RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building a website

Shadow_Storm

Wanderer
Building a website

Hello guys,

I been working on my new shard and having a great time, now is time for me to start building a website for it. So I was wondering if any of you know any free software good for building nice web pages.

I have Microsoft front page but I don’t like it much, so I am looking for something different and if possible free

Rosey1

Wanderer
notepad? :p

You should learn to code it yourself. The wysiwyg editors have a lot of coding errors in it and coding yourself will help you edit the pages and stuff.

If you can do c#, you can do html and css.

WeEzL

Wanderer
I just thought I'd chime in and offer an alternative to hand editting pages using a WYSIWYG web editor, there are a bunch of different free Content Management Systems available. Most are written in PHP but many typically don't require you to have much experience with coding in PHP or very much HTML knowledge. Depending on where you have your site hosted, many web hosts also include automatic setup scripts in whatever web control panel they offer for a few of the more popular CMS systems meaning you don't have to do much work to set anything up. The vast majority of the CMS systems are also skinnable which also means you don't need a bunch of graphic design knowledge either. As well, the majority of CMSes are expandable and customizable via blocks or modules. Blocks are onscreen components such as calendars, voting booths, mini chat boxes, menus, ad banners, etc. while modules provide other functionality like forums, project managers, link databases, etc.

There is a site called www.opensourcecms.com which allows you to view and even play with each CMS package they have listed there. You can even dive into the admin panels to see what each has to offer.

It's just an alternative I'm providing in case you want to get your site up and running quickly. Sometimes site development can take as long as fully customizing a shard, but with the various free CMS packages available, it could theroetically cut your website development time down to mere hours instead of days or weeks. It all depends on what you want to do and how complex you want to make things... the more complex, the more time it takes. But, for a basic site, given a couple hours, it's possible to have one up and running.

Lokai

Knight
Shadow_Storm said:
Hello guys,

I been working on my new shard and having a great time, now is time for me to start building a website for it. So I was wondering if any of you know any free software good for building nice web pages.

I have Microsoft front page but I don’t like it much, so I am looking for something different and if possible free

Try EVRsoft First Page 2006. It's Free, and different.

http://www.evrsoft.com/fp2006-final-3.00-setup.zip

Shadow_Storm

Wanderer
Lokai said:
Try EVRsoft First Page 2006. It's Free, and different.

http://www.evrsoft.com/fp2006-final-3.00-setup.zip

hehe I actually found this software after I posted. I been playing with and so far I like it. However, I am having problems with one of my pages. For some reason my java script appears in the middle of the table and is set to be at the top :(

Thank for the quick replys :D

by the way how do you make your page where it shares the top and the left side of it? can figure that out :(

Lokai

Knight
Shadow_Storm said:
hehe I actually found this software after I posted. I been playing with and so far I like it. However, I am having problems with one of my pages. For some reason my java script appears in the middle of the table and is set to be at the top :(

Thank for the quick replys :D

by the way how do you make your page where it shares the top and the left side of it? can figure that out :(

You do that by adding Frames.

Thanks to WeEzL and Lokai. I've been looking for a dreamweaver alternative for ahile and looking for a *good* free CMS also. I'm also working on a website.

Nochte

Wanderer
If you're using php, I'm pretty sure you could set things up with some includes for each segment of the page you're building.
If you're using asp.net 2.0, you can use a master, though I'm not sure of exactly how to do it.
If you're using Ruby/Rails, PM me and I'll walk you through it.

orgis

Wanderer
i use php nuke its excellent easy to use and set up also customise, i also hear that there are free hosts for php nuke(i pay for my webspace)

if you use php nuke i have a shard status module you can use

Shadow_Storm

Wanderer
I been using Evrsoft First page 2006 and I like it, very simple to use and it does not put so much junk like front page does.... I am hosting my own site, so I am good with that part.

Red Squirrel

Sorceror
TMSTKSBK said:
Rule 1 of publishing content to the web:
DO NOT USE FRONT PAGE.

Amen to that.

Notepad or equivalent is really only way to go. and no need for expensive software, other then photoshop for the graphics but there are alternatives such as gimp.

Also, dont use IIS/asp. Use apache/php/mysql, for the back end. you will thank yourself in the end. Even if its a windows server, nothing stops you from using apache.

bzk90

Lord
Damn notepad elitests...

There is no substitute for a solid knowledge of XHTML and CSS but that does not mean you should always hand code every line to do something as simple as assign a bg color #f6f6f6 ot verdana as the default font.