RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closing the client in a Gump

KillerBeeZ

Knight
Closing the client in a Gump

I am creating a shard gate script that allows players to go from shard to shard from within the shard, to do this I need at one point to close the players client (so there wont be 2 open)

Its a very simple script aside from the closing of the client thing.

Can this be done? I'm not just talking about logging them out, but closing the client too... if this can be done, how?

Zidane4056

Wanderer
I don't think OSI built one in...
Ask someone who knows basic or c, maybe there is a way to modify or add new dll's which could add a client function?

brodock

Sorceror
humm i think if you can open URL pages with openbrowser command, you can open any program you want on client machine... instead of opening (for example) http://www.uo.com you can open: c:\program files\ultima online\closeclient.exe (that you drop with a shard kit file)...

just an idea, don't really know if it works

Phantom

Knight
brodockbr said:
humm i think if you can open URL pages with openbrowser command, you can open any program you want on client machine... instead of opening (for example) http://www.uo.com you can open: c:\program files\ultima online\closeclient.exe (that you drop with a shard kit file)...

The client already had a feature to open a browser.

But I know there isn't a way to close the client, unless you hit the x on the application, unless for the past 5 years I have been blind.

Ravatar

Knight
Your best bet here is to find out how the client handles server lines and do something similar to that.

But like brod said, you could make a webapplication in .NET that does it.

Phantom

Knight
Ravatar said:
Your best bet here is to find out how the client handles server lines and do something similar to that.

But like brod said, you could make a webapplication in .NET that does it.

Which the user would have to run, which is not what he wants, he wants something in game that will allow him to do this. I never said you couldn't run an application, to do this, thats something entirely different.

Why is everyone making an issue, of what I said...anyhow?

HellRazor

Knight
Phantom said:
Why is everyone making an issue, of what I said...anyhow?

Who's making an issue of it? All I see here are some alternate suggestions, I don't see anyone challenging anything you said...?

Phantom

Knight
HellRazor said:
Who's making an issue of it? All I see here are some alternate suggestions, I don't see anyone challenging anything you said...?

Where did I make an issue out of it. When two people basicly say I am wrong, then I want to know why.

umm i think if you can open URL pages with openbrowser command, you can open any program you want on client machine... instead of opening (for example) http://www.uo.com you can open: c:\program files\ultima online\closeclient.exe (that you drop with a shard kit file)...

brodock

Sorceror
sorry phantom i didn't challanged you and don't said that you're wrong...
as HellRazor said i just posted an alternative way...

don't feel people are challenging you cause people aren't... ok?

brodock

Sorceror
and another good way i can see, is to freeze the character and show up a gump telling the client he must close it!
it will work very fine :D

Phantom

Knight
brodockbr said:
sorry phantom i didn't challanged you and don't said that you're wrong...
as HellRazor said i just posted an alternative way...

don't feel people are challenging you cause people aren't... ok?

Its alright, I am just use to people, doing what I thought you did.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
ok I understand there is no way to close an app via the client

I could just disconnect them, but there will be 2 open clients at that point, and for some people there will be 2 open UOgateways.

While I'd like to be able to do it seamlessly, I can deal with a gump telling players to close the client and UOG

I have an idea, maybe it would work, maybe not.

Is there a way to send a packet to the client from the server that will do the same thing as the player hitting the "Close" button, or is that not a packet?

Also, what would the code be for kicking a client?

KillerBeeZ

Knight
ASayre8 said:
Sending them to internal map usually crashes the client. (if on OSI client)

lol ok hey, while its not the best way to do it, it would work right?

Can you think of anything that might go wrong with crashing the client on purpose?

Arya

Wanderer
KillerBeeZ said:
lol ok hey, while its not the best way to do it, it would work right?

Can you think of anything that might go wrong with crashing the client on purpose?

Other than pissed off players? ;)

KillerBeeZ

Knight
Arya said:
Other than pissed off players? ;)

why would they be pissed?

I do plan on informing them that the client will crash so as not to have confused players, but I don't see why they would get pissed.

I'm mainly talking about the nasty things that can happen when things crash, such as corrupt data or lost data.

I'd rather tell them to close their clients than to make them reinstall :D

I have tried this on a test server, and it seems to work (now I just have to find a way to close one of the uogateways)

I'm not sure that I would be opposed to a client side program that does this, players will need only download it one time for all the shards in the network so its not that much of a problem... the problem arises when it comes down to creating this. I am getting pretty good at C# in the little time I've been learning (bout a year) but its my 1st programming language, I learn more every day and there is so much I still don't know. I started with C#, thus I don't have the .net knowledge or other programming language knowledge to know how to start something like this...

So, I guess my questions are as follows...

Where would one start in creating a stand alone program?
What language(s) could it be written in (which is best)?

How would one go about making this program one that can switch between a select number of shards on UO Gateway? (this list will need to be regulated so that only the shards in the group can have their shard listed on this program and in such a way thats as user friendly as possible for the players)

Each of these questions are based on understanding the last question, I plan to do this, one way or another, it may take time, or I might find a way to do it fast... it's an idea I had and everyone I've talked to about it likes it, so its just a matter of time...

Thank you in advance for any help on this issue... please don't go and flame each other, I can judge what would work and what wouldn't in most cases, and I know that there are many ways to do this, not all great but not all bad. There is no need to tell people they are stupid or belittle them here for any ideas they might have.

Ravatar

Knight
I'm pretty certain that the UO client allows server changing, there was a utility that did it for a short time on OSI, let you at least connect to an alternate server while in one server.