RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Believe in God?

skull77

Wanderer
jhs59;761283 said:
Matter can be created from energy. Einstein's famous E=MC² equation works both ways.

energy is not nothing. my statement was "nothing can come from nothing", because this is the first rule of science. energy is something.

science is a human invention which is basically an attempt to understand and explain all reality which surrounds us.

the reason that i (as a religious person) can not answer the question "if nothing can come from nothing, then where did god come from?" is because this implies a scientific response. the science that is required to answer this question is beyond our understanding and ability to comprehend, therefore, the question is unanswerable.

i believe in god and science.

Arkad

Wanderer
skull77;761347 said:
the reason that i (as a religious person) can not answer the question "if nothing can come from nothing, then where did god come from?" is because this implies a scientific response. the science that is required to answer this question is beyond our understanding and ability to comprehend, therefore, the question is unanswerable.

The more I think about this the more strange I feel.

...or it could be Kiwi's hands down my pants again

jhs59

Sorceror
skull77;761347 said:
energy is not nothing. my statement was "nothing can come from nothing", because this is the first rule of science. energy is something.

science is a human invention which is basically an attempt to understand and explain all reality which surrounds us.

i believe in god and science.

Aye, energy is not nothing. Science also says that energy cannot be destroyed or created, only changed from one form to another. Perhaps this energy is god.. Who knows.

I would think that because energy can exist as anything that everything is connected in some way or another. Because of this, it is possible that whatever energy there is in the universe, and beyond, has always existed and always will exist. If there is some sort of God out there, I would consider this ever changing energy to be it.

Like has been said though, all of this is beyond our comprehension at this time.

skull77

Wanderer
jhs59;761365 said:
Aye, energy is not nothing. Science also says that energy cannot be destroyed or created, only changed from one form to another. Perhaps this energy is god.. Who knows.

I would think that because energy can exist as anything that everything is connected in some way or another. Because of this, it is possible that whatever energy there is in the universe, and beyond, has always existed and always will exist. If there is some sort of God out there, I would consider this ever changing energy to be it.

Like has been said though, all of this is beyond our comprehension at this time.

what you said about energy is intriguing and is a really good point.

anybody

Sorceror
First I have to ask how you know for sure that this background radiation doesn't come from all of the stars in the universe...

Now I'm curious if any of you have read Darwin's theory of evolution.

In his book he explains how a Island full of one type of bird eats all of the seeds on the island and the birds with the bigger beaks are able to crack open the shells of nuts and eat them and the birds with the bigger beaks are able to survive and pass on their genes while all the other birds die off from starvation. This is solid proof that evolution is real.

This is off the wall but if you take two down syndrome people, male and female and mate them, they are guaranteed to have a down syndrome baby. Is this evolution?

Every race on the planet have different characteristics that define them as different. How did those differences come about? Evolution?

So for any religious person to deny the existence of evolution is only showing their own immaturity. On the flip side of the coin there is no 100% solid evidence that proves we actually evolved from something lesser or greater and yes. there is evidence that suggest that we may have evolved from something lesser or greater doe to similarities in other species of animals but to use this argument to deny the existence that we may have been created by an intelligent designer is just as immature as the latter.

This debate is no different then two children on a playground throwing sand in each others face and if any of you have spent any time reading the bible would probably see this whole good (God) and evil (Satan) crap the same way. A immature jealous child (God) shoving is rival, an immature jealous child (Satan), off of the playground.

My point is we have people on both ends of the ladder fighting like little kids to prove their theory and without 100% solid evidence it is nothing more then a theory and until we find 100% solid evidence to prove ether end of the latter this debate is pointless.

b0b01

Sorceror
Rosetta;761338 said:
I have read Darwin's Origin of Species along with books about primate evolution specifically.
Darwin is outdated by now, he was one of the founders of the theory of evolution however it has been enahnced a lot by now.

You got my respect for reading them thou, i could never put myself to completely reading those books.

Rosetta;761338 said:
But again there is nothing but miscommunication here.

True, after all this is starbucks, probably not the best place to discuss this.

4RK3TYP3

Wanderer
anybody;761377 said:
First I have to ask how you know for sure that this background radiation doesn't come from all of the stars in the universe...

Now I'm curious if any of you have read Darwin's theory of evolution.

In his book he explains how a Island full of one type of bird eats all of the seeds on the island and the birds with the bigger beaks are able to crack open the shells of nuts and eat them and the birds with the bigger beaks are able to survive and pass on their genes while all the other birds die off from starvation. This is solid proof that evolution is real.

