RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Believe in God?

Yeah but matter cant be made from nothing, so what form was the matter in before the big bang?

Disclaimer: my knowledge of the Big Bang Theory is very limited.

Alex21

Sorceror
Anti-Basic;760941 said:
Yeah but matter cant be made from nothing, so what form was the matter in before the big bang?

Disclaimer: my knowledge of the Big Bang Theory is very limited.

A single point of infinite density and infinite smallness

mordero

Knight
Yes I do believe in God, but to answer your question:

There are a couple on how the universe came into creation. Let's limit our thinking to just this universe and its creation (ignoring the creation of a multiverse):

Quantum physics says that particles are able to come into and out of existence trillons of times in empty space. There is a very small possibility that one of these particles could remain without being destroyed (I have mentioned this in another post). When these particles come into existence, there is a chance that a "bubble" is created that could contain its own rules of physics and such. This bubble could be our universe (meaning there is another universe that encompasses ours). So technically, our universe both came from nothing and from something (nothing in that a quantum particle reated a bubble which created this universe and something in that the universe is created inside another one). It would appear to us that the creation of these "bubbles" would be the Big Bang.

There is also the theory that the universe goes through a loop (expansion -> contraction ->expansion). So you could have the Big Bang -> universe expands rapidly -> expansion slows -> universe contracts -> another Big Bang. So really, our universe is just a previous universe recycled.

However, the universe's expansion is accelerating when it should be slowing down, so many believe that there will actually be a big "freeze" in that the universe will keep expanding and eventually new stars will not be made and black holes will rule the universe. This is were the first theory comes into play in that new universes could potentially come into existence in "bubbles".

Anywho, there are more theories on its creation, but I dont know enough about them to really mention them or what not. :)

Kyla

Wanderer
God is one of a nearly infinite number of options as to how the life, the universe and everything was created. And it's most likely wrong.

~K

I believe in God. I don't go around the forums yelling HALLELUJAH, and try to influence people into believing, but yes I do believe in the Lord.

Kiwi

Knight
Arkad;760927 said:
How can the universe come from nothing?

How can God come from nothing to create the universe?

The concept of the universe itself existing, is paradoxical at best. That's why I try not to spend too much time wondering how the fuck we got here. The chance of anyone coming up with an answer that makes any sense to our little human brains is slim to none.

So I guess my answer is:

C. Not enough information to answer the question.

Kiwi;760953 said:

The concept of the universe itself existing, is paradoxical at best. That's why I try not to spend too much time wondering how the fuck we got here. The chance of anyone coming up with an answer that makes any sense to our little human brains is slim to none.

So I guess my answer is:

lol .

Arkad

Wanderer
Kiwi;760953 said:

Einstein says that in order for time to exist there must be matter and space, so therefore the universe has a beginning somewhere in time.

I don't believe God operates within the realm of time so asking when God was created or where does God come from is like asking what the color blue smells like - it's impossible to fathom but simple to understand IMO.

Kiwi;760953 said:

So I guess my answer is:

Don't let the difficulty of it all make you stop thinking about it. Imagine what would happen if everyone did this - we wouldn't progress.

Another question similar to the universe one:

How was something as complex as life created?

Some scientists said that since we know that the universe began with a bang, God is no longer needed to account for its origin. These scientists spoke too soon. During our generation, further results from the field of astrophysics have revealed that subsequent to the big bang, the universe must have been fine-tuned and balanced with an incredible precision to sustain intelligent life. There are factors referred to as “cosmic constants” that must be precisely what they are, or intelligent life would not be possible. If these varied slightly, our universe would be life-prohibiting, rather than life-permitting.

Some examples of cosmic constants concern planet/star relationships. If a planet is too close to its sun, the planet will be too warm for a stable water system to support life. If too far, the planet will be too cold for a stable water system to support life. The age and size of the parent star, as well as its position in the galaxy, are, likewise, crucial.

