RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banning smoking in movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
WarAngel;708330 said:
That's not really a libertarian viewpoint. If the information is correct and it does cause a lot of health problems for other people around the smoker, a libertarian would support limiting or banning smoking in places where there are other people. Your freedom to make health decisions for yourself ends where it intrudes upon mine.
Yeah, thats really my only problem with smoking, is the secondhandness. I think they should limit the places where people can smoke. (some states are already doing this) This Includes 'moving' places like buses and trains. And to be an in-home babysitter, you shouldn't be able to (but you only have to apply for a license to do that if its over a certain amount of kids So that one is kinda tough)

I'm still not for this censoring of it in films though. There's a lot of things people shouldn't do depicted in movies already, smoking is very mild in comparison to most of them. And its not like kids these days aren't beat down with anti smoking ads and talks in schools and stuff nowadays.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;708333 said:
Yeah, thats really my only problem with smoking, is the secondhandness. I think they should limit the places where people can smoke. (some states are already doing this) This Includes 'moving' places like buses and trains. And to be an in-home babysitter, you shouldn't be able to (but you only have to apply for a license to do that if its over a certain amount of kids So that one is kinda tough)

I'm still not for this censoring of it in films though. There's a lot of things people shouldn't do depicted in movies already, smoking is very mild in comparison to most of them. And its not like kids these days aren't beat down with anti smoking ads and talks in schools and stuff nowadays.

Oh, I agree. I am in love with Superbad, so I can't say I'd want to see anything like that censored. I just don't see how it's censorship if the producer is the one limiting material in the production. Censorship seems to come off as a limitation set in place on one person/organization by the government or another higher institution like that, at least in the way we use it these days. My point is really that if a company or organization has made their own decision to do it, it's not something I'm going to fight. If the FCC or some such agency forces them to do it, then I may have a problem with it.

WarAngel;708337 said:
Oh, I agree. I am in love with Superbad, so I can't say I'd want to see anything like that censored. I just don't see how it's censorship if the producer is the one limiting material in the production. Censorship seems to come off as a limitation set in place on one person/organization by the government or another higher institution like that, at least in the way we use it these days. My point is really that if a company or organization has made their own decision to do it, it's not something I'm going to fight. If the FCC or some such agency forces them to do it, then I may have a problem with it.
It's still censorship (actually most censorship is done voluntarily by the producers and/or TV network, with the exception of the ones who purposefully try to push the boundaries, ie Family Guy) It's just not government censorship.

Now it says They (Disney) is only applying this concept to kids movies and teen movies. Now I can see little kids movies. But teens is where it gets tricky... You have to realize that in some movies smoking really adds to the charcter's persona, a lot of times in the mid teen to young adult bracket (14 to 25 or so) I can think of many movies that would not be nearly as good if the charcter(s) hadn't smoked. A prime example of this would be Foxfire. The examples of rebellion and independance wouldn't have been as loud had the characters not smoked and drank. So, for some movies, it would be a real loss.

(If you havent watched it, look up a description, I might write one later)

EDIT: Too lazy: Foxfire & - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A_Li_N

Knight
Anti-Basic;708333 said:
I'm still not for this censoring of it in films though.
It's Disney...kids shouldn't go watch a kids movie that includes things like smoking. As for other films...ones geared towards people that can make those sort of decisions, who cares. Let them make their own decisions.

A_Li_N;708340 said:
It's Disney...kids shouldn't go watch a kids movie that includes things like smoking. As for other films...ones geared towards people that can make those sort of decisions, who cares. Let them make their own decisions.
My Last post said:
Now it says They (Disney) is only applying this concept to kids movies and teen movies. Now I can see little kids movies. But teens is where it gets tricky... You have to realize that in some movies smoking really adds to the charcter's persona, a lot of times in the mid teen to young adult bracket (14 to 25 or so) I can think of many movies that would not be nearly as good if the charcter(s) hadn't smoked. A prime example of this would be Foxfire. The examples of rebellion and independance wouldn't have been as loud had the characters not smoked and drank. So, for some movies, it would be a real loss.

