RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Believe in God?

Alari

Wanderer
It's possible that there is a god, though if so I don't think it would be anything like we imagine or are taught (invisible superhero living in space) Also, the 'day to day' operations of a sufficiently advanced civilization (type 4 or 5) would be indistinguishable from the universe itself. They would be literally god-like to us.

It's also possible that there isn't one. And no matter how small the chance of a universe forming, it obviously has happened, whether it formed from a parent universe or the collapse of the 'previous' universe. If universes can be spawned by parent universes, depending on how exactly that happens, even with a very low chance, if that 'chance' is being rolled millions, billions, or trillions of times every picosecond, eventually you'll hit the universe lottery.

Also keep in mind a lot of the 'universal constants' may be artifacts of our incomplete understanding of the nature of the universe. It's like when you do math* and get 'infinity' as an answer, it usually means you're asking the wrong question, or asking the question in the wrong way.

*I meant physics math, please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renormalization
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_singularity

mordero

Knight
Alari;760972 said:
It's possible that there is a god, though if so I don't think it would be anything like we imagine or are taught (invisible superhero living in space) Also, the 'day to day' operations of a sufficiently advanced civilization (type 4 or 5) would be indistinguishable from the universe itself. They would be literally god-like to us.

It's also possible that there isn't one. And no matter how small the chance of a universe forming, it obviously has happened, whether it formed from a parent universe or the collapse of the 'previous' universe. If universes can be spawned by parent universes, depending on how exactly that happens, even with a very low chance, if that 'chance' is being rolled millions, billions, or trillions of times every picosecond, eventually you'll hit the universe lottery.

Also keep in mind a lot of the 'universal constants' may be artifacts of our incomplete understanding of the nature of the universe. It's like when you do math and get 'infinity' as an answer, it usually means you're asking the wrong question, or asking the question in the wrong way.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Infinity is a concept that is well define and accepted in mathematics. Getting infinity as an answer has nothing to do with our "incomplete understanding".

Alari

Wanderer
mordero;760974 said:
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Infinity is a concept that is well define and accepted in mathematics. Getting infinity as an answer has nothing to do with our "incomplete understanding".

Yes, I do, thanks for asking.

But I meant physics-related math that refers to actual, real things. I know there are special mathematics which include infinity as a reasonable answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity - look for the "physics" part.

Worth noting is that certain physics answers do produce infinity, however those values have to be renormalized (please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renormalization ) into actual, meaningful numbers.

See also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_singularity

BTW the "do you have any idea what you are talking about" part was unnecessarily rude.

mordero

Knight
"Special mathematics"?

Those "special mathematics" are what make everything else work. Without these "special mathematics" we wouldnt have calculus or other advance areas of mathematics that all us to define and analyze the world.

4RK3TYP3

Wanderer
God exists, the definition of God is what is flawed. No matter what name you give him/her/it you have essentially defined "God" by your very existence when you claim there must have been an origin to the universe, thus proving that there was a beginning (alpha) and the universal collapse inward indicating destruction (omega).

This in mind, God is but the analogous "0" we're all seeking (ghost in the shell?)

So an atheist would only be able to disprove stories told by humans about what God is/does not necessarily whether or not he actually exists. However, none of us can truly say that he does exist since the only definition we have to go on is our own idea of him and if our idea of God is flawed then our ideas are subject to the actual critique and not necessarily God him/her/itself.

Of course, humans can't yet grasp the actual definition of the universe or god until we learn to think in a manner less black and white or, rather, digital. good and bad are the same but we see them as two ends of the spectrum since our minds and social inhibition prevent us from calling good bad and bad good. This in part because it allows us to differentiate and judge people and things. There is no real opposite because nothing can be fully and completely opposite something else, differentiation and quantitative reasoning give us digits to signify degrees of opposition, but in doing so we seek the middle ground or what we would consider the "least".

The "least" in the battle between good and evil would be indifference which would be more accurately defined as the opposite of both love and hatred, good and evil, poor and rich.

**RANT COMPLETE**

4RK3TYP3;760981 said:
God exists, the definition of God is what is flawed. No matter what name you give him/her/it you have essentially defined "God" by your very existence when you claim there must have been an origin to the universe, thus proving that there was a beginning (alpha) and the universal collapse inward indicating destruction (omega).
No we haven't.

So an atheist would only be able to disprove stories told by humans about what God is/does not necessarily whether or not he actually exists. However, none of us can truly say that he does exist since the only definition we have to go on is our own idea of him and if our idea of God is flawed then our ideas are subject to the actual critique and not necessarily God him/her/itself.
Burden of proof lies on the person making the claim. The fact that we can't "prove" that he doesn't exist is irrelevant because you can't prove he does.

