RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

building a custom world

jumpnjahosofat;681781 said:
You guys are getting away from the question that the thread starter asked. Telling him that its hard to do is just discouraging him. Why be that way, especially when it really isn't hard at all?:(

Okay, Okay, Okay, I agree with you, it is an easy thing to do. :p Jump in, build away, have fun. Hope to see your world up and running in a month or so, maybe even less. But - I would take the other guys advice, unless you aren't going to do any updates, wait till someone figures out the map 0 and map 1 thing going on.

HellRazor

Knight
There's nothing wrong with letting someone know what they are getting into. No, it's not hard, but it is time consuming, especially if you are just learning how.

I don't think map building is something you want to get into if you want to have a finished map in an hour. Just doesn't work that way. It does require some level of commitment if you want to come out of it with a quality map.

Tintamar

Sorceror
Ive made about 5 custom maps so far and my biggest problem is I get about 50-75% done and decide I dont like it anymore lol. So I start on another one and I just never seem to be happy with it. I've spent so many hours on some maps and they are done real well, I just think I start to lose interest in it so I start another one lol. I just hopped on a map I spent about 200 hours on and was going to continue working on it more tonight after a 2 month break and now I've got that feeling again that im not happy with it :) I think this time rather then start over Im just going to give it a bit of a face lift since I really like the mountains on this one. Maybe if I stop giving up and just redo some things a little I might get back in to it again.

I've used UOL. Its nice but I dont like that I have to do altitudes on a different bmp.

I'm comfortable using Dragon Mod 9 with a few of my own changes and worldforge for fixing blemishes. Only thing I dont like about Dragon is the colors used since Im partially color blind the close shades mess with my eyes a lot.

Tintamar

Sorceror
Almrac Avanti;682400 said:
Okay, Okay, Okay, I agree with you, it is an easy thing to do. :p Jump in, build away, have fun. Hope to see your world up and running in a month or so, maybe even less. But - I would take the other guys advice, unless you aren't going to do any updates, wait till someone figures out the map 0 and map 1 thing going on.

Nothing going on with it other then you now have the option to make your tram and fel maps different yay! Finally an OSI patch I approve of.