This is off the wall but if you take two down syndrome people, male and female and mate them, they are guaranteed to have a down syndrome baby. Is this evolution?

Every race on the planet have different characteristics that define them as different. How did those differences come about? Evolution?

So for any religious person to deny the existence of evolution is only showing their own immaturity. On the flip side of the coin there is no 100% solid evidence that proves we actually evolved from something lesser or greater and yes. there is evidence that suggest that we may have evolved from something lesser or greater doe to similarities in other species of animals but to use this argument to deny the existence that we may have been created by an intelligent designer is just as immature as the latter.

This debate is no different then two children on a playground throwing sand in each others face and if any of you have spent any time reading the bible would probably see this whole good (God) and evil (Satan) crap the same way. A immature jealous child (God) shoving is rival, an immature jealous child (Satan), off of the playground.

My point is we have people on both ends of the ladder fighting like little kids to prove their theory and without 100% solid evidence it is nothing more then a theory and until we find 100% solid evidence to prove ether end of the latter this debate is pointless.

I do agree, also I find the whole evolution debate a tad wasteful of everyone's energy. Of course, I'm a "wait and see" kinda guy with topics like that. I also don't necessarily believe we came from monkeys perhaps the same genome spawned the evolution but saying that we evolved from them seems like saying a whale evolved from a minnow.

To that effect, there are Birds that have significantly different genetic structures than other birds, but they still have wings and feathers and can fly. The number of chromosomes a creature has doesn't necessarily make it close enough to a species with close to the same number to indicate a relationship since each chromosome can carry the instructions for multiple trait combinations.

So lets say that each chromosome can only carry 3 traits, a human has 46 chromosomes which means that there are 97,336 combinations of traits that can be achieved. Realistically the number is more, but that's just an example.

P.S. Side note, two down syndrome people mating won't necessarily make a down syndrome kid as the effects are simply an extra chromosome deformity typically brought on by the age of the mother.

4RK3TYP3

Wanderer
Yep, exactly how it happened. Genie came out of the primordial ooze and bobbed everyone into existence with her magical hair weave.

Aside from god being a white haired old man instead of Jeannie, it is.... According to the bible anyway. Not sure about other religions texts.

4RK3TYP3

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;761404 said:
Aside from god being a white haired old man instead of Jeannie, it is.... According to the bible anyway. Not sure about other religions texts.

Hmmm...God with a magical hair weave, could work it would explain so much.

Maybe Buddha can have magical earlobes?

Rosetta

Wanderer
b0b01;761390 said:
Darwin is outdated by now, he was one of the founders of the theory of evolution however it has been enahnced a lot by now..

Very true.
And in all fairness I did not explain what I was trying to very well. Sometimes I get fogged up - it's a symptom I live with.

I was trying to show the difference between Eugenics, Breeding, and Evolution, while they are all similar, there are major differences. I really do not like Eugenics, though I do see some good from it I also see how it can be abused if taken too far. But without it, I wouldn't have my baby cousin either - so I will have to learn to live with it and accept it sometime.

b0b01;761390 said:
You got my respect for reading them thou, i could never put myself to completely reading those books.
True, after all this is starbucks, probably not the best place to discuss this.

Thank You.
And sorry about the confusion - my part for not reading it right and not explaining clearly as well. I need to avoid these kind of conversations when I get too tired this lol. Just can't think.

Killamus

Knight
Technically, if you wanted to say that energy is God (And, in all aspects, it pretty much fits the definition, aside from the beard - And even then)

Technically, energy can be converted to matter and vice versa. Considering that the amount of energy required to do so really hasn't been seen since the big bag, one might say that before the big bang everything was energy, and was converted to matter during the event.

Also, following that same line of logic, if you say that energy is god, and matter can be converted to energy and vice versa, then technically all humans ARE God - Everything is God.

Well, who knew? Maybe these priests way back when were on to something. They always say "God is within everything"...

Meh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy#Transformations_of_energy

jhs59

Sorceror
Killamus;761523 said:
Also, following that same line of logic, if you say that energy is god, and matter can be converted to energy and vice versa, then technically all humans ARE God - Everything is God.

Well, who knew? Maybe these priests way back when were on to something. They always say "God is within everything"...

Meh.
Energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a bit cheesy but there's a documentary out there called "What the bleep do we know?". Even though a good portion of it is mystical jibber jabber, it does bring up a lot of interesting subjects and ideas regarding energy, quantum mechanics, and religion.

It's worth a watch if you find this thread interesting.