Of course, humans can't yet grasp the actual definition of the universe or god until we learn to think in a manner less black and white or, rather, digital. good and bad are the same but we see them as two ends of the spectrum since our minds and social inhibition prevent us from calling good bad and bad good. This in part because it allows us to differentiate and judge people and things. There is no real opposite because nothing can be fully and completely opposite something else, differentiation and quantitative reasoning give us digits to signify degrees of opposition, but in doing so We seek the middle ground or what we would consider the "least".
None of that has anything to do with god.

mordero

Knight
Alari;760976 said:
Yes, I do, thanks for asking.

But I meant physics-related math that refers to actual, real things. I know there are special mathematics which include infinity as a reasonable answer.

Infinity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - look for the "physics" part.

Worth noting is that certain physics answers do produce infinity, however those values have to be renormalized (please see Renormalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) into actual, meaningful numbers.

See also, Mathematical singularity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW the "do you have any idea what you are talking about" part was unnecessarily rude.

If you are going to quote wikipedia please at least read it. Infinity is often used in calculations to define the physical universe. So your first post was wrong, getting infinity as an answer doesnt mean we dont understand something at all since infinity is an acceptable answer.

As for the unnecessarily rude part: how was that rude at all? I just wanted to know if you actually have any idea about what you are typing.

Alari

Wanderer
Ok is this the game where you nitpick everything I say? What the hell did I do, run over your cat or something? And yes I did read the links, did you? Nevermind, I'm done.

mordero

Knight
Well, yes I will nitpick everything you say because you post without knowing what you're talking about. Your link on infinity talks about infinity being used in physics and it having real value. I assume you linking to the article on mathematical singularities is about the function going to infinity and not being defined. That not being defined has nothing to do with us not understanding. That function has an answer that is found when you take the limit of the function as x approaches 0, infinity. It has nothing to do with us not understanding it.

Btw: I dont like cats.

oiii88

Sorceror
If there is a god I am not sure on . But I do believe humans in general need something to believe in , whether it be a invisible super hero in the clouds or something else thats all up to ones own perspective. The one thing that bugs me is evolution. If humans and all other living things evolved into our modern state in order to survive with in the regions we live etc.. Now why did we stop evolving? Because modern man is far from perfect. We still have issues surviving with in regional areas with out modern technology.. Anyways I'm rambling evolution is just something I question because to stop evolving before reaching the perfect creature for survival doesn't make sense to me.

Kiwi

Knight
oiii88;760989 said:
If there is a god I am not sure on . But I do believe humans in general need something to believe in , whether it be a invisible super hero in the clouds or something else thats all up to ones own perspective. The one thing that bugs me is evolution. If humans and all other living things evolved into our modern state in order to survive with in the regions we live etc.. Now why did we stop evolving? Because modern man is far from perfect. We still have issues surviving with in regional areas with out modern technology.. Anyways I'm rambling evolution is just something I question because to stop evolving before reaching the perfect creature for survival doesn't make sense to me.

Who says we stopped?

No we just went from hiding in caves and shit to creating global networks to post cat pictures with funny captions by magic.

Radwen

Wanderer
Kiwi;760953 said:
C. Not enough information to answer the question.
Corretto mi amor.

Not thinking about it won't stop us or help us evolve. Thinking about things that are within our reach of comprehension will.
Its not the difficulty of the matter, it's its impossibility.

oiii88

Sorceror
Kiwi;760990 said:
Who says we stopped?

True that can be argued. But I was referring to our anatomy and functions of the body to deal with disease and surroundings. We are still at the mercy of many diseases the same as we were 3000 yrs ago. I just always thought if we were able to evolve into such a complex being we would continue to evolve into a stronger specimen immune to things we have faced for thousands of years.

Kiwi

Knight
oiii88;760998 said:
True that can be argued. But I was referring to our anatomy and functions of the body to deal with disease and surroundings. We are still at the mercy of many diseases the same as we were 3000 yrs ago. I just always thought if we were able to evolve into such a complex being we would continue to evolve into a stronger specimen immune to things we have faced for thousands of years.

It takes more than 3000 years...

oiii88

Sorceror
Kiwi;760999 said:
It takes more than 3000 years...

Yes I do understand this. I was only making a point to show my reasons for questioning physical evolution. Anyways I wont argue this with you because in the end no one wins and opinions are just that...