RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console Logging - a must, why in 2.xx is missing?

Rubberick

Squire
RunUO is now 2.2, but a thing is still missing... console output redirection...

man it's a basic feature, pratically all servers out of there have a console.log, an error.log or such...

:confused:

mysql, http, pratically all other gameserver... WHY runuo miss a function basic like that?

yeah, you can make a script to point stdout on a file... but if you run runuo and there's an error the script will not be loaded..

so you can modify core to log all from beginning.. but this require.. *every release* to download the sources and re-compile every time the RunUO.exe only for add this stupid thing

i really think that have a normal log for all console stuff should be a basic feature not something to add as custom function...

please consider add console daily log (eg. Logs/ConsoleLog-2011-10-09.txt) as standard in your release builds, thank you :)

Hiring Man

Sorceror
Sure it is good to have but why would you need it? Too see when what happen and things like that? Because if an error does occur, it will make a error.txt thingy with the crash or error i believe.

Rubberick

Squire
if there's a crash during the game runuo output a CrashLog

if there's an error during script verifying on start nothing happens

and a console log would be useful also for other purposes..

RunUO console is a far worst than something like Sphere one... :| you cant really scroll back to see what's going on and you can't send commands so output on a txt all console writes on stdout would be a great deal

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
I think the idea is extremely silly. Since by default hardly anything is printed to the console. Mostly just networking stuff, and when saves happen. And it already logs networking errors, which is all you'd need out of any of that.

I myself, have my chat system output to console. And even world chat. So I of course log the console. But this is only really useful if you do as I said, and send a bunch of stuff to the console. Exampe: Debug info, notices, chat, ect.

Just a default RunUO install really has no reason for something like this. Sure it's very useful and lovely if you have other stuff displaying out to the console (btw, if you send chat to the console...make sure you're not logging it twice.)

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
One last thing, if you reach the point that you're sending a lot of info the console. I suggest adding timestamps to your output. Just drop this file in your customs and you're good.

Attachments

• Timestamp.cs
    1.1 KB · Views: 26

Rubberick

Squire
ok, so i restart from beginning...

Maaan maaan you missing the point...

mysql have mysql.err
apache have error.log
all others gameservers or daemons have own customized log or almost an error log

runuo runs... yeah.. script compiling error or world / save error ----> no log output... only console warning

so... ok don't log everything because you can do a script for log everything since started... but an error.txt or something just for printing the whole errors should be useful.. BECAUSE IF THERE'S AN ERROR DURING STARTUP your script will not work :|

m309

Squire
I'm not sure why you'd need a log of errors on start-up for scripts specifically as you say Rubberick, it displays all the errors and exceptions that are thrown if the C# compile gets halted...why force it to write to a file? Most people apply changes to a Test server prior to committing to a live one, and fix any errors at that time based on whats displayed on the console. I guess my point is it seems redundant to generate a log of the exact same info when most folks don't need to keep it for any reason, they just try to immediately fix it.

Rubberick

Squire
just few benefits:

- long errors can't be read because runuo dot net console don't store pratically nothing and you can't go back and read all the stuff printed out. (pratically all daemons out of there print an external file mainly for this reason)

- not all admin in shared hosting enviroments have a remote desktop to read console...

- better compatibility running runuo under mono with linux

- others..

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
That doesn't help your argument at all for logs...Wtf does linux have to do with logging the console?

World load errors, generates it's own crash log. Network errors are logged to it's own file. Packets, throttle, ect. Everything has it's own log.

If you chose to log the console, you'd actually be double logging almost everything. And again, for the last time. The only extra stuff in the console that you may want to log, would be custom stuff that you have display to the console. Because as of now, EVERYTHING generates it's own log files. Try loading a server with an error that you know will crash the shard on startup. You'll see it generates it's own log (since you couldn't possibly read the console fast enough before it closes.)

Logging the console does have it's own uses, just not on a default RunUO install.

Jeff

Lord
That doesn't help your argument at all for logs...Wtf does linux have to do with logging the console?

World load errors, generates it's own crash log. Network errors are logged to it's own file. Packets, throttle, ect. Everything has it's own log.

If you chose to log the console, you'd actually be double logging almost everything. And again, for the last time. The only extra stuff in the console that you may want to log, would be custom stuff that you have display to the console. Because as of now, EVERYTHING generates it's own log files. Try loading a server with an error that you know will crash the shard on startup. You'll see it generates it's own log (since you couldn't possibly read the console fast enough before it closes.)

Logging the console does have it's own uses, just not on a default RunUO install.
I believe what he is saying is things like Compiler errors (Scripts do not compile) do not produce a log, and in his case (or his argument) not everyone has access to the console. So, outputting to a log file at all times, would be beneficial in this instance.

Rubberick

Squire
I believe what he is saying is things like Compiler errors (Scripts do not compile) do not produce a log, and in his case (or his argument) not everyone has access to the console. So, outputting to a log file at all times, would be beneficial in this instance.
yeah :) u got the point ;)

Jeff

Lord
yeah :) u got the point ;)
Ya, but I also get the point of what m309 is saying
Most people apply changes to a Test server prior to committing to a live one, and fix any errors at that time based on whats displayed on the console
This is really a great practice, deploying untested code that you assume is going to work, is really bad.

While I think the logging would be easy enough to add, I don't currently see the number of benefits out weighing the effort. If this was to be done, I would assume it would be by command arg, not everyone would want this feature, thus it should have to be invoked by a verbose command at run time.

Hopefully the RunUO team listens, and takes the time to perhaps add this, but I personally wouldn't wait on it. It would be very easy to simply write this yourself. Then when new changes come from the SVN, just use a merge tool and recompile your core. It really shouldn't take that much effort, the RunUO Core changes very very rarely.

clark71822

Sorceror
couldn't you just increase the buffer size in the properties of the console window to get it to display more data?

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
The ONLY reason I send stuff to the console, is simply for the reason that I have access to the console. I guess I just don't understand what he's wanting to log that RunUO displays by default in the console.

Jeff

Lord
The ONLY reason I send stuff to the console, is simply for the reason that I have access to the console. I guess I just don't understand what he's wanting to log that RunUO displays by default in the console.
Compiler crashes are the only thing I can see as a true issue. If you get one, and cannot see the console, pretty hard to debug the problem. World load errors to I guess.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
You shouldn't ever run into world load issues and NOT be able to see the console. As you said above, that's a very bad practice. Just don't understand why someone would be loading something new in and not have access to the console to know if it even works or not. :/

Jeff

Lord
You shouldn't ever run into world load issues and NOT be able to see the console. As you said above, that's a very bad practice. Just don't understand why someone would be loading something new in and not have access to the console to know if it even works or not. :/
Sure, but not everyone understands that... or follows it, I'd be willing to be 90% of the servers run, modify the code directly. Anyway, I don't think this argument is valid, The OP is making a suggestion, whether you would use it or not doesn't make it right or wrong. There are obvious reasons why it should be included, and I think that those alone make the request valid. Getting this into RunUO would probably require someone doing it, and submitting a patch.