And actually looking at the original post, he said specifically 'teens' and not children. so...

WarAngel;708343 said:
There are plenty of rebellious non-lethal things that kids/teens/adults/elderly can do in movies.
Yeah but they wouldnt be as symbolic in most cases. And yes, I realize that this is probably pertaining to a select few group of movies, but trust me for those few movies, it really makes the difference.

You also have to remember that smoking is something that most teenagers have done or tried. While thats not a good thing per se, Doing stupid things and learning from them is part of growing up. In a coming of age film (like Foxfire), which is specifically targeted at the 'teen' demographic, to not include it at all would be sorta dishonest.

Anti-Basic;708341 said:
And actually looking at the original post, he said specifically 'teens' and not children. so...

Well the "Disney-branded movies" part would be targeted towards children imo considering most of there movies are G - PG, in that case they shouldn't even add that stuff. I doubt though they were trying to get 7 year olds to smoke lol.

Other film company's though are trying to be talked into what Disney is doing now by not having any type of smoking in there movies at all that are targeted in I guess you can say "younger" viewers that are easily influenced and such.

Again though, people will do w/e, and if not influenced by fellow peers, or parents to not smoke, or if they haven't grew up around the stuff (non-smoking parents example), the lesser chance they will pick up the habit.

DuckyInMyTrucky;708346 said:
Well the "Disney-branded movies" part would be targeted towards children imo considering most of there movies are G - PG, in that case they shouldn't even add that stuff. I doubt though they were trying to get 7 year olds to smoke lol.

Other film company's though are trying to be talked into what Disney is doing now by not having any type of smoking in there movies at all that are targeted in I guess you can say "younger" viewers that are easily influenced and such.

Again though, people will do w/e, and if not influenced by fellow peers, or parents to not smoke, or if they haven't grew up around the stuff (non-smoking parents example), the lesser chance they will pick up the habit.
Dinsey is a huge movie company that does movies for all age groups. They (along with Miramax) did Dogma, It's not just a kids movie company any more.

And I've never seen smoking in any of their younger aged movies (though admittedly I havent seen many)

Anti-Basic;708347 said:
Dinsey is a huge movie company that does movies for all age groups. They (along with Miramax) did Dogma, It's not just a kids movie company any more.

And I've never seen smoking in any of their younger aged movies (though admittedly I havent seen many)

I don't know much about Disney movies. Only know a handful tbh and there rating range would be considered PGish. I haven't seen smoking in any of them myself and I guess there keeping it that way now.

DuckyInMyTrucky;708348 said:
I don't know much about Disney movies. Only know a handful tbh and there rating range would be considered PGish. I haven't seen smoking in any of them myself and I guess there keeping it that way now.
Well thats fine and dandy, but why did you put 'teen' in the post. Disney makes alot of those too, as well as adult ones.

Anti-Basic;708349 said:
Well thats fine and dandy, but why did you put 'teen' in the post. Disney makes alot of those too, as well as adult ones.

Wasn't aware of Disney making a lot of adult/teen based movies. Thought they were more of a family based type of thing and kept if kid friendly and such.

Reason for me putting teen is because thats what they said on the news what there focusing on at the moment with the smoke ban in movies.

DuckyInMyTrucky;708356 said:
Wasn't aware of Disney making a lot of adult/teen based movies. Thought they were more of a family based type of thing and kept if kid friendly and such.

