RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you program?

What language?

• Total voters

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Do you program?

I know just about everyone on these programs a little I'm curious how many.

WarAngel

Wanderer
I hardly program anymore, but when I do, it's nearly always in Ruby. C# is badass too, and Java can be alright if it's not intended for use on Windows or Linux. :p

I do a little C++, still learning it though.
Java I know how to do but hardly use it unless its website based.
VB I know some about it from school, only programming class so far.

Kiwi

Knight
I personally like C# and code most of my hobby projects in that.
My school swears by Java so I'm forced to use that as well.
Also taking a short course on C++.
Also taking a course on ASSEMBLY! (yay)

Chronic1801

Wanderer
Ive been trying to learn how to Code C# for a long time.

Im still learning though :p

Hoping to finish my so called "System" Soon! Gonna post it in Script Release when Im done. ;)

Joeku

Lord
Kiwi;709513 said:
all I can ask is WHY?
It looks good on the resume?

What I meant by waiting on the books to come through is, I'm borrowing them from a friend. I wouldn't actually spend money on them...

crackrat

Wanderer
i put c#,c++, and other.

currently of the choices C++ is what I'm trained in. I've picked up C# pretty much on the fly over last few years( I still have to look things up from time to time but good solid logic statements usually;)). i am the programmer/prototype machinist/head of quality control for a small prototype aerospace machine shop so yea I program alot. to much programming in the day, so i dont get much done on free time.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Kiwi;709578 said:
Then put it on the resume. Don't actually learn it.
Places I am trying to get hired at require at least basic (hehe, pun) knowledge of it. VB is easier than C# anyway, not really that big of a deal to learn it.

Anyone program with COBOL?

Peoharen

Sorceror
I kill kobol(d)s all the time. Eer... Yeah... No not really...

Does anyone program in "VCR Clock"? Stupid thing still says 12:00 :(

C# I learned a lot of while working on projects for RunUO shards and some little side projects, plus some i'm-bored-so-i'll-learn-it time. I am in programming again this year at school and feel like re-learning C# from the ground up. Maybe complete something worth looking at. I have a few books and what not and I've read most of them, my main show stopper is not knowing how to properly read lines of text from a file and translate it into a variable value in a Win. Form.

I've also played with unmanaged C++. I didn't like it.

In one of my vocational classes I took one year I learned a little of Visual Basic 6. It was...too basic. I really didn't like that one very much either.

I started to learn a little bit of Java. I did a bit more research and stopped. I thought it would be cool. It's not.

PASCAL I have to learn and know a lot about at this point because it's the language my school makes us learn in our programming class. It's supposedly a good teaching-programming language because of it's structure and not-let-you-stray-too-far nature.

I Cheat

Wanderer
Storm33229;710353 said:
my main show stopper is not knowing how to properly read lines of text from a file and translate it into a variable value in a Win. Form.
Code:
using (StreamReader streamReader = new StreamReader("SOMEFILE.TXT"))
            {
                string currentLine;

while ((currentLine = streamReader.ReadLine()) != null)
                {
                    int value;

if (Int32.TryParse(currentLine, out value))
                    {
                        // its an int
                    }
                }
            }
That code opens a text file and goes through each line checking if the current line is an int, if it is the value will be stored in the var named value, if its not an int then its a string and the text will be stored in the currentLine var.

p.s. i just cooked that up right fast i don't remember if it even works that way as I haven't had time to play with any codes in a few months now.