RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Believe in God?

4RK3TYP3

Wanderer
Killamus;761046 said:
So, by this quote you're thusly saying because I'm atheist (Grew up in an Atheist house, although I lived with my Christian grandparents for some time) that I have no moral values, no definition of good and evil?

Congratulations - You're officially an idiot. Excuse me while I go rape and pillage, kthx.

Besides, good and evil is quite an outdated theory. It's been replaced by insanity.
If you meet a truly evil person, someone who murders, rapes, and steals just for the joy of being evil - Not because he/she has a compulsion to do it from a mental disorder - tell me, because I'd like to meet that person myself and shake his/her hand.

Same applies to a person of true good - Altruism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems that you might have misread what I said, though to make you feel better *whisper* you aren't the only one.

All I said was that our religious foundings and definition of God come from our beliefs in what is right and wrong, good and evil. Good and Evil is defined by the social norm which is determined by the people's overall thoughts and actions as a generality.

Example would be that we use our definition of good and righteous, multiply it, and then apply it to God. So our social belief in what is good and right becomes God.
therefore you killing and raping would be considered evil by the populace as a whole.

I'm sorry the smart part of your brain wasn't working when you read what I had typed.

Arkad

Wanderer
Rosetta;761044 said:
Anytime a scientist is not named it is not actually a scientist making the statement. Journalism 101

You didn't read the whole sentence: "Some scientists said that since we know that the universe began with a bang, God is no longer needed to account for its origin." Which is true, many scientists who claim big bang theory say this.

Rosetta;761044 said:
I don't know if God is real or not. He/she/it/they could exist, but the real question is do we exist to him.
I figure if he really wanted us to know he would tell us clearly. Instead of watching people argue and kill one another over the very concept of him.

All of this under the assumption that God is in fact a personal God and actually has a conscience. Organized religions believe more in a personal God than an impersonal God. I side with Einstein and believe God is more impersonal in nature, and is just a force that's there. Maybe to just create life and whatever happens after that he isn't concerned with - whether they survive or destroy themselves it doesn't matter. At least we had the chance.

Killamus;761046 said:
So, by this quote you're thusly saying because I'm atheist (Grew up in an Atheist house, although I lived with my Christian grandparents for some time) that I have no moral values, no definition of good and evil?

No. You are a product of your atmosphere, society gives you these.

Which brings me to an offtopic but related point. The problem with America is many people are getting their morals from the media more than anything else. This makes American culture very violent in general (do some traveling and you'll notice the difference)...and if the young girls growing up have role models like Britney Spears and Paris Hilton - how do you think they're going to act when they're older?

God?

Arkad should be banned from bringing up anything else religious or political.

This is like his 5th post in a row thats had something to do with one or the other. ><

o0_Sithid_0o;761058 said:

This is like his 5th post in a row thats had something to do with one or the other. ><
Arkad, I just want to make sure you understand how this is all not working out. It's not that everyone hates you, it's just that everyone hates everyone else a hell of a lot less. :]

Arkad

Wanderer
What are you trying to say? No more group hugs?

:(

Where's my retarded velco shoe loving friend J MaNN when I need him most?

:( :(

Rosetta

Wanderer
Arkad;761051 said:
You didn't read the whole sentence: "Some scientists said that since we know that the universe began with a bang, God is no longer needed to account for its origin." Which is true, many scientists who claim big bang theory say this.

It was not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.
No one is named, therefore it can not be said that so and so - in this case "some scientists" said anything at all. Again it's just a basic rule of journalism that one must name their source directly or the quote/paraphrase becomes obsolete.
Think of it as a grammar mistake but in this case it's a writing mistake.

Arkad;761051 said:
All of this under the assumption that God is in fact a personal God and actually has a conscience.

I don't presume to know god or have any assumption of the concept at all. More like philosophy it's just something to think on.

o0_Sithid_0o;761058 said:

Just wow...

Radwen

Wanderer
Arkad;761065 said:
Please don't mind my 12 year old brother Sithid.

He prefers topics on Super Smash Brothers and Naruto.
Lol, must spread more karma.

Saying that we stopped evolving physically is absurd... is there really a scientist that said so?
Theres tons of proof that we are undergoing various physical evolutions.

A few examples off the top of my head:

Wisdom teeth, they are gradually being dismissed.
Body hair, whether it be nose/ear/chest we're not growing as much.
Muscles, we're losing certain unique layers within our muscles because we no longer need our physical strength for our survival.

Those are all examples of evolution that happened outside ones lifetime. There are not caused by the body adapting to its immediate environment, they are caused by evolution on a long term scale.