Another example of a cosmic constant concerns the expansion rate of the universe. Current scientific data indicates that the universe is expanding from its center. It is the rate of the expansion that is of interest. If the universe were expanding any faster, galaxies could not form. Therefore, planet/star relationships would not be possible. If the universe were expanding any slower, the gravitational pull from the big-bang would have caused the universe to cease expanding, and then reverse its direction until it collapsed on itself.

This “big-crunch” would have occurred prior to star formation. The amount of variation in this expansion rate required to render the universe as life-prohibiting is simply amazing. One percent is represented as 10-2 (or within two decimal places of 1; 0.01). One one-millionth of one percent is represented as 10-8 (or within eight decimal places of 1; 0.00000001).

The amount of variation of the expansion rate of the universe needed to render it as life-prohibiting is around 10-55!
This number is so small that the variation in the total weight of the earth produced by removing a single human hair is gigantic in comparison. Keep in mind that the expansion rate is only one cosmic constant. There are more than 50, half of which require the same precision!(1) (so if you look at life in the universe as a roulette table, essentially the possiblity for life to exist is 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000................ chance.)

Cosmic constants provide the strong appearance that the universe was designed with life in mind. The prominent astronomer and former atheist, Fred Hoyle, concludes that, “a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology.”(2) Similarly, Paul Davies, a prominent physicist moved from promoting atheism in 1983 to conceding in 1984 that “the laws [of physics] . . . Seem themselves to be the product of exceedingly ingenious design.” One year after this statement, Davies said that there “is, for me, powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all. The impression of design is overwhelming.”(3) Robert Jastrow, Founder-Director of NASA’s Goddard Institute of Space Studies refers to cosmic constants as “the most theistic result ever to come out of science.”(4)

Kiwi

Knight
Arkad;760959 said:
Einstein says that in order for time to exist there must be matter and space, so therefore the universe has a beginning somewhere in time.

I don't believe God operates within the realm of time so asking when God was created or where does God come from is like asking what the color blue smells like.

Don't let the difficulty of it all make you stop thinking about it. Imagine what would happen if everyone did this - we wouldn't progress.

So your god is all magical and can exist out of thin air but the universe itself (or the matter that started it) can't. Either way you're going to end up with a theory that contradicts the laws of the universe that we know today, so you may as well start listing off random shit you make up yourself, since as long as it doesn't exist within this realm, it's plausible.

Yet my point is that it doesn't really matter. It's not the difficulty of it, it's just the ridiculous levels that some people take it to.

But I do think humans need to know their limitations, and I do not believe the question of the origin of life itself will be answered within the next 50,000 years.

J MaNN

Wanderer
Kiwi;760961 said:
So your god is all magical and can exist out of thin air but the universe itself (or the matter that started it) can't. Either way you're going to end up with a theory that contradicts the laws of the universe that we know today, so you may as well start listing off random shit you make up yourself, since as long as it doesn't exist within this realm, it's plausible.

Yet my point is that it doesn't really matter. It's not the difficulty of it, it's just the ridiculous levels that some people take it to.

But I do think humans need to know their limitations, and I do not believe the question of the origin of life itself will be answered within the next 50,000 years.

Which is why we waste our time in starbucks instead of trying to find the answer. :)

Arkad

Wanderer
Kiwi;760961 said:

I know that the universe and life are too complex to have been created merely by chance. And if in fact they were created by chance, the chances of this actually happening is like winning the lottery 10 times in a row.

I think it's a pretty obvious answer that the person who sets the laws for the universe doesn't have to live by them. Since were in a UO forum, it would only be fitting to compare this to a GM on a UO shard.

But at any rate, if this discussion doesn't really matter to you I can't understand why you would debate it.

My suggestion: take some psyilocibin mushrooms and think about it

a GM on a UO shard still has to abide by rules, he/she cant do anything that the client won't allow him/her to.

Arkad

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;760966 said:
a GM on a UO shard still has to abide by rules, he cant do anything that the client won't allow him to.

of course there are limits with graphics or scripts, etc..., but was just an analogy