RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closing the client in a Gump

Arya

Wanderer
I personally would hate a forced crash on my client.

Most people using XP don't disable the error signaling feature, so it would result in the creation of an error report and then the 'Would you like to send this crash report to Microsoft?" message window.

People using less stable systems (like 98 or ME) could have issues (you never know what can happen software-wise on those system when an application crashes).

People who don't have much computer knowledge might find it suspicious that you can crash their client at will, and get paranoid about you getting in their pc or whatever.

Of course you can expect part of the playerbase to understand and don't mind, and what above is just my point of view. I personally would never use such a method, I'd rather put a large gump on the screen (that can't be moved or closed) asking to close the client.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
Arya said:
I personally would hate a forced crash on my client.

Most people using XP don't disable the error signaling feature, so it would result in the creation of an error report and then the 'Would you like to send this crash report to Microsoft?" message window.

People using less stable systems (like 98 or ME) could have issues (you never know what can happen software-wise on those system when an application crashes).

People who don't have much computer knowledge might find it suspicious that you can crash their client at will, and get paranoid about you getting in their pc or whatever.

Of course you can expect part of the playerbase to understand and don't mind, and what above is just my point of view. I personally would never use such a method, I'd rather put a large gump on the screen (that can't be moved or closed) asking to close the client.

I would have to then agree with you, so I'll make a stand alone program to do this... at least I'll try

Arya

Wanderer
If you decide to do it using .NET, then you have a very easy way to set up communication between the client machine and the server using .NET remoting. Of course this has the drawback of forcing your players to install .NET which for some dial-up users might be annoying.

Phantom

Knight
KillerBeeZ said:
ok I understand there is no way to close an app via the client

I could just disconnect them, but there will be 2 open clients at that point, and for some people there will be 2 open UOgateways.

While I'd like to be able to do it seamlessly, I can deal with a gump telling players to close the client and UOG

I have an idea, maybe it would work, maybe not.

Is there a way to send a packet to the client from the server that will do the same thing as the player hitting the "Close" button, or is that not a packet?

Also, what would the code be for kicking a client?

All you can do is disconnect them, there is no packet to close the client, its an internal application thing.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
Arya said:
If you decide to do it using .NET, then you have a very easy way to set up communication between the client machine and the server using .NET remoting. Of course this has the drawback of forcing your players to install .NET which for some dial-up users might be annoying.

How would I go about it without the players installing .net?

Phantom

Knight
KillerBeeZ said:
How would I go about it without the players installing .net?

Either way it requires you to give them/ have them use a third party application.

Lets be honest thats hard to force people to use.

Arya

Wanderer
Well for a Windows program, I guess you either use VB6 or C++ with MFC support. Honestly I don't know what's the best way to manage client-server communication in a standard application, perhaps a site like http://www.codeproject.com/ might help you out with some library you could use to create a small server on the client machine and that you can access from your server.

brodock

Sorceror
Arya said:
Well for a Windows program, I guess you either use VB6 or C++ with MFC support. Honestly I don't know what's the best way to manage client-server communication in a standard application, perhaps a site like http://www.codeproject.com/ might help you out with some library you could use to create a small server on the client machine and that you can access from your server.

you can ask support for this function to krios... and tell your players to use krios client...
this is an alterantive...

edited: (Ask for the function to close the client)