MarciXs

Sorceror
Do I believe : short answer yes but..

For me God is not Jesus father, Religion was made by Human.
For me God is my self believe, something what makes me to believe in myself.

God's heaven - There is no such a thing as heaven. Live proof? When you go to sleep and don't dream anything , well there you go that what will happen when you die.

For those who are stating God created universe and it couldn't create itself.Okay so, If everything was made by GOD , who made God himself then? How can God make himself but universe can't ? There is no logic in it.

About einstein thing, I've always wondered one thing. First off time was made by humans , just as metres, pounds etc. Time is nothing more than making notes of some action in specific measurment. Like One day is one full turn of earth, why not two turns? So how can time change if it doesn't even exist?

Also his train experiment. Most of you heard probably about it. Well there is this train moving and there are two points in which would the lighting strike at the same time. and the person who is looking from some distance to this action sees both of strikes to strike at the same moment, but the one who is watching inside train sees the one forward to him first and then the other one from back later. There is easy explanation how i see it.
We see only when the light goes into our eyes, so by that. If the train was moving onto the light, the light had a shorter distance to travel. Therefore you can see it before it happened even though you just got the light more quickly in your eyes.
Than the person who is looking on train from a distance. Where the points to him was at the same distance.

b0b01

Sorceror
Well actually when welfare increases it is very much possible that evolution is slowing down. The reason for this is that evolution is mainly a mixture of mutation of dna and a natural selection of the dna by the death of creatures with unsuccesfull dna patterns.

However these days we invent a lot of stuff to prevent people from dieing and invent a lot of stuff to make people that increases the likelyhood that people can multiply themselves that would not be able todo so without interference of our technology. And thus people not dieing before they are fit to mate etc, makes it possible to create a lot of individuals that are not participating in evolution of the race.

Slower maybe, but might be more successfull in the long run. By studying and treating/curing the ailments and weaknesses of the sick, we are better suited to prevent them in the future.

crackrat

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;761114 said:
Slower maybe, but might be more successfull in the long run. By studying and treating/curing the ailments and weaknesses of the sick, we are better suited to prevent them in the future.

But in itself, isn't that messing with true evolution. Allowing the weak to survive taints the gene pool. If the weak genes are allowed to breed then in effect thats strengthening that weak gene.

Not if you are attempting to cure the weak and preventing such weaknesses in the future. So while weak person A with unknown ailment and healthy person B have a child which is weak child C, and it keeps going for a bit, by the time the offspring is weak person F or M or even X, a cure or vaccination will have been made (unless it takes more than 26 generations for it but bear with me) preventing unknown ailment from infecting people in the future. So, sure it weakens the gene pool for a few generations, but in the long run, you remove the threat itself from infecting anyone.

I mean considering all of the diseases of the past that killed masses of people, without trying to find cures we would have most likely died out.

The "bad" bit, is that diseases are evolving too.

b0b01

Sorceror
Well we have created our own society with different things being important, we still enhance beaty because goodlooking people mate more often with their kind than ugly ones. Same with intelligent people, mating more often with each other than with dumber equivalents.

The big difference is that we also allow people with bad genes to live and reproduce. We call it humanity, caring for the ones that have been less lucky with getting the right genes or just have parents with bad genes. Actually this isn't a big problem since we have created all this technology and wealth to make our live easier and to help those less fortunate.

This means that we allow good genes to coexist with bad genes where normally nature would make those genes die out.

Which makes us come to the question if we havn't been too succesfull in evolution, since we are now able to beat the general nature as in we do not have any real enemies besides ourselves. We are able to destroy anything on this world including ourselves. which has now become one of our main issues ie nuclear threats and the environment that we slowly destroy.

We have become very smart creatures that created a huge wealth, however we are relatively self centered, which means we allow a lot of bad stuff to happen to our fellow people on this planet and future generations to make it better and easier for ourselves. This is something that hasn't been calculated in into the nature and evolution, and human kind will have to fix it themselves or extinct and make room for a new and maybe better species.

b0b01

Sorceror
Where i come from we call it earth.

Maybe you are from america, americans often consider america being a planet. Where i come from we call america a country.

Maybe that clears something up for you. :D

b0b01;761125 said:
Where i come from we call it earth.

Maybe you are from america, americans often consider america being a planet. Where i come from we call america a country.

Maybe that clears something up for you. :D
Well, In my little corner of America, almost every smart girl I know is dating a moron.

b0b01

Sorceror
Anti-Basic;761126 said:
Well, In my little corner of America, almost every smart girl I know is dating a moron.

Did you mean every good looking girl, or really every smart girl? The second thing is do they make babies with them, since that is the essence of my story....