Reason for me putting teen is because thats what they said on the news what there focusing on at the moment with the smoke ban in movies.
Well if is movies targeted at 14+ I think its stupid. If its targeted for under, than I don't really care (not agreeing with them, just not disagreeing)

Anti-Basic;708358 said:
Well if is movies targeted at 14+ I think its stupid. If its targeted for under, than I don't really care (not agreeing with them, just not disagreeing)

Yeah, you have the same view as me on it.
I don't think a 7 year old is going to go out and somehow get a pack of cigs and start up the habit just because he sees someone doing in on the screen for about 5secs or so. As for the teens, most of them start from being around parents or peers that smoke and/or stress related issues.
Although if they do ban it from the big screen, I don't see any harm in it. Just another thing not allowed in movies.

Lysdexic

Sorceror
DuckyInMyTrucky;708348 said:

101 Dalmations (Cruella DeVille), Pinnochio (he smokes stogeys), The XMas Story (the one of the 3 ghosts of XMas, ghost of future smokes cigars), The Great Mouse Detective (Basil smokes a cigar), and All Dogs Go to Heaven (1/2 the dogs in that one smoke cigars and cigs).

But this entire idealism is fucking bullshit:

Robin Hood - Heroic Thief?
Pinocchio - hellacious liar?
Alice In Wonderland - Off with her head?
Aladdin - another heroic thief

Death, murder and mayhem has ALWAYS been the bottom line for Disney... now just one of you tell me how smoking is any different so I can call you ignorant fucking hypocrites.

bzk90

Lord
*Thinks of Demolition Man and how the government became a moral dictator*

If Disney wants to stop poisoning the youth they should start with their crap TV that is turning the post 1990 generations into a bunch of spoiled drama queens.

Lysdexic

Sorceror
bzk90;708385 said:
*Thinks of Demolition Man and how the government became a moral dictator*

If Disney wants to stop poisoning the youth they should start with their crap TV that is turning the post 1990 generations into a bunch of spoiled drama queens.

That's even mildly put. Then they turn around and bitch about the younger generations when they're the ones who cause it all with the greed of their own wealth.

Greystar

Wanderer
DuckyInMyTrucky;708231 said:
I've heard this on the news and such about Disney-branded movies "voluntarily"
agreed to ban smoking in there upcoming movies. There now trying to get all movies aimed towards the "teens" not to having any type of smoking at all in them.

What do you guys think about this? Yay? Nay?

Imo I don't mind either way. Seems to be another attempt at censorship to me. Don't think this will decrease the amount of teen smokers and what not by all means.

There is no smoking here in Theaters either. Hasn't been as long as I can remember. However on a local note an ordinance has been passed here where I live that Smoking is being banned in all public places (except outside). Meaning: bars, restaurants, clubs (even strip joints) are all going to have to be smoke free by January 2008.

I am also a none smoker and I hate having to smell peoples cigarettes or inhale second hand smoke. Second hand smoke is just as dangerous or more dangerous then actually smoking because there is no filter for that.

bzk90

Lord
The laws are only going to become more prohibitive on American liberties. Nevada put into affect a law that makes it unlawful to smoke within X amount of meters of any place serving or selling food. This is the state that has legal prostitution in areas...

I'm not a smoker and I despise smokers who are inconsiderate of there surroundings; however, the censorship of movies, and laws prohibiting smoking in public are not acceptable.

When did it become the government's place to prohibit any lawful activity based on whether or not you are in a public area? When did it become OK for the government to dictate what a business owner can or cannot allow within his or her property.

If I were a business owner and I decide that I want to allow both smoking and eating it should be my CHOICE to do so.

China limits how long you can play WoW and the US prohibits smoking in public places (including private businesses)...which one is the civil liberty oppressing, communist loving nation?

WarAngel

Wanderer
I love how every analogy so far in this thread has been to something not even rumored to be lethal. Smoking has harmful side effects to not only the smoker but those around them. If you want to kill yourself, that's great, but you're not going to go out in public and kill those around you just because you have an addiction.

It's this kind of "OH MY GOD MY CIVIL LIBERTIES" whining over "liberties" that are not even that important or intelligent that pushes some conservatives who might have been sympathetic to the civil liberties movement over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.