoke and realize years later as he is coughing to death that it was a stupid choice.

PerfectWing

Wanderer
I couldn't care less if they just up and decided tonight that they were going to eliminate smoking period. And thus begins a US-wide campaign that all companies such as Camel or Malboro are shut down.

I seriously don't understand why people start smoking in the first place. It's expensive, bad for you, disgusting to see (at least, to non-smokers), and they only excuse I've ever heard for people who do smoke is that it calms their nerves or some garbage. Then there's the propoghanda about 'looking cool', but I don't know if anyone really buys into it for that or other miscellanious reasons. It's not often someone will seriously admit to starting smoking just to get in edge-wise with a cool crowd. -_-;

Ok, I could care somewhat, that's an uncountable number of people suddenly unemployed and I don't doubt the economy in the US wouldn't notice some stress. Solution? I guess manufacture some type of inhalant that gives the same calming effect as smoking, slip ir into a straw type, badabing badaboom!

Anyways, I'm not trying to stir up some pro/anti-smoking debate. More of a outpouring of my feelings on the subject of smoking in general.

PerfectWing;708242 said:
I couldn't care less if they just up and decided tonight that they were going to eliminate smoking period. And thus begins a US-wide campaign that all companies such as Camel or Malboro are shut down.

I seriously don't understand why people start smoking in the first place. It's expensive, bad for you, disgusting to see (at least, to non-smokers), and they only excuse I've ever heard for people who do smoke is that it calms their nerves or some garbage. Then there's the propoghanda about 'looking cool', but I don't know if anyone really buys into it for that or other miscellanious reasons. It's not often someone will seriously admit to starting smoking just to get in edge-wise with a cool crowd. -_-;

Ok, I could care somewhat, that's an uncountable number of people suddenly unemployed and I don't doubt the economy in the US wouldn't notice some stress. Solution? I guess manufacture some type of inhalant that gives the same calming effect as smoking, slip ir into a straw type, badabing badaboom!

Anyways, I'm not trying to stir up some pro/anti-smoking debate. More of a outpouring of my feelings on the subject of smoking in general.
I couldn't care less if they just up and decided they were going to eliminate caffeine period. And thus begins a US-wide campaign that all companies such as Folgers and Coca-Cola are shut down.

I seriously don't understand why people drink caffeine in the first place. It's expensive, bad for you, disgusting to see (at least to other people), and the only excuse I've ever heard for people who do drink caffeine is that it helps wake them up in the morning or some such garbage. Then there's the whole propaganda about 'looking cool' and adult like, but I don't know if anyone really buys into it for that or other miscellaneous reasons. It's not often that someone will seriously admit to starting to drink coffee to get in edge wise with the cool crowd. -_-;

Ok, I could care somewhat, that's an accountable number of people suddenly unemployed and I doubt the economy in the US wouldn't notice some stress. Solution? I guess manufacture some other drug with the same effects and put it in liquid form, badabing, badaboom!

Anti-Basic;708246 said:
I couldn't care less if they just up and decided they were going to eliminate caffeine period. And thus begins a US-wide campaign that all companies such as Folgers and Coca-Cola are shut down.

I seriously don't understand why people drink caffeine in the first place. It's expensive, bad for you, disgusting to see (at least to other people), and the only excuse I've ever heard for people who do drink caffeine is that it helps wake them up in the morning or some such garbage. Then there's the whole propaganda about 'looking cool' and adult like, but I don't know if anyone really buys into it for that or other miscellaneous reasons. It's not often that someone will seriously admit to starting to drink coffee to get in edge wise with the cool crowd. -_-;

Ok, I could care somewhat, that's an accountable number of people suddenly unemployed and I doubt the economy in the US wouldn't notice some stress. Solution? I guess manufacture some other drug with the same effects and put it in liquid form, badabing, badaboom!

Rofl.

Sex me?

Rosetta

Wanderer
I admit I have only been to theaters in 4 states, but none of them let people smoke in the movie. Even the ones in California.

turtle

Sorceror
As an 11 year smoker,now non-smoker for 3 years,i would like to see all smoking in public places banned

Rosetta;708268 said:
I admit I have only been to theaters in 4 states, but none of them let people smoke in the movie. Even the ones in California.

turtle;708270 said:
As an 11 year smoker,now non-smoker for 3 years,i would like to see all smoking in public places banned

The above 2 people cannot or did not read the parent post.

mordero

Knight
Rosetta;708268 said:

This is meant for people smoking in the actual film, not the movie theaters.

turtle;708270 said:

See above.

Anti-Basic;708272 said:
The above 2 people cannot or did not read the parent post.

People can be lazy sometimes

Rosetta

Wanderer
You're all right I didn't bother to read this that clearly.
Shit happens.

*Note to self* Don't post right after I wake up and before my morning tea.

siran

Sorceror
*steps up on the libertarian soapbox*
One small step for society,
One giant leap for nannydom.

That way lies the death sentence for picking your nose in public.

(Lifetime non-smoker; believer in people having the freedom to do whatever they want, whether it's snorting onions or stuffing their ears with peanut butter.)

WarAngel

Wanderer
siran;708322 said:
*steps up on the libertarian soapbox*
One small step for society,
One giant leap for nannydom.

Hardly.

For one, it's a company making a conscious choice about its surroundings. If it finds that a majority of its customers or stockholders are petitioning to have smoking banned from its movies/advertisements/whatever, that is their decision.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with "nannydom". Encouraging people, especially teens, to make healthy choices for themselves has nothing to do with being a nanny. It's called concern and promotion of health. There's been no question of government getting involved and forcing all scenes with smoking to be banned (though I have heard that the MPAA has been looking at raising movie ratings for movies with smoking).

That way lies the death sentence for picking your nose in public.

Again, hardly. Smoking can be a fatal activity that causes serious health problems to not only the smoker but the person around them. Picking your nose is silly, but not life-threatening. Thus, unrelated. Let's not make this out to be a "give me freedom or give me death" issue; it's really not. :p

(Lifetime non-smoker; believer in people having the freedom to do whatever they want, whether it's snorting onions or stuffing their ears with peanut butter.)

That's not really a libertarian viewpoint. If the information is correct and it does cause a lot of health problems for other people around the smoker, a libertarian would support limiting or banning smoking in places where there are other people: your freedom to make health decisions for yourself ends where it intrudes upon my freedom to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.